Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrasslin'

Started by hewantstolurkatad, August 24, 2017, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewantstolurkatad

100 pages, so new thread?

Quote from: mikeyg27 on August 23, 2017, 12:11:04 PM
I imagine that's just because Aiden English is a great person to introduce him against. I imagine he'll be showing his true colours soon enough. I can see him feuding with AJ over the US title.

In non-wrestling news Jon Jones has failed another drugs test, which fucks up Brock's plan to leave for a superfight.
It'd be pointless to try battling against the crowd responses to his theme tune for a few months, I'd say. It's a character that suits arriving in under delusions that he's the good guy too.

Are there bigger fuckups in sports than Jon Jones? Excluding Adam Johnson, of course.

Ja'moke

Very happy with What Culture's No. 9 pick on Best Wrestlers In The World Under 30: https://youtu.be/qEqGfsyrlRw?t=1m39s

Deanjam

Blimey, she's only 25! All that makeup makes her look much older.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 24, 2017, 03:55:32 PM
Very happy with What Culture's No. 9 pick on Best Wrestlers In The World Under 30: https://youtu.be/qEqGfsyrlRw?t=1m39s

Boooo!

weekender

I like Pete Dunne being quite high up on that list, chap just has the look of a nasty bastard that I want to hate, but equally want to applaud all the time for having a good match.  A 'heel', I believe it's called.

Contrast this with Jinder Mahal, who has the look of someone I want to hate, doesn't put on any good shows, and is just shit.  A 'shit', I believe this is called.

Are the WWE doing anything with the UK Champion division of NXT?  When it came round it felt like a quick reactionary response to a one-off World of Sport wrestling show, and all that happened was that WoS was a shit ITV show won by Fat Grado, and the WWE put on a far better show by linking in with the better UK promotions.

Been a bit out of the loop on NXT, is it still good?  Are the Brits there?

Deanjam

Quote from: weekender on August 24, 2017, 07:26:19 PM
When it came round it felt like a quick reactionary response to a one-off World of Sport wrestling show, and all that happened was that WoS was a shit ITV show won by Fat Grado, and the WWE put on a far better show by linking in with the better UK promotions.

Pretty much.

Quote from: weekender on August 24, 2017, 07:26:19 PM
Been a bit out of the loop on NXT, is it still good?  Are the Brits there?

Takeover was great. The Brits are there occasionally. They were on last nights NXT show in a tag match.

weekender

Cheers for that, my round.  Want anything from the bar?

Ja'moke

WWE signing up all those UK talents definitely seemed reactionary to the World of Sport show. Word at the time was that it would lead to a proper WWE UK show, but then quarterly figures came in, money was down, so they had a bunch of budget cuts which put the UK show on the backburner.

On the topic of British wrestling, I signed up to Demand PROGRESS. Thought I should do my bit to support the British indie scene, and it works out at around £6 a month which is a bargain. It's tough getting the time to fit more wrestling in amongst everything else but I'm going through one Chapter at a time - watched the first three so far. Top stuff.

weekender

That's a request for some peanuts then :)

Deanjam

Quote from: weekender on August 24, 2017, 07:39:59 PM
Cheers for that, my round.  Want anything from the bar?

Deanjam

Ja'moke

Can we talk about NXT tapings spoilers?

Ah they've posted it on the official site and Twitter, so I guess it's fair game: https://mobile.twitter.com/WWENXT/status/900903480809971712

Heading to Raw apparently.

Mobius

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 25, 2017, 03:11:54 AM
Can we talk about NXT tapings spoilers?

Ah they've posted it on the official site and Twitter, so I guess it's fair game: https://mobile.twitter.com/WWENXT/status/900903480809971712

Heading to Raw apparently.

Cool! Was scared to click but as you say, it's been made officially public. Exciting stuff.

Just had a read of the NXT Taping stuff we've got to look forward to it and it all sounds really good as well.

Osmium

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 24, 2017, 03:55:32 PM

Io Shirai only took about 2 weeks off before she was back. I'd place her above everyone on this list but Okada.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on August 25, 2017, 04:36:56 AM
Cool! Was scared to click but as you say, it's been made officially public. Exciting stuff.

Just had a read of the NXT Taping stuff we've got to look forward to it and it all sounds really good as well.

