Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:30:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB's 100 Greatest Comedy Films Of All Time - The Big Vote 2017

Started by Serge, August 25, 2017, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

All fairly modern from me:

Take the Money and Run
Love and Death
Life of Brian
Time Bandits
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Withnail and I
South Park movie
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Guard
The Nice Guys

the science eel

The Producers (Mel Brooks, 1968)
Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson, 1987)
About Schmidt (Alexander Payne, 2002)
Blockheads (John G. Blystone, 1938)
A Night At The Opera (Sam Wood, 1935)
Crimes and Misdemeanours (Woody Allen, 1989)
The Sunshine Boys (Herbert Ross, 1975)
National Lampoon's Animal House (John Landis, 1978)
International House (Edward Sutherland, 1933)
Borat (Larry Charles, 2006)

SpiderChrist

Way Out West
The General
Withnail & I
Life of Brian
Blazing Saddles
South Park - Bigger, Longer and Uncut
This Is Spinal Tap
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Jerk
Take The Money and Run

Small Man Big Horse

I watched Way Out West tonight due to the amount of recommendations here and just wanted to thank folks, after the misery of Twin Peaks I needed to return to simpler and sillier times. I hadn't seen any Laurel and Hardy since I was a kid so was surprised by how charming it all is, the musical numbers especially, and it warmed the cockles of my heart no end.

weekender

I just want to say that I don't want to make any changes to my nominations on the grounds that I put some thought into them instead of just typing randomly on the keyboard like a monkey thinking about bananas.

You may also have noticed that I posted only 10 films as per the rules of the thread, because I'm not a fucking twat who thinks that rules don't apply to me.

Thanks.

weekender

I would also like to say thank you to everyone who is actually posting something about the comedy films they love and why they love them.

In this post, I'm going to address Serge's #1 nomination:

Quote1. Le Dîner de Cons Just amazing. The plot is very simple - Pierre and his friends have a monthy dinner where they bring an idiot along to show off to their friends, and this month, he thinks he's found the king of idiots in François Pignon, but to make sure, he invites him round to his apartment before the big day. Over the course of the evening, Pignon manages to ruin Pierre's entire life, whilst remaining completely oblivious to the damage he's causing. Unlike in the American remake (which I confess I haven't seen), they don't feel the need to show the actual dinner (and, in fact, it's hard to see how that would work, plotwise.)

Other than a handful of scenes, the film is set wholly in Pierre's apartment (a clue that this was originally a play.) Jacques Villeret is fantastic as Pignon, managing to remain completely sympathetic throughout, despite the trail of havoc he wreaks - his face is absolutely perfect for the part. Thierry Lhermitte is also great as Pierre, also granting a largely unlikeable character a measure of sympathy. Along with Francis Huster, he presents a series of reaction shots to what's happening that might be the funniest thing in the film. The excellent Daniel Prévost turns up late in the film to make things worse for Pierre.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this as a film, but I didn't think it was a comedy as such; simply because I didn't really laugh that much, if I'm being honest.

I agree that the cast are excellent - the two leads are perfect for their roles, Villeret especially - and it's definitely worth a watch as a film.  At no point was I bored, it's a really good film and I would recommend that people see it.

It just doesn't come across to me as a comedy film though, to my mind it's more of a play which has some elements of farce applicable.

I'm glad you recommended it though, I did enjoy it.

notjosh

Quote from: weekender on September 05, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
I just want to say that I don't want to make any changes to my nominations on the grounds that I put some thought into them instead of just typing randomly on the keyboard like a monkey thinking about bananas.

But what if it turns out you got one wrong? You won't feel so clever then.

Sebastian Cobb

Trading Places
Kingpin
Repo Man
Best in Show
A Shot in the Dark
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
They Live!
Wag The Dog
Three Colours White
Wild at Heart

weekender

Quote from: notjosh on September 05, 2017, 05:36:23 PM
But what if it turns out you got one wrong? You won't feel so clever then.

Not likely.

2. This Is Spinal Tap

Second on my list comes this music factumentary.

Imagine, if you will, that you are in a rock 'n' roll band.  Imagine, even more, that it is the 1950s/60s and 70s.

What would you do, if you were alone on the road, and had a piano available?

I can only suggest that you would write a song, a sad song, a plaintive song, in D minor.

