Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Detectorists Series 3

Started by Enzo, August 22, 2017, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedthemumbler

Quote from: shh on December 14, 2017, 12:20:25 AM
Loved the mischievous final shot to undermine all the order established in the (well-deserved) Final Episode Soppiness, although even this was typically understated. Best scene was the pub reconciliation particularly with the horror-like establishing shots. Only churlish nag is no Hugh/Russ subplot this series.

I thought in the auction scene it was going to pinch the final 'Cabin Pressure' episode - have them bid a hugely high figure and only be able to pay it off by finding the gold. It's much more fitting this way as it means the treasure itself doesn't fulfil any practical purpose, and we're still left wondering why they do it.

I have spoilered myself by greedily reading this thread but with this show I don't think it matters!  I rarely watch live tv so hadn't seen any trailers about its return or release, so lovely news.

kittens

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 13, 2017, 11:12:51 PM
I really loved that moment where Terry looked across at Shiela sitting under the tree too. A look of pure happiness on his face.

fuckin cried at this bit. and they bit where silent lady found the ring. and in the auction, when he says 'why didn't you fucking tell me'. never seen anything like this show. absolutely fantastic

MuteBanana

Andy's auction confidence disappearing in an instant when Eldon gets going was brilliant. He just looked stunned.

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 26, 2017, 03:37:08 PM
Andy's auction confidence disappearing in an instant when Eldon gets going was brilliant. He just looked stunned.

The auction scene was my highlight too in a five-star ep. My favourite line was Andy's shellshocked: "They'll send men round.. they'll take Stan away."

Cuellar

I don't watch this but the family were catching up on iPlayer on the telly so I stuck around.

I really enjoyed it but have probably ruined the whole show by only watching the final episode.

I found the auction scene incredibly sinister. Like a fever dream or a Robert Aickman story. Great but uncanny.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cuellar on December 26, 2017, 11:22:55 PM
I really enjoyed it but have probably ruined the whole show by only watching the final episode.

You haven't.  You really haven't.

If anything, you've missed out on most peoples' highlight of the whole saga - the Hugh/Russell sub-plots.

tomasrojo

I only got to see this when BBC4 did the whole season in one go the other night.

It was the best of the three, I think. I caught bits of it in its first run and it seemed a bit obvious and disappointing, but actually it's great. The daughter's character was nicely used, and Toni.

Small quibble (tiny, actually): you can't see Orion in the summer in the northern hemisphere. Crook's in good company though. Beckett's Embers has a repeated reference to seeing Vega in the Lyre in winter, but that's a summer constellation (unless Beckett intended the winter scenes to be taking place in New Zealand).

SteK

Another thing is Lance's TR7 (when not mis-firing) sounded like huge Yank V8 and not a 2 litre SOHC.

And where was it explained that Lance's daughter lived in Dublin, I missed that - the actress is Welsh isn't she?

tomasrojo

Yes, she's Welsh according to Wikipedia.

It's mentioned in the second season that her character's from Dublin. It's not a bad accent, I think. It doesn't sound like any Dublin accent I know (I'm from there), but it's not distracting. She aspirates the t's mildly, which is a constant feature of middle-class Dublin accents (and others).

SteK

Quote from: tomasrojo on January 03, 2018, 06:16:42 PM
Yes, she's Welsh according to Wikipedia.

It's mentioned in the second season that her character's from Dublin. It's not a bad accent, I think. It doesn't sound like any Dublin accent I know (I'm from there), but it's not distracting. She aspirates the t's mildly, which is a constant feature of middle-class Dublin accents (and others).

I live in Dublin (from Bolton tho!) the soft 't' is very noticeable - like the soft sign (the little 'b') in Russian. Converts hard 'T' in to soft 'Tb' which is more like a rapid 'tchyer' sound..

Small Man Big Horse

This story has just popped up on the BBC news page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-42887063

Quote'Roman haul' turns out to be TV show Detectorists prop

Two men who thought they had unearthed a stash of Roman gold coins had their dreams dashed when they discovered the coins were a prop for a TV sitcom. Andy Sampson and Paul Adams had been metal detecting in a field on the Suffolk/Essex border when they found more than 50 "gold" coins with pottery. Mr Sampson said his friend started "shouting and jumping around and dancing" after he found the "treasure". However, it emerged the fake coins were a prop for the BBC show Detectorists.

