Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mitchell & Webb are Back..

Started by Steven, August 19, 2017, 08:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Like others, I thought this was the strongest episode yet. Miles better dynamic between the two leads and McGivern is going pleasingly more mental. His line about blinding the kids was terrific. Can  see the seeds of why this would be a decent series to keep going beyond six episodes.

The notion that Andrew is the devil is clearly a joke designed to show Steven is going a bit mental BUT - I would bloody love it if he turned out to be an actual demon and supernaturally unfortunate stuff started occurring. It would also make sense of the OTT vicar stuff in the second episode. Come on, Simon Blackwell - full on Webb exorcism by ep 6 please!

Icehaven

Did someone else write this one? Apart from the ''Mummy does drugs!'' subplot (really She'd have done more drugs than we've had hot dinners my friend) this was waay better (the pork scratching reaction actually made me laugh). The cartoonishness and pace finally worked. And Webb set fire to the pub, right?

Serge

No, it was written by Simon Blackwell - I've noticed that the credit every week has been 'Created and Written By...', so I was waiting to see if there were any episodes he didn't write, but so far, they've all been him.

I don't think it was Andrew who torched the pub - wasn't he with Stephen's sister after they got back from their trip? I'm not sure he'd have had chance.

olliebean

Quote from: Serge on October 01, 2017, 11:25:33 AMI don't think it was Andrew who torched the pub - wasn't he with Stephen's sister after they got back from their trip? I'm not sure he'd have had chance.

Besides, he was clearly aiming to get her to sell him her share of the business, so for him to set fire to it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Enid Coleslaw

If it was him, he'd have checked to make sure the insurance was up to date, wouldn't he?

olliebean

Wouldn't make any difference if it burned down before he got a share of it.

Serge

Didn't anybody watch this last night or something?

I thought this was another fairly decent episode, the only thing that let it down for me was the over-the-top ranting man who spotted the dog shitting on the path - I don't expect 100% realism, but that was so unbelievable that it took me right out of it. Other than that, pretty good. The biggest laugh was Geoff beating the shit out the scammer in the car park, though I loved the day care line - is there a law that Clive Russell has to be in everything? It was pretty obvious that his sister wouldn't really go travelling for long, and I wish he'd held on to the information about the offer on the pub for a bit longer, though I did like the fact that his mum was obviously keen on accepting the money but couldn't say so.

Was that the fifth one? Is next week's the last of the series? Will be interesting to see how they wrap it up.

Ringside

Another good one, I agree. And I also agree with you about the ranting man...seemed awkwardly jammed in there.

I've very much enjoyed this series, more than most here, it seems.

Serge

I had a dream last night that I was watching the final episode of this, and it turned out that Webb was a wrong 'un, but Mitchell forgave him, and they demolished the pub and built a massive shopping centre, which Mitchell owned and Webb ran. I suspect that won't be how it actually ends.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Serge on October 11, 2017, 11:14:07 AM
I had a dream last night that I was watching the final episode of this, and it turned out that Webb was a wrong 'un, but Mitchell forgave him, and they demolished the pub and built a massive shopping centre, which Mitchell owned and Webb ran. I suspect that won't be how it actually ends.

Imagine if that's *exactly* how it ends. You'll be well freaked out, mate. You'll be all " Woah! I totally dreamt that ending, dude!" (except in British English with a Derby accent ).

I, personally, hope that David Mitchell gets a shag out of her off " The Thick Of It ". He deserves it.

( On the programme, not in real life. He doesn't deserve it in real life, 'cos he's married to Victoria Coren, the spawny git )

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

He didn't get a shag out of her off " The Thick Of It ". :(

Serge

Well, you have to assume that he probably did when they were married.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about that episode. It lacked the big 'Ta-da!' kind of ending that it often seemed to be building up to, and we're still really none the wiser on Andrew's twisty nature - I suppose they want to keep something back in case it gets recommissioned. I thought the 'twist' that Stephen wasn't really Laurie's son was a bit cruel. Though I did like Andrew having his nose put out of joint by the other fostered kid being such a big hit.

Icehaven

So all that cancer stuff was just to set up an absurdly rushed 'twist' revelation that Mitchell isn't really the dead Dad's son? Anyone else think it was about to turn out that the mad uncle was his real Dad?

Serge

That didn't occur to me, but it would have been more interesting! McGivern was great again - I loved the way he just walked behind the bar to get his drink, and the completely unfazed way he reacted to the change in menu.

Huh. Bit of a damp squib of an ending.

Yeah, I suppose it's to make sure the juicy stuff is held back for further series to be commissioned but it felt a bit like nothing had progressed since the first ep. Not sure it's a plot suited to a six-episode per year programme. Feels more like the storyline of an American sitcom where they have 20-odd episodes to explore it and let the characters breathe more.

Fambo Number Mive

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 12, 2017, 05:37:14 PM
Loved the bit in the library.

I thought that was an example of the show's bad writing. If he'd just jumped up and said "he maimed a child, get in!" and seen all the people look at him, that would be fine. Jumping around being extra loud and extra specific to the point where it was completely unrealistic was a bit crap. Maybe thats just my problem though.

Dr Rock

So there's no payoff in the last episode about whether Jez is really Mark's 'brother'? Sod that, I'm not watching.