Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Detectorists Series 3

Started by Enzo, August 22, 2017, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

poo

non capisco

Oh man, Russell and Hugh in the local newspaper photo with the widow. Just fantastic.

shiftwork2

The first episode did not disappoint.  What a treat.

Enzo

enjoyable, if a bit lightweight. Seemed like a short script based on the extended opening theme and the long flashback at the end.

Looking forward to next week.

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on November 08, 2017, 10:35:00 PM
Oh man, Russell and Hugh in the local newspaper photo with the widow. Just fantastic.

Laughed out loud at "she had no idea he was even in prison".

Yes, lovely. Forgot Lance had a girlfriend.

non capisco

The site manager at Andy's new job was a very believable portrayal of a certain type of workplace prick.

Jittlebags

Looking forward to seeing the Russel/Hugh arc in this one. The 'I feel like I've been groomed' in series 2 was fucking hilarious.

Enzo

Shit Good Nose

As I've said before, I have a bit of man-love going on for Hugh.

"Luckily young Hugh doesn't get it."
"Get what?"
"He's nearly 35!!!"

Brilliant.

And yeah, that newspaper photo.  They both have that perfect posing-for-local-paper-photo look of being pleased with themselves.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: non capisco on November 08, 2017, 10:41:05 PM
The site manager at Andy's new job was a very believable portrayal of a certain type of workplace prick.

Tim Key's great in that type of role, it was a real pleasure to see him in it.

Norton Canes

Bliss.

When do we reckon the hoard burial at the end was set? It looked kind of Druidic but the woman was using that falconry whistle which didn't look like it could have been made that long ago. 

Serge

I've said it before, but I would happily watch a whole episode based around Russell and Hugh. And I've also said this before - I'd love a soundtrack album of the music.

Is Tim Key trying to appear in every comedy show being made? I mean, I like him, and he was great as usual, but he does seem to pop up in a minor role in nearly everything these days.

Loved the ending, there really isn't anything else like this on TV at all right now.

Glorious. The character details are all so rich and wonderful. Sheila's little "hee hee" when she got her drink made me smile so broadly the top of my head nearly fell off.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on November 09, 2017, 11:06:34 AM
Glorious. The character details are all so rich and wonderful.

Yep - Lance timing his toast with his watch rather than keeping an actual eye on it was aces.

jobotic

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on November 09, 2017, 11:06:34 AM
Glorious. The character details are all so rich and wonderful. Sheila's little "hee hee" when she got her drink made me smile so broadly the top of my head nearly fell off.

Yes, same here.

God this programme makes me want to be in the countryside all bloody day. With sandwiches under a huge oak tree.

Birdwatching though, not metal detecting detectorering.

Paul Calf

It's a shame that a solar energy company the is the villain though. A bit baffling, that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 09, 2017, 01:29:37 PM
It's a shame that a solar energy company the is the villain though. A bit baffling, that.

Well, we don't know that for sure yet, at least in traditional-TV-trope villain terms.

But it's quite an on the nose observation (in a good way) about the conflict of solar being an inherently good thing whilst still having a massive negative impact on the immediate environment, which I don't think has been featured in a fictional TV show before.

Also, it's one of those shareholding solar companies - "rent-a-panel" schemes where the owner of the land gets "free" electricity, or a reduced tariff from the solar company.  Behind the scenes, most of these companies are in it for the money and run by rich shareholders, who are only doing it to make more money and otherwise couldn't really give a shit about the environment (this is all fact, as I deal with it quite a lot at work).  I'm guessing that that was an intentional choice rather than featuring a local community scheme instead.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Serge on November 09, 2017, 10:55:03 AM
Is Tim Key trying to appear in every comedy show being made? I mean, I like him, and he was great as usual, but he does seem to pop up in a minor role in nearly everything these days.

I for one can't get enough of him slightly over-pronouncing the letter 't' in the word 'mate', mate.

Norton Canes

Sheila's coy "I don't mind", when Terry asked her to cover her ears after his inadvertent double-entendres, was priceless. 

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 09, 2017, 01:45:47 PM
Well, we don't know that for sure yet, at least in traditional-TV-trope villain terms.

But it's quite an on the nose observation (in a good way) about the conflict of solar being an inherently good thing whilst still having a massive negative impact on the immediate environment, which I don't think has been featured in a fictional TV show before.

