Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:49:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Detectorists Series 3

Started by Enzo, August 22, 2017, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 14, 2017, 07:09:43 AM
I woke my wife up by chuckling in bed about Lance shooing away the other detectorists.

Felt there were a couple of references in this that I didn't quite get. Was the pub summit based  on a specific western? And was the synthy version of the theme tune when they were erecting the new gazebo an allusion to something else? It brought to mind Witness when the Amish built their church but wasn't sure how the music fit.

It was definitely a homage to Witness with the score mirroring that of Maurice Jarre and even including similar dialogue and imagery.

I came to this late but have thoroughly enjoyed it's bucolic loveliness. A pitch perfect ensemble cast but Toby Jones and Rachael Sterling were superb.

MuteBanana

"Button World. I'd go."

I loved that line. Beautifully delivered by Sophie Thompson.

I also loved Kate explaining to Lance how karma worked and telling him to stop being a bully. A lovely relationship they have.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 14, 2017, 10:31:28 AM
It was good, but... I don't know... perhaps there was no ideal way to end such a perfect series. Becky just borrowing the money from her mum seemed a bit uninspired. Everything else though, can't really complain.

There isn't going to be a fourth series, is there. Damn.

The inspiration was in Emma Peel finally realising what a good man Andy was. She's been thawing towards him throughout the series.

timcooke1982

Just tremendous.  A true piece of art in a world filled with a lot of TV that is good but often tries too hard.

This show had that delicate balance down from S01E01 through to the end.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Serge on December 14, 2017, 10:03:26 AM
Yeah, that was an absolutely perfect episode to end with. Even Simon & Garfunkel got their redemption. Plus bonus Kevin Eldon.

I loved Simon and Garfunkel being welcomed into the fold. It made perfect sense and was a great strand to add to the final episode. It's hard to believe it's the end. It seems like something that could trundle along and pop up again every few years but it was ended in such a heartwarming way that it will be good to leave it where it is.

Was delighted to see Kevin Eldon too. Absolutely solid in everything.

Small Man Big Horse

Chalk me up as another "loved this to pieces, cried a bit at the end" type. There's an interesting interview with Crook here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/detectorists/interview/mackenzie_crook/ - which suggests it's unlikely there'll be any more (for a fair old while, at the very least) and I'd be perfectly happy with that as it was such a fantastic ending, and I wouldn't wish them risking spoiling that. Sounds like there's some great extras on the dvd release at least, and I've pre-ordered my copy for that reason alone.

holyzombiejesus

According to Amazon, the series 3 DVD doesn't contain  the Christmas special. However, customer reviews state that it's a 2 disc set, with the second disc presumably containing all the extra bits that McKenzie talks about in SMBH's link. There is also a 3 series, 3 disc box set that contains the Christmas special but, presumably, none of the extras from the third series

RedRevolver

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 14, 2017, 11:47:52 PM
The inspiration was in Emma Peel finally realising what a good man Andy was. She's been thawing towards him throughout the series.

Who's Emma Peel?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: RedRevolver on December 15, 2017, 05:07:03 PM
Who's Emma Peel?
Diana Rigg played Emma Peel in The Avengers. She also plays the part of Veronica, Becky's mum (and is Rachel Stirling's actual mum) in Detectorists. Capiche?

MuteBanana

Yeah I was blanking on her name in the show.

Oh how good was Lance shooing the others away. Geratcha!

trabuch

Good in every sense of the word. I am a better person for having watched it. The cut away to all the detectorists in a group prior to Lance shooing them away got the biggest laugh, but there are always so many. It's a pretty faultless piece of work. Mackenzie Crook has produced something way way better and more enduring than The Office.

MuteBanana

I've just thought. Kate probably wasnt that bad a flatmate. Lance just had a hard time adjusting to I've just thought. Kate probably wasnt that bad a flatmate. Lance just had a hard time adjusting to living with someone.

Also Kate adjusting to living in sleepy Danebury where dropping your keys late at night is a serious offence.

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 16, 2017, 12:29:26 PM
I've just thought. Kate probably wasnt that bad a flatmate. Lance just had a hard time adjusting to I've just thought. Kate probably wasnt that bad a flatmate. Lance just had a hard time adjusting to living with someone.

Also Kate adjusting to living in sleepy Danebury where dropping your keys late at night is a serious offence.

Err, I think something went wrong here.