Fortunately you are classically trained in music, you can play Bach, Mozart and a small amount of Beethoven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vk5keNbRc

Fucking stupid YouTube title gives the whole joke away, but nevermind.

Small Man Big Horse

His Girl Friday - Have to say that for the first twenty minutes I felt a bit disappointed, it was perfectly fine but it didn't particularly sparkle with great dialogue and a couple of the scenes dragged. But then it kicks up a gear and becomes a beautifully fast paced piece of absurdity, whilst also containing some very funny satire on the newspaper industry and surprisingly darker moments which I wasn't expecting at all. The fact that they're trying to defend a mentally ill man who shot a black cop and a central character attempts suicide (and really harms herself in the process) adds a curious depth to proceedings, whilst Cary Grant is shockingly cuntish at times, and you can't help but feel a bit sorry for Hildie at the end, which makes it all the more perversely enjoyable. So yeah, fucking great. Would probably make no.14 on my list but I fear a beating from weekender for saying such a thing so lets just pretend I didn't.

notjosh

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 05, 2017, 10:25:07 PM
His Girl Friday - Have to say that for the first twenty minutes I felt a bit disappointed, it was perfectly fine but it didn't particularly sparkle with great dialogue and a couple of the scenes dragged. But then it kicks up a gear and becomes a beautifully fast paced piece of absurdity, whilst also containing some very funny satire on the newspaper industry and surprisingly darker moments which I wasn't expecting at all. The fact that they're trying to defend a mentally ill man who shot a black cop and a central character attempts suicide (and really harms herself in the process) adds a curious depth to proceedings, whilst Cary Grant is shockingly cuntish at times, and you can't help but feel a bit sorry for Hildie at the end, which makes it all the more perversely enjoyable. So yeah, fucking great. Would probably make no.14 on my list but I fear a beating from weekender for saying such a thing so lets just pretend I didn't.

I'm sure it will grow on you more after a few watches. Comic highlights for me are Cary Grant's wooing of the would-be war reporter ("Au revoir mon capitan." "Bonjour!"), his overly mannered insistence that the old man he's talking to is Hildy's fiancee "do you mind? I'm talking to Mr Bruce Baldwin" and Billy Gilbert's cameo as the messenger. I was thinking just this morning of the bit where the mayor says that his wife is a "fine looking woman" and he responds with a weird mixture of pride and outrage: "She's good enough for me!" (I just Googled the script to check the wording and the wryly describes him as 'mysteriously angered').

And of course "take Hitler and stick him on the funny page" is one of the all-time great line deliveries.

I'll come back in the next few days and try and explain why I love Steamboat Round the Bend so much.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 05, 2017, 07:36:21 PM
They Live!

I'm calling that out as not a comedy, great though it is. He delivers a funny line about chewing bubblegum, and the fight scene is hilariously drawn out, but what more comedy is there in it?

zomgmouse

Quote from: weekender on September 05, 2017, 05:17:52 PM
In this post, I'm going to address Serge's #1 nomination:

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this as a film, but I didn't think it was a comedy as such; simply because I didn't really laugh that much, if I'm being honest.

I agree that the cast are excellent - the two leads are perfect for their roles, Villeret especially - and it's definitely worth a watch as a film.  At no point was I bored, it's a really good film and I would recommend that people see it.

It just doesn't come across to me as a comedy film though, to my mind it's more of a play which has some elements of farce applicable.

I'm glad you recommended it though, I did enjoy it.
My god, Le dîner de cons is uproarious! Have you seen any other Francis Veber films? Le placard, La chèvre... they're all of them tinged with tragedy of course (not to mention all of them having a character named François Pignon), that is the way his films work, they show vulnerability, but that in turn is what makes his comedy stronger. I can believe that you didn't find it funny because of how sad and tense the atmosphere of the film is... but to call this not a comedy is blatant misguidedness.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: notjosh on September 05, 2017, 10:46:29 PM
I'm sure it will grow on you more after a few watches. Comic highlights for me are Cary Grant's wooing of the would-be war reporter ("Au revoir mon capitan." "Bonjour!"), his overly mannered insistence that the old man he's talking to is Hildy's fiancee "do you mind? I'm talking to Mr Bruce Baldwin" and Billy Gilbert's cameo as the messenger. I was thinking just this morning of the bit where the mayor says that his wife is a "fine looking woman" and he responds with a weird mixture of pride and outrage: "She's good enough for me!" (I just Googled the script to check the wording and the wryly describes him as 'mysteriously angered').

