Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haha Tape IV. Buy in?

Started by Johnny Textface, August 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

No need; I can treat yours as a solo track and edit it. One thing that I miss in the film is that the shaker section would go nicely with some of the train footage, but that can all be done with edits and crossfades.

NoSleep

I've added a dedication to Dusty on the main page of our Bandcamp. Sorry for the lateness, but I've been chilling since the release day (between working). I'll add some more about the making of the album as well as writing the blurb for my own track.

hummingofevil

So finally having a PROPER listen to this (i.e. with MOTD on and just having it as background music).

It's really fucking good ladies and gents. You really are a talented bunch.

NoSleep

In preparation for finalising the film (nowhere near as yet) I've been looking at the 1h20m version of the film, as it has a different translation of the intertitles which is sometimes better but generally worse than the one in the print of the film we opted with. Curiously, the shortened version doesn't seemed to have lost much, if anything, of the original plot (I haven't investigated very thoroughly, though). All they seemed to have done is cut a load of lingering flab from the original's shots. Also, some of the clips look like they have been slightly sped up. Anyway, I prefer the longer cut for our purposes; it works well with the music.

I wanted ask anyone if they had found some of the intertitles slightly confusing. A couple I have issues with are when Loss finds *something" in Natasha's coat pocket, that Erlich planted there. I think it's a piece of jewelry pried or stolen from Spiridinov that Erlich is hiding from the eyes of the police. Problem is that the translation has Loss tell Natasha that he found the "note"; doesn't look like a note in his hand when we see it.
Near the end, as he awakens from his dream of Mars, Loss says to Gussev and Masha that he killed his wife but he is going back to see her. I think he should really say something about going back to face the consequences of killing her. When he gets back home, there are police at the gates (but they're there to attend to Erlich) and Loss is surprised that they don't seem interested in his return to the scene of the crime. Then he discovers her alive and well (and surprisingly forgiving).
I have to find a copy of the film with Russian titles and translate it myself to get a sense of what is missing from the English titles.
And another missing bit is a subtitle for the letter he reads before going away on business; the letter says that it will take him away for a year. With our version of the film it's a bit of a mystery what it says other than Natasha's inferring that it's an offer for him to go away.
Are there any other bits that are similarly confusing?

Petey Pate

As an addendum to this, I just found out that there was a 3 oscillator synthesizer manufactured in the USSR during the 1980s called the 'Aelita'. Too bad that no one managed to use one of these on any of their tracks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aelita_(synthesizer)

Here's an EP created using multitracked sounds generated by this synth. You can also get samples of it in the Samples From Mars' Soviet Synths pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpd7jPGLbCI

NoSleep

I think we've talked about the Aelita synth in this thread or elsewhere ((spam) chatroom?) as the above just reminded me of that.

Progress has been made toward Aelita: The Music Video but I've not really touched it in the last two months. I've managed to create decent edits of falafel* & Rich Uncle Skeleton's tracks and still have to look at Jonnycuba, Petey & Phil's tracks. Also still have work out what to do with the gaps which I filled in the first draft with just the drone from my own contribution.

*would still love to get those promised piano stems from falafel, please; they would definitely help in filling the gaps in the soundtrack.

the

Quote from: Petey Pate on January 10, 2020, 12:28:05 PMAs an addendum to this, I just found out that there was a 3 oscillator synthesizer manufactured in the USSR during the 1980s called the 'Aelita'.

Don't know if you know it, but there's a very entertaining documentary film about Russian synthesisers and electronic music called Elektro Moskva (2013).

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Great stuff nosleep, look forward to seeing/hearing it !

Might give the whole album another spin tonight I think, l loved it all but Flat Earth by McFlymo still gets a regular play. Won't bang on too much but that ones bloody incredible, remember the hairs on the back of the neck going when those high pitch pads etc come in at the 5 minute mark. Great stuff.

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on January 13, 2020, 02:26:06 PM
Great stuff nosleep, look forward to seeing/hearing it !

Might give the whole album another spin tonight I think, l loved it all but Flat Earth by McFlymo still gets a regular play. Won't bang on too much but that ones bloody incredible, remember the hairs on the back of the neck going when those high pitch pads etc come in at the 5 minute mark. Great stuff.

Lovely pad work on that track.