Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrasslin'

Started by hewantstolurkatad, August 24, 2017, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 07, 2017, 01:00:36 AM
I think at least 16 of them are signed. Which should be a good sign for the future of the women's division but then you think they still only fit in one women's segment/match per Raw and SD each week.

Battle royal every week!!!

Mobius

I started listening to Repeater's favourite podcast 'The Lapsed Fan' - it's pretty great actually, starting from the beginning so should keep me busy for months.

Doesn't one of them sound EXACTLY like Tom Scharpling from The Best Show though?

Ja'moke

I signed up to PROGRESS on Demand a couple of weeks back and have been working my way through each Chapter from the beginning. The Jimmy Havoc storyline is excellent.

Deanjam

This is a few days old, but it's not come up here so I'll post it cos I'm bored. PWInsider reckon Baron Corbin's depush was due to an argument with WWE doctor Joseph Maroon. Here's the article for anyone who hasn't read it.

QuoteComing out of last month's Summerslam, one of the most asked questions to PWInsider.com has been why Baron Corbin, who appeared to be ear-marked to cash in the Money in the Bank briefcase for a potential WWE championship title reign, was instead booked to look like a fool by cashing it in and losing quickly and was then quickly pinned by John Cena at Summerslam.

One theory that was making the rounds was that Corbin had embarrassed himself and the company in a recent series of back and forth Twitter battles, including one where he insulted a fan for liking independent wrestling, only to have that fan respond with a photo of himself and Vince McMahon from a Tribute to the Troops visit, leading to Corbin apologizing.  PWInsider.com has been told that the Twitter battles were not the issue as the company saw that as Corbin being a heel.  In fact, if anything, the company wants their talents more interactive on social media.

Instead, PWInsider.com has been told by multiple sources that in actuality, WWE management was likely down on Corbin following an incident that took place at a talent meeting the first week of August.  Dr.Joseph Maroon, who heads the company's Wellness Policy, had been brought in by the company to discuss the importance of concussion-related injuries to the talents and why they should report them to WWE management ASAP. 

During that meeting, we are told that Maroon brought up a recent study about deceased NFL players who had been diagnosed, post-mortem with CTE, in a way that we are told "downplayed" the study as being concrete proof that anyone who played football would then develop CTE.

PWInsider was told by multiple sources that Corbin, a former NFL player, cut off Maroon and expressed an opinion, as a former NFL football player, that challenged Maroon.  We are told that Corbin argued that there would be some form of head trauma with every play as football helmets are always cracking against each other.  During the exchange, Corbin noted he is part of a concussion-related lawsuit against the NFL and said that he knew Maroon was against CTE, leading to Maroon to state that his depiction in a film about that as incorrect.

That was likely was a reference to the Will Smith drama Concussion, where Smith played Dr. Bennet Omalu, who is credited with discovering CTE and then does battle with the NFL, which attempts to discount the discovery.  In Concussion, Maroon is depicted as portrayed as a pro-NFL doctor who tries to deny any relationship between football concussions and the existence of CTE in former NFL players.    It should be noted that Maroon was quoted in March 2015 as believing the link between the two was "exaggerated", but it should be pointed that whether Maroon still feels that way several years later is unknown.

We are told that Maroon did agree with Corbin that CTE was a problem, but was trying to make the point that the study did not mean 99% of NFL players actually had CTE and that everyone has to put things into a proper perspective.    Corbin, obviously, disagreed with Maroon's stance, and for several minutes, the two went back and forth.

The entire scene was described to PWInsider.com as "awkward", "time standing still" and "an awkward moment that led to awkward laughter" by three different sources who were at the meeting. A fourth source pointed out that it wasn't a case that Corbin was yelling or being belligerent, but was perhaps expressing his opinions in "the wrong time and the wrong place" to truly have that discussion.  The fourth source noted their feeling that Corbin would have been better served by pulling Maroon over privately after the meeting, as that wouldn't have taken the attention away from the matter at hand.