Hat FM

Quote from: trabuch on December 15, 2017, 11:41:46 PM
Mackenzie Crook has produced something way way better and more enduring than The Office.

i don't wana start a debate here(!) but i don't think the detectorists would have happened without mackenzie learning a lot from gervais and merchant while making the office.

also, why couldn't Becky get a mortgage?

wooders1978

Becky is unemployed isn't she? Bit of a barrier

zomgmouse

I love how earnestly happy the ending was. After so many episodes where the treasure was just out of reach or some bit of miscommunication held off a proper resolution, it felt so pure and peaceful to have everything conclude so well for everyone. That satisfying feeling of everything finally falling into place.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Everyone except Russell & Hugh got something lovely (even if it was just "the day to day continuation of a beautiful marriage, up a tree", rather than proposal/dreamhouse/gold levels of one off). Ah well.

Laughing and tearing up we were, in my house.

axel

The xmas special from the other year was on again last night. Hopefully now on the iplayer.

gib

Tried to save all these for xmas but watched them over the last 2 nights. Just hearing the theme tune makes my eyes wet with joy. Never seen anything quite like it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 14, 2017, 11:46:11 PM
"Button World. I'd go."

I loved that line. Beautifully delivered by Sophie Thompson.

Me too.  The emphasis on 'world', as in " 'Button Woooooorld'......I'd go....."

Yep, pretty near perfect for me.  As we lifted away when the coins came out of the tree I was wondering whether or not, as we'd got to a certain height, we'd see the rest of the detectorists turn around and start running back, as if Andy and Lance had called them over, which would have been a nice inclusive ending for everyone, including Russell and Hugh and one-time rivals Simon and Garfunkel.  That, for me, was the only way they could have topped it.  Which is a compliment to the show.

SteK

Quote from: Hat FM on December 16, 2017, 11:09:02 PM
i don't wana start a debate here(!) but i don't think the detectorists would have happened without mackenzie learning a lot from gervais and merchant while making the office.

also, why couldn't Becky get a mortgage?

Notice too how Lance drives a TR7 and Gareth Keenan 'restored' a TR6 in 'The Office' - or it was mentioned he did in S1 EP1 I think.

Hat FM

Quote from: SteK on December 18, 2017, 12:18:43 PM
Notice too how Lance drives a TR7 and Gareth Keenan 'restored' a TR6 in 'The Office' - or it was mentioned he did in S1 EP1 I think.

ah i hadn't noticed that. nice reference.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Hat FM on December 16, 2017, 11:09:02 PM
i don't wana start a debate here(!) but i don't think the detectorists would have happened without mackenzie learning a lot from gervais and merchant while making the office

He probably learned a few things from Derek, too.

[edit: I am implying he learned how not to make a shit programme]

Shit Good Nose

Another lovely little moment that I haven't seen mentioned yet is where the one who talks non-stop (but we never hear or see her talk) finds that ring and then way off in the background out of focus behind Andy and Lance she's down on one knee proposing.  Most, if not all other shows, drama and comedy, would have had everyone crowding round clapping and cheering.  But in this it's just a lovely quiet little moment that just happens with no fuss.  Perfect and very well observed.

MuteBanana

I loved the background proposal as it kept the theme of her never speaking on camera.

I used to think she was played by Oona Chaplin.

zomgmouse

Oh wow holy shit - this may have been already pointed out but I just discovered this - not only does Diana Rigg play Becky's mother, but she is actually also Rachael Stirling (who plays Becky)'s actual real life mother in actual real life as well. Actually. Oh my god.

Crabwalk

*activate mundane anecdote mode*

Diana Rigg was Chancellor of Stirling University in the late 90s, and not only did she 'cap' me at my graduation, but before that I was invited to her inauguration ceremony (as station manager of the student radio station), where I met her and her then-unknown daughter.

A mate was sat next to Rachael during the dinner and tried to chat her up. Reader, she was not interested.

BritishHobo

Cried like a twat throughout this. At Becky, who's been so so patient with Andy's fantasising, repeatedly bidding for him - lovely acting in that bit, just her facial expression while dodging his attempts to grab the card - at the aforementioned sight of the proposal, at the gold falling down.

I was a bit wrongfooted by this series. I couldn't really remember what had happened with the big ship and burial we saw at the end of series 1, so I half-thought we were waiting on the discovery of that, and was baffled by the early episodes seeming preoccupied by other things. But it's Detectorists isn't it, and that couldn't have been more perfect a finale. The lot of them just enjoying a lovely day out in the field. And Simon and Garfunkel being welcomed into their group in a completely genuine, warm, unironic way. Just lovely.

MuteBanana

Yeah I really thought that one, forget his name, would end up enjoying Sheila's terrible lemonade as a way of connecting him to the group.

This has surely given Crook some kudos with channels, just hope he's got more of this stuff up his sleeve.

Enzo

I ripped and uploaded the slightly different version of the theme song from the finale if anyone wanted to listen back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LJpLmJy5e4&feature=youtu.be