And of course "take Hitler and stick him on the funny page" is one of the all-time great line deliveries.

I'll come back in the next few days and try and explain why I love Steamboat Round the Bend so much.

Oh I did enjoy it a great deal, it just took a little time to get going, though now I know how much it improves I doubt it'll concern me as much when rewatching it. And I'd be really interested to hear your views on Steamboat Round The Bend, I'm downloading it now along with various other classics I'd previously not seen, it's something I should have done ages ago.

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein - I'm a big fan of the 30's Universal horror films so it's quite the thing to see them playing it admirably straight whilst Abbot and Costello engage it all manner of silliness. A couple of the scenes fall a little flat or don't have a particularly strong pay off - Costello's first encounter with the werewolf in the hotel room being the most glaring example - but most of the time it's pretty joyous fun, with the ending delivering and then some.

zomgmouse

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 05, 2017, 11:18:08 PM
I'm calling that out as not a comedy, great though it is. He delivers a funny line about chewing bubblegum, and the fight scene is hilariously drawn out, but what more comedy is there in it?

That's enough for me really.

SpiderChrist

Ah, fuck. Forgot Arsenic And Old Lace, The Ladykillers, Two Way Stretch, A Shot In The Dark, Best In Show et fucking cetera

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: Bazooka on August 29, 2017, 11:38:28 AM
1. The Jerk
2. Withnail & I
3. Napoleon Dynamite
4. Naked Gun
5. Rushmore
6. Tommy Boy (Chris Farley)
7. Ernest Goes to Camp
8. Ernest Goes to Jail
9. Monty Python & The Holy Grail
10. Stripes

Ooh, that's a good list. We should get together and do some kissing.

Here's mine:

1. The Jerk
2. Withnail & I
3. Spinal Tap
4. The Producers
5. Airplane
6. Napoleon Dynamite
7. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
8. The Man with Two Brains
9. Sleeper
10. Young Frankenstein

notjosh

EDIT: Ah fuck, busted. Tried to edit my list but ended up quoting it. Never mind I'll stick with my original 10.

manticore

The Apartment
Pillow Talk
Airplane!
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Afterhours
The Naked Gun
This is Spinal Tap
Braindead
Galaxy Quest
Kind Hearts and Coronets

Not a big film fan, but I do like a good comedy.

JoeyBananaduck

Bringing Up Baby. Wayne's World. Spinal Tap. The Man With Two Brains. City Lights. Those always make me smile.

newbridge

I would like to give an honorable mention to Bottle Rocket (1996), a delightful but underrated comedy-and, while not my favorite Wes Anderson movie overall, the one I would feel most comfortable classifying as a straight "comedy".

EOLAN

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 05, 2017, 10:25:07 PM
His Girl Friday - Have to say that for the first twenty minutes I felt a bit disappointed, it was perfectly fine but it didn't particularly sparkle with great dialogue and a couple of the scenes dragged.

This might be part of the reason for its greatness is some sense. Not so much that the start is a drag; which it wasn't for me - but I can understand the point of view. It was more a build up of issues and scenarios and mapping out the course ahead.
A lot of times; that have an absolutely hilarious start and capture one for the first half-hour; tend to drag  and slow down for the core/love story and resolution at the end; which is often times a lot less satisfying.

Hawks' other great screwball; Bringing Up Baby has pretty much the same dynamic, to an even more absurd degree. I loved this film before then; but remember for Ireland's day of mourning after 9/11, this film was being shown on TV3, full of genital innuendo and Cary Grant stating he just "went gay all of a sudden". A good way for myself to be mournful by cheerily watching this film (I probably didn't and just slept in but would have regularly watched the VHS in any case).

Ignatius_S

If you haven't already, I would also check out The Front Page and its variations incarnations.  His Girl Friday was remake of the first film adaptation with a romantic element added – which the Burt Reynolds/Kathleen Turner film, Switching Channels also used; personally, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

My favourite version is the Billy Wilder one, which starred Jack Lemmon as Hildy and Walter Matthau as Burns; it's also got a fantastic supporting cast, including Susan Sarandon and Charles Durning. Paul Bennett (who I think a fair few here will recognise through appearances such as Waiting For Guffman) is particularly good.