Mr Sampson said the pair, who have only been metal detecting for a year, had spotted the farmer ploughing the field last summer, and got his permission to go out one evening to check it out. "Paul kept running at me shouting, 'Roman gold!' and I thought, 'he's winding me up'," he said. "He was floating across the top of the field rather than running through it. I wish I'd had a camera." The pair went back to the furrow and found more than 50 gold coins with pottery, which they believed at the time could have been worth up to £250,000.

Mr Sampson said he immediately began working out how he would spend the money, with plans including paying off the mortgage, buying a new car and going on the trip of a lifetime. However, he took the find back home and showed it to his neighbour, who was less enthusiastic about it. Mr Sampson said his neighbour picked up the coins and immediately said "they're not real - there's something wrong with them". The pair made some inquiries and found out the farm was being used as a filming location during the summer for BBC Four comedy Detectorists, which stars Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones.

It emerged the production crew had filmed a tractor pulling a plough through the ground, unearthing the coins as it went. However, Mr Sampson said, "it had buried some as well", and they were the ones they found. The men said they had finally "got over" their huge disappointment and it had not put them off the hobby.

I do feel sorry for them, but at the same time I hope they put the coins up on ebay so I can buy them.

zomgmouse

Why does two metal detectorists finding props from Detectorists sound like it would be a perfect plot in Detectorists?

JoeyBananaduck

So let me get this straight: metal detector enthusiasts accidentally uncover metal detector based enthusiast based BBC show's inexplicably abandoned props in the same exact location during metal detectoring, reports the BBC?

Checks out fine to me.

Ferris

Started watching this on the recommendation of the forum and it is lovely.

2 eps in, really enjoying it. Thanks all!

Brundle-Fly

Well, it's only taken me until now to finish all the detectorists. I must echo the love for this show. Never smartarse, never inane. Almost perfect. Gutted it's all over

I wonder if this had been a 'heartwarming British comedy film' it would have been bit shit though? Imagine the montages smothered with catchy pop classics: Can U Dig it?, Let's Get Ready To Rumble, Born To Be fucking Wild and Season Of The shitting Witch. It would end with Lance and Toni's outdoor wedding under the tree with a knowing cameo by Tony Robinson as the vicar.

shh

A band of plucky metal detectorists are forbidden from their hobby by an evil right wing government, they must resort to marching/doing a naked calendar/ballet/stripping/joining a brass band/becoming drag queens to raise consciousness of their plight, retain their dignity and join the service economy. Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman star. Produced by Harvey Weinstein.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: shh on June 09, 2018, 10:24:04 PM
A band of plucky metal detectorists are forbidden from their hobby by an evil right wing government, they must resort to marching/doing a naked calendar/ballet/stripping/joining a brass band/becoming drag queens to raise consciousness of their plight, retain their dignity and join the service economy. Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman star. Produced by Harvey Weinstein.

Ha!

And there must be an American character, male nudity and a whimsical woodwind underscore the entire time. A Rambo montage of Lance getting ready to metal detect is essential. And an incongruous dance routine to a popular wedding reception tune for the common touch.

The trailer must have the detectorists walking in slo-mo a'la Reservoir Dogs.

saltysnacks

I'm a wee bit drunk and full of pizza, time for a binge methinks.

Norton Canes

The Nighthawks

Material for a one-off Hadrians' Wall special there I reckon. Perhaps an AntiquiSearchers/Dirt Sharks/Terra Firma spin-off?

Brundle-Fly

I wonder how many magnetisers script treatments have not been read by comedy commissioners over the past few years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fv1TJAqRxI

Ferris

The cruelty of not having British Netflix and being unable to watch the 3rd season :(

Ferris

Fuck it, bought it on iTunes. Only $15CAD (8 quid?) and nice to support it directly.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 20, 2018, 06:19:22 PM
I wonder how many magnetisers script treatments have not been read by comedy commissioners over the past few years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fv1TJAqRxI

Hah, we used to do that with sticks tied to rope.

Ferris

Bumping this thread back from the dead. Finishing off season 3.

All kind and good-natured and pleasant, and a lovely through-line with the British wild birds. Even has the nice mandolin playing and all that. Fantastic bit of telly.

Bernice

Been re-watching this as balm for the broken heart after a break up. Just sobbed like a baby throughout that last episode. Probably not worth bumping the thread for but this show might well be perfect, and the finale is just on another level.

Non Stop Dancer

Yeah it's fuckin beautiful. Sorry to hear about the broken heart. I know that one.

Whenever this thread gets bumped my heart pounds for series 4.