Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haha Tape IV. Buy in?

Started by Johnny Textface, August 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

The movie stuff is a side issue. The album is a compilation of the tracks I've collected from you all.

the

Quote from: NoSleep on August 30, 2019, 01:44:01 PMThe movie stuff is a side issue. The album is a compilation of the tracks I've collected from you all.

Thought that's what was meant, cool.

In terms of the film-soundtracking version, a very workable way of doing it would be using Ableton Live (if you have access to it). You can have the video in the timeline and cut the tracks to it, and create extensions around that (using parts of the tracks or extra parts you add in), mixing and using effects and any VSTs as you go. Then at the end you can render the whole thing as a video file (and do a separate audio export if desired).

(If things get really wigged out you can re-sync/time warp the video and do visual cuts locked to the beat too.)

Rich Uncle Skeleton

In my defence I assumed scoring the film wasn't the aim but I confess I did end up nicking an extra minute of film to give my narrator something interesting to finish on , sorry the

So yeah I'm sorry it's now created a bit of a headache. If possible I'd prefer to leave my track as an instrumental then in the film. perhaps quickly restore a section I abandoned earlier if we've now got any extra time to play with separate to the album itself? My war of the worlds narrator is an alright idea with the album but there's no point having him gassing on when you're actually watching the film!

NoSleep

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 30, 2019, 02:37:09 PM
In my defence I assumed scoring the film wasn't the aim but I confess I did end up nicking an extra minute of film to give my narrator something interesting to finish on , sorry the

So yeah I'm sorry it's now created a bit of a headache. If possible I'd prefer to leave my track as an instrumental then in the film. perhaps quickly restore a section I abandoned earlier if we've now got any extra time to play with separate to the album itself? My war of the worlds narrator is an alright idea with the album but there's no point having him gassing on when you're actually watching the film!

It isn't a headache at all (as I can play around with the voiceover separately). We should keep the track as it is for the album, but if you have an extended version of the music I'll take that for the film. I might keep some of the voices for the film, possibly keep them all (and use the "spoiler" across the intro to the's track).

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Sorry yeah thats what I meant just leaving the track as is on the album. I'm away this week but will sort out the extended one when I get back and upload the stems etc

NoSleep

Quote from: the on August 10, 2019, 10:20:01 PM

06)Kratsov>NoSleep

I made an error, mine should be:

06)Kravtsov>NoSleep

falafel

I can provide stems in a week or so when I'm back from hols .

NoSleep

No need to worry about stems (absolutely nobody has sent me any), as I've discovered some nice loops and stings amongst the tracks that will suffice for editing the sound to extend over the film version I'm concocting (I won't let this delay the release of the album at all, just a little side project).

I now have all the finished tracks from everyone so I think it will finished by the other side of the weekend. I'll have to liaise with the to make sure the artwork is all in place.

Album launches have traditionally fallen on a Sunday afternoon for various reasons. But I best check what is happening that day on (spam) (don't want to overlap, but it might be unavoidable). Tentative date of the launch will therefore be Sunday 15th September, sometime in the afternoon.

NoSleep

Looks like it may have to be a Saturday or Wednesday evening this time around.

NoSleep

Phil says Sunday afternoon is fine with him, so let's say Sunday afternoon 15th September (probably around 1500) for the launch.

the

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2019, 03:57:29 PMI now have all the finished tracks from everyone so I think it will finished by the other side of the weekend. I'll have to liaise with the to make sure the artwork is all in place.

Album launches have traditionally fallen on a Sunday afternoon for various reasons. But I best check what is happening that day on (spam) (don't want to overlap, but it might be unavoidable). Tentative date of the launch will therefore be Sunday 15th September, sometime in the afternoon.

Yep, the artwork is in place, it should be right there on the HHT4 page when you log into the Bandcamp account.

Really looking forward to the launch. So there'll be a companion broadcast?

NoSleep

Yeh, CaB Radio will be on from around 1500-ish on Sunday 15th. I'll fire up Skype as well so that I can talk to various contributors about their tracks as we go through the album. So make sure you're Skype-ready by Sunday.

That reminds me. Connected to that I would like you all to write an explanation of your track to be added on the bandcamp site. Stuff about how you created the track and how you used your clip from the film (if at all); go crazy. You can post them in here. I'll make Dusty's blurb up from stuff he sent me in pm's and in this thread.