Quote from: EOLAN on September 07, 2017, 10:06:16 AM....Hawks' other great screwball; Bringing Up Baby has pretty much the same dynamic, to an even more absurd degree...

'Other' would suggest that Hawks only made two great screwball comedies, which I don't feel is entirely fair. Twentieth Century is also a brilliant film and helped define the screwball genre. 

EOLAN

True Ignatius_S.
Thanks for picking me up on that. Hawks is my favourite director (of the sound era) and you are absolutely right; there are many other comedies he done, all of them quite enjoyable. Quite enjoyed "I Was A Male War Bride" as well. Twentieth Century certainly sets up the platform for Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday and is immense fun in its own right. John Barrymore is absolutely perfect as the drunken theatrical type.
Gentleman Prefer Blondes is quite enjoyable too; although I don't think Hawks had much direct involvement of the musical numbers.
Still have to see "Ball of Fire", which while not readily shown/available is meant to be quite a great screwball itself.

For my sins; I was probably saying "other" in the context of the films being listed by members here, including myself admittedly.

zomgmouse

Quote from: EOLAN on September 07, 2017, 10:40:41 AM
Still have to see "Ball of Fire", which while not readily shown/available is meant to be quite a great screwball itself.
I've been meaning to see this for absolutely ages. Can swing you across a digital copy if you like.
Also Bringing Up Baby is a massive, massive gap in my watching. I'm sure I'll rectify that soon enough.

I'm really enjoying everyone's lists, for what it's worth. Some titles I wasn't familiar with that I have since added to my list. What a great venture this is!

notjosh

Ball of Fire is great fun; a must see.

I'm also a massive fan of Hawks' Man's Favorite Sport?, with Rock Hudson and Paula Prentiss. Prentiss is brilliant in my opinion, almost matching Hepburn at her best. And Rock Hudson has a great underplayed role as a fishing expert who's terrible at fishing. It has a lovely lazy feel to it, with some really silly physical comedy, and an interesting subtext which seems to be about male impotence in the face of a sexually confident woman.

I read a great piece by Elizabeth Abele on how screwball comedies subverted traditional male/female roles and offer a counter to the idea of the 'male gaze'. So Cary Grant or Rock Hudson (or Ryan O'Neal in What's Up Doc which I watched because of this thread) are the ones that are objectified by the woman. It doesn't seem to be online anymore, but here's something else she wrote which touches on the same area:
The Glory of Cary Grant and Other Girlish Delights

Other screwballs I'd recommend:
The Awful Truth
My Favourite Wife
The More the Merrier
The Devil and Miss Jones
Bluebeard's Eighth Wife

Tapiocahead

1 Airplane
2 Life of Brian
3 Sleeper
4 Raising Arizona
5 Animal House
6 Monkey Business
7 Superbad
8 Withnail & I
9 Naked Gun
10 Trading Places

I feel like I've forgotten something obvious but there we have it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: EOLAN on September 07, 2017, 10:06:16 AM
This might be part of the reason for its greatness is some sense. Not so much that the start is a drag; which it wasn't for me - but I can understand the point of view. It was more a build up of issues and scenarios and mapping out the course ahead.
A lot of times; that have an absolutely hilarious start and capture one for the first half-hour; tend to drag  and slow down for the core/love story and resolution at the end; which is often times a lot less satisfying.

Hawks' other great screwball; Bringing Up Baby has pretty much the same dynamic, to an even more absurd degree. I loved this film before then; but remember for Ireland's day of mourning after 9/11, this film was being shown on TV3, full of genital innuendo and Cary Grant stating he just "went gay all of a sudden". A good way for myself to be mournful by cheerily watching this film (I probably didn't and just slept in but would have regularly watched the VHS in any case).

I saw Bringing Up Baby a few years back and didn't have the same (minor) issue with it, so I can't explain that. Perhaps it was just due to going with very high expectations, and as mentioned it really does deliver after that.

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 07, 2017, 10:55:53 AM
I'm really enjoying everyone's lists, for what it's worth. Some titles I wasn't familiar with that I have since added to my list. What a great venture this is!

I couldn't agree more, it's already given me the kick up the arse I needed to check out some old classics, so thank your Serge, and everyone else for their lists too.

Dr Rock