Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:53:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haha Tape IV. Buy in?

Started by Johnny Textface, August 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Reckon we can get an edit of the film ready for the debut of the album? I know that will take time but it would be an amazing way to experience it for the first time, and we've waited this long.

NoSleep

We have 70 minutes of music to cover a film 111 minutes long so some decisions would need to be made. Given that each track should be present in its entirety during the segment that it was assigned, I suppose we could edit bits of some of the tracks to act as filler where there would otherwise be silence.

I think that should await the release of the album as the film is was only a starting point for us to create the music. Fun can be had copying and pasting the music to the visuals later on.

It might be more apt, for those inclined, to use clips from the film to create a video for their music.

My own track is the same length as the clip I was given and I used the visuals to cue changes in the music, although it wouldn't necessarily count as a soundtrack to what is seen.

Beagle 2

We could try and chop the film down to an abridged 70 minute version possibly? Even take out some whole sections and have mocked up cards explaining what has transpired in the meantime.

Quote from: NoSleep on August 06, 2019, 11:19:12 AM

It might be more apt, for those inclined, to use clips from the film to create a video for their music.

Well I can certainly do that, but it would be great to have an all-in-one version.

NoSleep

After the album's released, though (won't be long now).

NoSleep

There's an extant edited-down version of the film that runs at 80 minutes, that's already rather confusing if you enjoy plot threads that go somewhere (I think it probably originated in the US as a "de-commied" version of the film).

Johnny Textface

What's the best quality of the film we can get? YouTube quality?

NoSleep

gabrielconroy

Excellent stuff. I had done a roughly 7 minute version but ended up cutting it right down. And it wasn't set to the events on screen as such, in any case, more inspired by the mood and aesthetic.

For the title/artist name, I'll go with

Artist: Swich Licour
Track: Fragment

falafel

the

McFlymo and Rich Uncle Skeleton - can you post a title for your track, and your artist name (if different from your CaB name)? Thanks!

Track:Artist:Poster:
      01)McFlymo
      02)Mystery of MarsOther Mirrorjonnycuba
      03)FragmentSwich Licourgabrielconroy
      04)Queen of Mars>Beagle 2
      05)Meet Mr. Erlich>drummersaredeaf
      06)Kratsov>NoSleep
      07)Hidden ApparatusWireless WorldPhil_A
      08)The Freezing, A Lullaby And The Device DestroyedGökçekentDusty Gozongas
      09)Otvlecheniye>falafel
      10)Rich Uncle Skeleton
      11)This Empire>the
      12)MulchDoglikeJohnny Textface
      13)GravityPebble MillArtParrott
      14)SoatseraPiti PejtPetey Pate
      15)FlootY Groeshummingofevil

NoSleep

I reckon McFlymo should entitle his one 'Anta Odeli Uta'; a tireless classic.

Petey Pate

Artist: Piti Pejt
Track: Soatsera

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Mines called "What On Earth (Los Returns)"

McFlymo

Quote from: NoSleep on August 09, 2019, 09:42:06 AM
I reckon McFlymo should entitle his one 'Anta Odeli Uta'; a tireless classic.

What's all this? I don't mind! Work away on calling it what you would like.

Artist name: Doctor Lilt

Title (if you don't want to go with 'Anta Odeli Uta'): Flat Earth

NoSleep I will get that unmastered mix over to you by Monday at the latest, I pwomiss.

the

That's the full complement then:

Track:Artist:Poster:
      01)Flat EarthDoctor LiltMcFlymo
      02)Mystery of MarsOther Mirrorjonnycuba
      03)FragmentSwich Licourgabrielconroy
      04)Queen of Mars>Beagle 2
      05)Meet Mr. Erlich>drummersaredeaf
      06)Kratsov>NoSleep
      07)Hidden ApparatusWireless WorldPhil_A
      08)The Freezing, A Lullaby And The Device DestroyedGökçekentDusty Gozongas
      09)Otvlecheniye>falafel
      10)What On Earth (Los Returns)>Rich Uncle Skeleton
      11)This Empire>the
      12)MulchDoglikeJohnny Textface
      13)GravityPebble MillArtParrott
      14)SoatseraPiti PejtPetey Pate
      15)FlootY Groeshummingofevil

Art and design stuff's all done, now we just sit tight and patiently wait for the mastered audio gold to start pouring out of the speakers.

Was there talk of doing a CaB Radio event or similar for the launch?

NoSleep

Quote from: McFlymo on August 10, 2019, 09:47:52 PM
What's all this? I don't mind! Work away on calling it what you would like.

'Anta Odeli Uta' is the mysterious message that is received all over Earth at the start of the film and Loss believes that it is from Mars. Later it is discovered to be an ad for tyres.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Wait , it's Loss? Christ, cancel the album.

NoSleep

Depends on which translation you read. I think it possibly changes from one spelling to another in the same copy.

NoSleep

There's also one extra [bonus] track: Dr Syntax Head's original submission for the opening track, which is only available in 128kbps AAC format (which sounds OK), so...

16) A Map [bonus track] - Dr Syntax Head

I got the title from the m4a.

Beagle 2

I'm really bloody looking forward to this. Reading the track listing is whetting my appetite.

NoSleep

I used Handbrake to rip the video from the DVD copy of Aelita that I have. Looks pretty damn good; better than all the rips I've seen online (I "decombed" it which has helped a lot, over others I've seen), but a larger file size, especially considering it's audio-free; 1.26GB.

Offered here just in case you can't find the DVD anywhere online: Aelita (silent) 1.26GB

Don't know how pure or lossless this rip is; any advice about what I've done would be helpful (just needed a format that would work in iMovie).

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Shame this 4k version isn't available ! I don't know a thing about film licensing but would have assumed a blu ray would have followed to get the costs back. Perhaps that's incredibly naive.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/latest/aelita-queen-mars-digitised

NoSleep

That is a huge improvement on what I have. Lots of extra detail visible as if ours was out of focus. Looks like they are clocking in a little longer than ours. That could be improved running speed or extra footage.

olliebean

Slightly galling that they've chosen to illustrate an article about a 4k version with a video clip that only goes up to 1080p...

the

Really looking forward to this. Two weeks away from the two-year mark.

NoSleep

While I've been waiting for drummersaredeaf to deliver their final retweaked mix, I've been playing around with iMovie. The music gels nicely with the video a lot of the time. Rich Uncle Skeleton seems to have strayed in his viewing into the's portion of the film so he provides spoilers for scenes yet to come. Fortunately I have the vocals separate to the music for this track, so I can do an edit that's spoiler free. There's plenty of scope for extending and editing the tracks to fit the movie (just to add to the confusion of the plot - Lynchian).
Because thraxx pulled out we don't have a finale, but we do have a bonus track from Dr Syntax Head which can be used, somewhere.
What I would like to ask is for anyone able to; can you pm me with stems from your mixes to help fill the gaps. It would be useful to have breakdowns to elements and maybe even little callbacks here and there; like a real OST. No worries if this isn't possible, as I can follow George Romero's suit and make new music from the existing tracks via FX, like he did with standard library music in The Night Of The Living Dead.

I'll collect all the stems together and can make them available to others to have a try at making their own edit of the film once we've got a release date. I'm sure some fun could be had with this.

the

Just to be clear, is the standard release of the album going to consist of the tracks in sequence as-delivered? (ie. with no extending and making it fit the film - I presume that would be a separate supplementary project)