Johnny Textface

jonnycuba

When NoSleep asked for contributions for an Aelita: Queen of Mars inspired track I jumped at the chance, I had discovered the film when my Mrs hipped me to the suprematist costume and set design by Alexandra Exter. I was instantly hooked! My contribution, Mystery of Mars started as a beat I had in the stash, a simple affair including the strings, synths, drums and bass. This neatly dovetailed with the forming of a new band including myself, and James Tilley, a multi instrumentalist - Other Mirror. James set to work weaving live guitars and bass around the bare bones of the original beat, turning it into a swirling, spacey rock, jazz, prog, library soundtrack.

NoSleep

Thanks, jonny. Keep these coming, folks. One for each of the tracks.

Beagle 2

I thought there was a decent chance that most of the tracks on this album would be instrumental, cinematic pieces, so I wanted to do something a bit more rousing and anthemic to break it up a bit, especially as my section of the film kicks off with a drunken party scene. The lyrics are written from the perspective of Los, his increasing paranoia, delusions and daydreams of becoming Martian royalty. The samples are from my friend chatting to his four-year-old daughter, I asked him to record them chatting about whether she thought there was a Queen up on Mars.

Petey Pate

I'll be sure to write some liner notes later.

Was also thinking that it might be worth creating a poster for the launch date, so contributors can share it on their social medias and whatnot. If people are interested, I could put something together?

NoSleep

Go ahead. I can pm you the artwork for the album if it's any help. Also, check out the bandcamp now that the has spruced the place up in neon cook'd and bomb'd blue.

Petey Pate

Does anyone happen to know the name of the font used for the 'CookdandBombd Collective' text on the Bandcamp banner and album cover (if it was a pre-existing font and not newly designed)?

the

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 11, 2019, 09:50:53 PMDoes anyone happen to know the name of the font used for the 'CookdandBombd Collective' text on the Bandcamp banner and album cover (if it was a pre-existing font and not newly designed)?

It's not a font, it was bastardised from some Cyrillic text on the printed inlay of a brand of Russian blank cassette.

Phil_A

I read a spurious and probably unverifiable fact somewhere that Dmitri Shostakovitch had performed a live piano accompaniment at the film's screening in Leningrad, so this was the point I started from. As no record of this score exists in any form, if it ever did, I decided to imagine what a Shostakovitch score for a science fiction film would be like, using cut-up sections of his contemporary work as a basis. Well, that was the plan, anyway.

The other main element was sparked by the mention of Gor and his hidden apparatus(steady), which immediately made me picture immense concealed machinery operating out of site behind these fantastical structures. With this in mind I tried to alter parts of my track to sound like the workings of strange secret machines.

Looking back on my old PMs as I write this is making me a bit melancholy, as Dusty was following me in the chain and I'll never forget how kind he was about my amateur fumblings. Really bloody nice bloke.

the

I won't be around for a few days, so I hope the launch show goes well and hopefully I can catch up with it after the weekend.

Petey Pate

the and I have collaborated on a poster. Unfortunately I can't make any changes to the .psd file now, would any Photoshop users be able to make some changes to it? PM me and I'll send you the .psd file and the font used for the text.

NoSleep

NoSleep

I'm hoping to Skype at least some of you during the cast on Sunday. My Skype moniker is nosleepnigel so add that to your user list before Sunday afternoon if possible. I'll leave Skype on to catch your requests.

Petey Pate

Here's the poster, a collaborative effort by me, the and NoSleep (click to enlarge).

Feel free to share this wherever you see fit.

My section predominantly contains some acts of mischief from professional Herbert, Mr. Elrich. Los meets Elrich for the first time, and is visibly jealous, and Elrich gets up to all sorts of Herbert activities - generally sleazing and stealing. My idea was prompting by the look of longing from Los as he gazes at the new tenant and his wife seemingly flirting - a sense of hopelessness, frustration and despair.

This project prompted me to sign up so to commit to actually making a piece of music with all the assorted tat I've acquired and never really gotten round to using. Twin Peaks 3 was mid-flow when I recorded my initial ideas, and I went to channel my inner Angelo Badalamenti with a pad setting after going with some guitar chord stabs and applying a motif over the top. Originally thinking about filling 7 minutes I set about a change in mood and went about trying to remix myself at the end but decided a short mood change was enough - and somewhat reflective of what happens in my portion of the film. Really I set out to create something that felt almost lyrical, kind of languid in delivery, but also beset by tension as Los fears his love slipping away.

Thanks have to be extended to NoSleep who overcame my inadequacies to fix the mix too.

There's jokes to be made about NoSleep sorting out my bottom end which I'm too mature to make there btw.

NoSleep

Likewise how your trouser arrangement might affect things.

No one has ever Skyped clothed from the waist down. I refuse to be told otherwise.