The feeling among those we spoke with was that Corbin, by voicing himself in front of the assembled locker room as opposed to privately trying to speak to Maroon, hurt the flow of the meeting and took the attention away from the importance of the talents' health by making it about Maroon's past NFL comments.  It put Maroon into a position of defending, instead of educating.    It should also be noted there were a few wrestlers who were impressed by Corbin speaking out, because it's not the type of thing many will do, in regard to anything that is brought up to them in meetings, in front of management.

So, the belief among those we spoke with is that if anything led to the company pulling back on Corbin's push, that was it. 

It should be noted that Corbin has remained in the mix and was involved in the main event of Smackdown the week after Summerslam as a guest referee for Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles. The following week, Corbin was involved in an angle with AJ Styles and worked the United States championship matches at the live events this past weekend.  So, there does not appear to be any obvious long-lasting damage due to the Maroon incident as Corbin remains in a featured position on the Smackdown brand

If this is true, then I kinda feel bad for Corbin. Although obviously he's still shit.

Ja'moke

Massive respect to Corbin for speaking out against Maroon's bullshit. What a stupid reason to get heat for.

Ja'moke

Very tempted to go to this!

mikeyg27

Me too. Going to a PROGRESS show is very high on my to-do list but getting tickets appears to require some sort of sorcery. It genuinely seems the best way to get a ticket to the Camden shows is to look on Twickets on the day of the show and hope that someone has put some up for resale.

Ja'moke

With this being a 10,000+ seater hopefully it should be easier to get tickets.

Utter Shit

Was anyone at Alexandra Palace yesterday? Great show as always, maybe a little light on surprises but so much brilliant stuff. The death match was fucking brutal.

Ja'moke

I saw the Twitter updates, sounded like a fantastic show. As mentioned up thread, I signed up to Progress On Demand and have been working my way through all the shows. I'm at Chapter 19 now.

up_the_hampipe

This has been a pretty great Raw. Stacked Smackdown coming up too, as well as MYC final. Good week.

weekender

Having heard good things about Progress, I obtained a kind of 'Best Of' earlier.

The first match I saw was labelled 'Finn Balor vs Random Civilians'. 

"That's a good tag team name" I thought.  "It's perhaps a handicap match"

In many ways it was, because it was Finn Balor vs 4 other random civilians.

They were playing musical chairs.

I won't spoiler it for you, but the bottom line was that it was a hell of a match and I watched nearly all of it.

This has been my introduction to Progress, and I kinda like it.

weekender

I am now watching Jimmy Havoc vs Pete Dunne.

It's hard to describe, but I shall try.

Jimmy Havoc has deliberately given Pete Dunne some papercuts on those webby bits between your fingers, and has then poured some sort of alcohol on the cuts so they are worse.

Then he has obtained a stapler and has apparently stapled Dunne's testicles together.

It was at this point, aged 39, that I decided to change my life, fun though it was.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 11, 2017, 07:23:00 PM
I saw the Twitter updates, sounded like a fantastic show. As mentioned up thread, I signed up to Progress On Demand and have been working my way through all the shows. I'm at Chapter 19 now.

There's so much great stuff on there. I only started going around 24 or so but I think the general consensus is the company really hits its stride with the Ospreay/Havoc feud, which I'm guessing you're right in the middle of now (?).

Ja'moke

Yep right in the middle of that. Chapter 19 is the two parter Super Strong 16 tournament.

I think Progress is a company that really benefits from watching in order (or at least full shows) as opposed to random clips/matches because the long-term storytelling is really good with some great payoffs.

up_the_hampipe

That was very satisfying to see. Although Steph getting in KO's face like she's tough was pathetic.

Ja'moke

Great final match of the MYC. Right person won. Nice storytelling. And they didn't overshadow it with the inevtable Four Horsewomen feud.

hewantstolurkatad

Does anyone give a shite about Rousey in WWE?

I mean, I do a little in that I see literally no other direction for her career to go and am a bit amazed by how much of a job she done destroying her star power between the Holm loss and the build to her return, but I also think she'd be a terrible fit for performing to an audience and don't really see a good role for her. I don't think people have the same level of morbid curiosity as I do and just don't really care about her.

