Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Detectorists Series 3

Started by Enzo, August 22, 2017, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Just watching episode 4. I've said it before but the filming is amazing. The magpies when Lance is asleep, wonderful.

I want to go birdwatching again.

jobotic

Okay, my first criticism. I think Maggie is a great character as a selfish manipulative arse, but just that. I could accept that she'd use Lance after her relationship with that twat had gone sour, but not that it was all a scam. She's a selfish shit, but not an evil schemer.

Serge

Really? She was happy to exploit Lance for his time in the first series - having him look after her shop for free, and if I remember, wasn't he doing errands for her mum, because Maggie & Tony couldn't be bothered - so it fits perfectly with what we've seen of her/them so far for me - they just see other people in terms of what they can get out of them.

jobotic

Was a bit pissed when I wrote that, knew it would be wrong!

But yeah, as I said she was selfish and manipulative, but planning to rob him seems a bit much for that character I thought. Unless I've missed the point of the text. I'll watch it again sober. I should do anyway.

Serge

I mean, she hadn't been an out and out schemer in the sense of trying to get at Lance's money before now, but it's not a stretch to imagine that she would be. We know that her and Tony knew about it, I suppose the only surprising thing is that they hadn't tried to get their hands on it earlier.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

If it wasn't for the set piece of ghostly memory in Episode One - which as a one off isn't really comparable - this latest episode would be the clear contender for best of the season. Nice people, bumbling about in their beautiful, ridiculous wee world. Needed some Hugh to be perfect, though.

holyzombiejesus

I enjoyed this episode apart from the bit where Andy saves the hedgehog through to him showing his wife and son the house, which was the worst thing that has ever been on the show. Bleurgh!

wooders1978

Well that was lovely and made me feel quite emotional at points
Is there going to be a Christmas special? As though I am thirsty for more I feel the story was kind of wrapped up perfectly there, would be a shame to cram some arbitrary storyline into it just for the sake of a Christmas special - that said, I enjoyed the last one immensely

Enzo

Everything about that was just perfect. Should win everything.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, agreed. As close to perfect as anything I've watched in many years. That final shot was just gorgeous. What a lovely way to end such a brilliant series. Feel quite emotional. Pub?

Ja'moke

Lovely stuff. The final shot was perfect in every way. I'll miss this little show.

Ja'moke

I really loved that moment where Terry looked across at Shiela sitting under the tree too. A look of pure happiness on his face.

shh

Loved the mischievous final shot to undermine all the order established in the (well-deserved) Final Episode Soppiness, although even this was typically understated. Best scene was the pub reconciliation particularly with the horror-like establishing shots. Only churlish nag is no Hugh/Russ subplot this series.

I thought in the auction scene it was going to pinch the final 'Cabin Pressure' episode - have them bid a hugely high figure and only be able to pay it off by finding the gold. It's much more fitting this way as it means the treasure itself doesn't fulfil any practical purpose, and we're still left wondering why they do it.

derek stitt

Quote from: shh on December 14, 2017, 12:20:25 AM
Loved the mischievous final shot to undermine all the order established in the (well-deserved) Final Episode Soppiness, although even this was typically understated. Best scene was the pub reconciliation particularly with the horror-like establishing shots. Only churlish nag is no Hugh/Russ subplot this series.

I thought in the auction scene it was going to pinch the final 'Cabin Pressure' episode - have them bid a hugely high figure and only be able to pay it off by finding the gold. It's much more fitting this way as it means the treasure itself doesn't fulfil any practical purpose, and we're still left wondering why they do it.
Nicely put

Quote from: Ja'moke on December 13, 2017, 11:12:51 PM
I really loved that moment where Terry looked across at Shiela sitting under the tree too. A look of pure happiness on his face.

This bit made me well up.

holyzombiejesus

I woke my wife up by chuckling in bed about Lance shooing away the other detectorists.

Felt there were a couple of references in this that I didn't quite get. Was the pub summit based  on a specific western? And was the synthy version of the theme tune when they were erecting the new gazebo an allusion to something else? It brought to mind Witness when the Amish built their church but wasn't sure how the music fit.

Serge

Yeah, that was an absolutely perfect episode to end with. Even Simon & Garfunkel got their redemption. Plus bonus Kevin Eldon.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 14, 2017, 07:09:43 AMAnd was the synthy version of the theme tune when they were erecting the new gazebo an allusion to something else?

I can't help you with that, but yet again, that made me wish they'd release a soundtrack album for this.

Norton Canes

It was good, but... I don't know... perhaps there was no ideal way to end such a perfect series. Becky just borrowing the money from her mum seemed a bit uninspired. Everything else though, can't really complain.

There isn't going to be a fourth series, is there. Damn.

SteK

Sorry if I got this wrong, damn iPlayer froze right as Lance and Andy walked past the tree at the end as the gold coins fell out. Surely someone will find them now!

Must be a special, has to be!

Norton Canes

As the camera continues to rise you see them start to examine the coins, just before they go out of shot.

jobotic

I'm going to leave this until it's nearly expired on iPlayer. Don't want it to end now. Haven't watched episode 5 yet, for the same reason.

Ringside

In the words of Shakin' Stevens, last nights episode was lovely stuff. Had me wiping a couple of tears away too.

SteK

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 14, 2017, 11:02:07 AM
As the camera continues to rise you see them start to examine the coins, just before they go out of shot.

That's just at the point were it froze for me! Couldn't have been more crucial cos it left me disappointed with what I thought was the ending! Typical!

Still - a rewatch is order on the ferry home when it appears in iTunes - I'm working in Dublin so had to VPN to watch it on iPlayer.....

Enzo

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 14, 2017, 10:31:28 AM
It was good, but... I don't know... perhaps there was no ideal way to end such a perfect series. Becky just borrowing the money from her mum seemed a bit uninspired. Everything else though, can't really complain.

There isn't going to be a fourth series, is there. Damn.

I'm assuming that they no longer need the Mother's money due to them finding the horde of gold coins.

olliebean

Quote from: Serge on December 14, 2017, 10:03:26 AM
Yeah, that was an absolutely perfect episode to end with. Even Simon & Garfunkel got their redemption. Plus the bonus actor Kevin Eldon.

FTFY

Norton Canes

Quote from: Enzo on December 14, 2017, 01:06:51 PM
I'm assuming that they no longer need the Mother's money due to them finding the horde of gold coins

"That would depend on the amount of the reward, and how it was split. Technically two people found the treasure so they would need to agree how to split the amount due to them after the landowner has taken their cut. The situation might also be complicated by the fact that several other people had been declared as searching the land that day, and it might be difficult to prove that none of them were present at the actual discovery. It could get very messy..."

SteK

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 14, 2017, 01:26:00 PM

"That would depend on the amount of the reward, and how it was split. Technically two people found the treasure so they would need to agree how to split the amount due to them after the landowner has taken their cut. The situation might also be complicated by the fact that several other people had been declared as searching the land that day, and it might be difficult to prove that none of them were present at the actual discovery. It could get very messy..."

And the Magpie gets nothing.....

Serge

Quote from: SteK on December 14, 2017, 02:02:06 PM
And the Magpie gets nothing.....

It gets its tree, saved by Lance & Andy!