Yep, NXT really seems to have found its footing again now after treading water last year after the mass purge at the WWE draft. At the main event level you've got Drew at the top with renewed focus, the arrival of Adam Cole, Aleister Black on the rise, Johnny Gargano singles push, Almas finally getting wins under his belt, with Hideo, Strong and Ohno filling out that division.

The tag team scene is always hot in NXT. I did worry about Sanity v Authors of Pain, what with them being two heel teams, but they smashed it at Takeover. Now add in Fish and O'Reilly, a soon returning TM61, the Street Profits who seem to be massively over already, and then the likes of Heavy Machinery at the lower end of the division, things look great.

And the women are about to have a huge influx of Mae Young Classic participants, such as Kairi Sane, Dakota Kai (Evie), Abbey Laith (Kimber Lee), Rhea Ripley (Demi Bennett), and it looks like they might have also signed Alpha Female (now known as Jazzy Gabert). Filter those into a division headlined by Ember Moon, Nikki Cross, Ruby Riot and the Iconic Duo and the potential is endless. Related - I'm going to be covering the Mae Young Classic for Yahoo, here's my write-ups for the 32 competitors: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/wwe-womens-tournament-meet-32-women-change-pro-wrestling-162858349.html

The best phase of NXT could be upon us. Plus, I love faction wars. And not to forget colourful characters like Velveteen Dream and No Way Jose. Oh, and the British chaps!

Deanjam

Tweet from Rusev

QuoteRusev‏Verified account @RusevBUL

I want to thank @WWE front office TR and everybody involved. THANK YOU
10:08 pm - 25 Aug 2017

Hope he's not leaving. Or maybe I do. WWE aren't doing anything with him. Could be trolling of course. He does that.

up_the_hampipe

There was a rumour floating around that Rusev and Lana asked for their release. I think he's just taking the piss.

Ja'moke

He's most likely trolling, but honestly, Rusev and Lana could make a killing on the indies.

mikeyg27

During the AAA Triplemania women's title match, LU wrestler Sexy Star appears to have deliberately dislocated GFW champion Rosemary's elbow with an armbar. Not cool. Apparently, Sexy Star and another woman in the match, Shani, were shooting on each other the whole match.

hewantstolurkatad

Everything I've heard about Sexy Star leaves me baffled that people keep working with her.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: mikeyg27 on August 27, 2017, 10:05:56 AM
During the AAA Triplemania women's title match, LU wrestler Sexy Star appears to have deliberately dislocated GFW champion Rosemary's elbow with an armbar. Not cool. Apparently, Sexy Star and another woman in the match, Shani, were shooting on each other the whole match.

More like Shitty Star. Boom buried!

Deanjam

Watched the first episode of the Mae Young classic. Wasn't familiar with a lot of the competitors, but they do a good job of introducing them with a little pre-match vignette. Four matches on the first show, so things were kept short. Crowd were hot for everything, which helped. Commentary was rubbish. JR has lost whatever mojo he once had, and Lita is the worst.

Ja'moke

That's a shame about the matches being kept short. Was hoping they'd be given a decent amount of time. I'll be watching later, recapping later in the week.

Deanjam

Well I'm dumb. I thought they were releasing one episode per day but they've bunged four up at once. Off to watch the others.

Ja'moke

Yep, all Round 1 matches up this week. Round 2 next week, then the live finale is before Smackdown on 5th September.

I've watched the first two episodes. Mia Yim v Sarah Logan best match so far. It's tough to judge some of these early matches as most of them are vets v rookies, so there will be some awkwardness in there. Definitely some impressive talent though which should make for some excellent later round matches. Rhea Ripley is only 20 years old - she's gonna be a star.

Ja'moke

Sasha is really getting pushed at the expense of Alexa eh....? *rolls eyes*

At least we know who the first person to beat Asuka will be.

Deanjam

Nice of Vince Russo to come back and write that Cena - Reigns segment.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 29, 2017, 12:25:36 PM
Sasha is really getting pushed at the expense of Alexa eh....? *rolls eyes*

Is that a dig at me? Cos you should know I never said that.

Great stuff between Cena and Reigns last night. They seem to have some genuine tension, unless I'm being worked hard. Cena is pretty hard to rattle on the mic, probably because he's heard it all already.