Utter Shit

Yeah the moment has gone for that - the Wrestlemania 31 segment with The Rock proved there was definitely mileage in getting her in, that pop when the camera panned to her was mental...but she's been left behind in UFC pretty much and it's been too long since that event for it to still seem relevant if she turned up again. The big money is in getting McGregor on board now, and I think it's more or less guaranteed at some point; he's clearly inspired by WWE - his promotional approach to UFC is pure WWE and obviously his silly walk is nicked off Vince - and presumably would jump at the chance to get involved at some point. I'm sure there will be long and tedious arguments over money, but ultimately if he really wants to do it then I'm sure they'll find a price that works.

hewantstolurkatad

McGregor'll be plenty aware he can walk into WWE whenever he wants tbh. Unlike Rousey he can pretty much humiliate himself in UFC/boxing and still be pretty valuable to WWE due to his mic work.

Best hope for McGregor in WWE any time in the near future is if he's deliberately copying Mayweather's path. A pretty high profile two months leading into next WM could be pretty good for him from that side of things, WWE would be crazy to pay the kind of money he'd be demanding otherwise.

It's not even that she's been left behind by UFC though, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to have her back even still, none of the other women are at all close to her star power still. She's just handled her public image terribly, has taken her losses so poorly that it all comes across a bit pathetic. A pretty uncharismatic and extremely guarded figure has very little crossover appeal but she's still a star within MMA if she were willing to brave it.
Brock's able to get away with murder cos he looks and carries himself like a literal monster.

Ja'moke

Rousey still got a pretty big pop when the camera panned to her at ringside last night. I'm okay with them doing a WWE Four Horsewomen v MMA Four Horsewomen feud as long as the WWE women go over. If it means getting Charlotte and Becky back on TV and in a high profile match then I'm all for it.

Deanjam

All those MMA pricks can jog on. Why pro wrestling is so associated with that goddam awful shite I don't know.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Deanjam on September 13, 2017, 03:19:38 PM
All those MMA pricks can jog on. Why pro wrestling is so associated with that goddam awful shite I don't know.
For the most part I'd agree, but McGregor is a different beast. He's pure sports entertainment.

hewantstolurkatad I don't know that his demands will be that insane simply because I would imagine he wants to do it. Whereas Tyson, Mayweather and the rest were presumably doing it for the money and the exposure, I suspect McGregor just thinks it would be a laugh.

up_the_hampipe

WWE is PG. McGregor would be no good there. Most of his appeal comes from saying "fook".

BeardFaceMan

Would McGregor be prepared to look bad though? What suprised me when Mayweather did his program with Big Show was that there were a few confrontations leading up to the match where Mayweather looked second best, he at least understood the business enough to know that looking bad in the short term meant money in the long term, it made the whole thing more enjoyable.  Would McGregor be able to get over his ego and have another wrestler get the best of him, even momentarily, in order to make money?

Mobius

Can't believe how hard Owens headbutted Vince. Fucking brilliant!

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 13, 2017, 03:27:56 PM
For the most part I'd agree, but McGregor is a different beast. He's pure sports entertainment.

hewantstolurkatad I don't know that his demands will be that insane simply because I would imagine he wants to do it. Whereas Tyson, Mayweather and the rest were presumably doing it for the money and the exposure, I suspect McGregor just thinks it would be a laugh.
When it comes to big business matters he doesn't seem like he does stuff for a laugh though. Can't see why he'd take a drastic cut in pay at the moment when he can do it later.

rjd2

Once you pay Ronda big money which I assume she would be asking for her, would she able to justify that salary?

She unlike Brock hasn't wrestled before and I don't really believe she could close that many PPV'S, maybe the smaller ones, but defo not the established ones.

Utter Shit

I don't think she would be there as a Brock, she would be there as a Tyson or Mayweather...not a major part of the match but trained enough to hit a couple of big spots, most probably MMA stuff that the storyline has built to be terrifying. They may not even need to sell the danger, when she was at  Wrestlemania the crowd seemed quite savvy and recognised her submission power when she had Stephanie in that fairly basic hold.