Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haha Tape IV. Buy in?

Started by Johnny Textface, August 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

I've been away because of stuff but my piece will be with you soon, sorry for delay

NoSleep

No rush. Except to send jonnycuba a rough copy to listen to.

the

How's everyone getting on with theirs then?

NoSleep

Has everyone sent a demo of their track to the next person on the list? Other than that, no rush. I'm spending a fair amount of time working away from home at the moment but trying to work on this whenever I can. Mine's still very much in the early stages of the process despite the man hours spent.

Johnny Textface

I've been snowed under with work and life recently (and unexpectedly) but hoping to give this a real push at the weekend.

thraxx

I'll admit that I am struggling with mine.  I've used this thing as a spur to actually get round to buying a load of new kit that I need, which I've now done, but the film really isn't speaking much to me.  Lot's of noodling, but nothing that I like, or that is sticking.

Caught between using some of the actual pieces of music I want to record, or just doing something stupid.  Pressure of going last doesn't help either - needs to be something memorable and climactic.  It would help to at least know the types of stuff that other people are doing, even it can't be heard.

NoSleep

Quote from: thraxx on October 04, 2017, 08:20:24 AM
I'll admit that I am struggling with mine.  I've used this thing as a spur to actually get round to buying a load of new kit that I need, which I've now done, but the film really isn't speaking much to me.  Lot's of noodling, but nothing that I like, or that is sticking.

Caught between using some of the actual pieces of music I want to record, or just doing something stupid.  Pressure of going last doesn't help either - needs to be something memorable and climactic.  It would help to at least know the types of stuff that other people are doing, even it can't be heard.

Don't get bogged down trying to make the music fit perfectly to the mood of the film, that's not the point. Besides, given how the film ends, it doesn't need a climactic finale, it's almost a disappointment; it was all a daydream and our haunted twat of a leading man burns his plan to go to Mars. If you've already got ideas for pieces, then pick the most appropriate one and use that. The only requirement really is to have commenced recording especially for this project (rather than picking a previously recorded piece off the shelf). But don't let any of that get in the way of doing something really stupid.

If you want to get a feel of what the album may sound like I can only suggest taking a look on our bandcamp site and listening to the previous three albums:

https://cookdandbombdcollective.bandcamp.com/

...and pm Avril Lavigne for their demo if they haven't already sent it to you.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: the on October 03, 2017, 11:14:57 PM
How's everyone getting on with theirs then?

Bloody awfully, the. I still need to send you something to listen to but I've really hit a wall if I'm honest. I'm away today but got a day free tomorrow to just get on with it, hopefully send something then!

falafel

feel free to ignore my travesty if you're lacking for inspiration, listen to some bowie instead

gabrielconroy

This week is the deadline for a project at work I've been doing for the past six months so it's pretty tough times. But I have next week off - I'll do mine then and send it on.

thraxx

This project has compelled me to say 'fuck it' and I'm getting an Arturia Minilab later this week.  The older MK1 version with the 5000 synth voices.  Fits by shoestring budget but that'll sort this shit out I reckon.

Phil_A

I'm off work next week, so I'll hopefully get this wrapped up then. It's pretty much just the mixing and EQing left to do, which happens to be the part I find the most painstaking and tedious. I just need a couple of days to sit down with nothing else on my mind and get it done.

Dusty Gozongas

Mine's getting there although I'm sort of taking my time on it. Phil_A already guilted me into making a start on it so the hard bit's already done ;)

Beagle 2

Hoping I can make a start this weekend. I had a look at Garage Band last night for the first time since it was updated, and it's rather good these days isn't it? Ideal for idiots like me who are used to blundering around in Logic not really knowing what the fuck they're doing. So I'll try and do it in that.

Beagle 2

Er, right, sorry to be awkward but whoever uploaded the movie has removed it. Luckily I already downloaded it, but I'm not sure where my 7 minutes kicks off?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Oh shit!