Also, it's one of those shareholding solar companies - "rent-a-panel" schemes where the owner of the land gets "free" electricity, or a reduced tariff from the solar company.  Behind the scenes, most of these companies are in it for the money and run by rich shareholders, who are only doing it to make more money and otherwise couldn't really give a shit about the environment (this is all fact, as I deal with it quite a lot at work).  I'm guessing that that was an intentional choice rather than featuring a local community scheme instead.

Yeah, there's no doubt that they're not a valuable community project, but a load of greasy spivs in it for the money (and I liked the 'Over Our Heads' strap on their marketing material) but it just seems that there are industries that are more deserving. It was exactly the feeling I had ion Kingsman on realising that the baddies were environmental campaigners. However, that's where comparison ends because Kingsman is a fucking abomination that shames all who come into contact with it.

Having seen two series' worth of this so far though, I'm sure it's going to be more nuanced and interesting than that.

SimonJT

Sophie Thompson's delivery of "don't they... confuse...bees?" stole the show for me.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 09, 2017, 01:29:37 PM

I don't think they made it out to be villainous. At least not in a one-note way. Andy and Lance even spoke about solar energy in positive terms. It just so happens it's being built on "their" land. A nice conflict.

Really loved the first episode. I could spend hours with these characters and in this setting.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, it's a pretty special programme. I feel quite teary at times, it just makes me feel so happy.

So, following on from the first episode of the previous series, with the flashback to the artefact that then gets found in the finale, are we going to see Andy find that pot of coins and scrape together a mortgage deposit? I guess its too late to 'do a Mackenzie' and buy the field?

phes

I can't fathom the love for this show. All I can see is a clunky, amateurish mess with cartoon villains, female ciphers and no laughs. And a decent actor in one lead role. Too much cringing to make it through an episode. The characters have really connected with people, but the show is crap

Viero_Berlotti

This show is worth watching for Toby Jones' performance alone.

Loved the MR James reference at the end.

shh

Quote from: phes on November 11, 2017, 08:09:11 AM
I can't fathom the love for this show. All I can see is a clunky, amateurish mess with cartoon villains, female ciphers and no laughs. And a decent actor in one lead role. Too much cringing to make it through an episode. The characters have really connected with people, but the show is crap

I felt the same about this episode, having loved the first two series. Not sure what happened. I know I'll watch the rest of this series though.

gilbertharding

It's not perfect.

One problem (for me) is that it's between worlds - on one hand it's a naturalistic, slow, British kind of thing, with realistic blokes who barely talk (and as you say, women barely register) ... on the other, there's a kind of Tolkeinesque thing where The Shire, a perfect sunny summer land has to be endangered by outside forces and then redeemed by our quiet heroes.

So the cartoon villains have to intrude into the totally realistic, naturalistic (but at the same time absurdly perfect) world, every series.

But I loved the first two series in spite of this (the actors, the photography, the pacing, the speeches). I fear that a third series might be stretching the formula a bit far - on the evidence of one episode - which is a shame, but not the worst thing in the world. They're definitely stopping now, aren't they?

Serge

Whaaa.....? Did nobody watch this or something?

Amazing episode! Always love to see them needling Simon & Garfunkel, and the "Here's to you." "Mrs. Robinson." exchange killed me. Not to mention the 'chinny reckon' bit.

But the bit that completely floored me was Lance going around his flat looking for the non-existent squirrel, his increasing noises of mock-surprise were fantastic. And when he stood on the plug.....

Love the contrast between the Danebury group and Terra Firma - the laughter at Danebury being generous and inclusive, and the laughter at Terra Firma being nasty and pointed. I was half convinced that because they were picking on him that Paul was thinking about switching allegiance. But a great glimpse into some of the smaller characters - talking of generosity, Crook makes sure that everybody gets good lines/scenes, and doesn't push his own character forward too much.

How is Tim Key's character going to shit on Andy's optimism about the mosaic....?

Norton Canes

I'm guessing that when Andy returns to work in the morning, that mosaic will be gone.

Russell's app provided particular amusement this week. And his face, when he was laughing from the doorway. I did think that the scenes with the increasingly exasperated hypnotherapist were a bit too Some Mothers, though.