I've still barely done anything but (da da-da daaaa!!) I've bought new pickups for my Strat and I'm basically not going to put it down for weeks so will hopefully be writing something soon.

I've downloaded the previous 4 albums though, some excellent stuff on there! The mixing on most of its really great, makes me realise how far I've got to go.

NoSleep

No rush, anybody (apart from sending a rough of your track to the person next on the list when you can). If you need some assistance in mixing, let me know; it's my day job.

ArtParrott

I should have something to send to Petey Pate this weekend.

NoSleep

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 11, 2017, 07:57:30 PM
Er, right, sorry to be awkward but whoever uploaded the movie has removed it. Luckily I already downloaded it, but I'm not sure where my 7 minutes kicks off?

It's the 1h 51m version of the film we need to use (if somebody didn't download it and needs to view the film again).

We each have 7 minutes of the film and you can tell where your 7 minutes start by looking at the URL in the list, which includes a timestamp of where your portion of the film starts in seconds. So Beagle's section begins at 1255 seconds and ends at 1675 = 20m55s - 27m55s.

NoSleep

As you downloaded the film, another easy way to find the start time is to view it in VLC. Use the "Jump To Time" function (in the "Playback" menu or "⌘J" on a Mac, "CTRL + T" on a PC.) and then type "1255" (if you're Beagle 2).

NoSleep

Beagle 2

NoSleep

Just checking that everyone has both sent a demo to the next person on the list and received one from the person preceding them on the list?

gabrielconroy

I just sent an mp3 of what I've got so far to Beagle 2. Haven't had anything yet from jonnycuba, though.

Petey Pate

Haven't made a lot of progress on my track, mainly due to familial situations that I won't get into here, but I have received a demo from ArtParrott.

NoSleep

The names in red are the ones I know from memory who have sent demos on so far. The may be some more that I've forgotten.

01) Dr Syntax Head
02) jonnycuba
03) gabrielconroy
04) Beagle 2
05) drummersaredeaf
06) NoSleep
07) Phil_A
08) Dusty Gozongas
09) falafel
10) Rich Uncle Skeleton
11) the
12) Johnny Textface
13) ArtParrott
14) Petey Pate
15) Avril Lavigne
16) thraxx

the

I'll send an excerpt of mine on shortly (next few days). Sorry, tricky for me cos I don't really draft whole songs, I get enough ideas together then start constructing it from bar 1 onwards (which is the bit I'm now on).

I haven't had anything from RUS yet.

Dr Syntax Head

I forgot about this. I'm a failure. Will get on it

Edit. I'm a MBV fan so 1 day for me equals about 15 for you guys

NoSleep

Quote from: the on November 06, 2017, 10:03:17 AM
I'll send an excerpt of mine on shortly (next few days). Sorry, tricky for me cos I don't really draft whole songs, I get enough ideas together then start constructing it from bar 1 onwards (which is the bit I'm now on).

I haven't had anything from RUS yet.

Send forward a bit that sounds like it's likely to make a good ending (even if you're unsure). Or send whatever you've got with some notes. It's just to give an impression of what your track might sound like.

drummersaredeaf sent his to me and told me the ending might change, but I've still gone ahead and assumed it might end along the lines that he suggested.

If two tracks sound really incompatible after they're finished, then the trick is to leave a slightly longer gap between the tracks; nothing can stop us.

NoSleep

Quote from: gabrielconroy on November 05, 2017, 07:57:30 PM
I just sent an mp3 of what I've got so far to Beagle 2. Haven't had anything yet from jonnycuba, though.

He has apparently sent you a pm last night after reading your post.

Quote from: NoSleep on November 06, 2017, 09:49:29 AM

01) Dr Syntax Head
02) jonnycuba
03) gabrielconroy
04) Beagle 2
05) drummersaredeaf
06) NoSleep
07) Phil_A
08) Dusty Gozongas
09) falafel
10) Rich Uncle Skeleton
11) the