Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Mirror (Season 4)

Started by Ja'moke, August 25, 2017, 01:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

Look Black Mirror isn't about the story. It's about looking at the dangers of modern technology. Like the current very real dangers of perpetually torturing AI simulations of criminals, partitioned brains where people carry around their dead relatives, carnival freakshows and doctors who have seen too many Saw movies. All very real and relatable.

Head Gardener

KennyMonster

I did t really connect with Callister, Arkangel, Crocodile, or Black Museum

They all seemed to be Black Mirror by numbers.

The dating one somehow made me connect with the main characters, I believed them and I got that feeling of dating someone for the first time from them.

Metalhead was by far the best, the lack of exposition really worked for me, others here have put their own ideas on what had happened, I think that the dogs were a military weapon gone awol, like when the Daleks turned on their own creator for being imperfect as he wasn't 100% Dalek (or was that Cybermen?).

The hopelessness and lack of survivors too,

A bit like The Terminator meets 28 Days Later, does anyone think the dogs were just a problem of Briain and the rest of the world had the island quarantined like it was suggested in 28 Days Later?

Dr Rock

Thinking about it, the woman in the man's brain in Black Museum was a bit naggy wasn't she? It's not his fault she got hit by a truck, and she was lucky to have a second chance at any kind of life living in his head. Then she's telling him off for not washing his hands after a piss. I'd want some private time, even when I did a shit. Why should he never get another partner? He did the right thing sticking her in that teddy bear, the ungrateful half-dead harridan.

asids

After the Karl Pilkington stuff, I've found where Brooker got the idea for USS Callister from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-ATlpqo1M

Alberon

Finally caught up with the series. And it's nicely shot and acted and stuff, but by God the stories are thin and contrived. This really is in danger of becoming Tales of the Unexpected with a budget. Crocodile was just so silly I ended up literally laughing out loud at it. USS Calister was the best of a bad bunch, just edging out Arkangel and the black and white one which worked more to the lack of explanations.

IF this comes back it desperately needs new writing talent. Sad to say I think Brooker has reached his limit and perhaps he needs a few co-writers or to pull back to the Executive Producer level.

Dr Syntax Head

It's still the best thing you'll see on TV though

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on January 28, 2018, 11:44:04 PM
It's still the best thing you'll see on TV though

Apart from The Good Place.

Dr Rock

A little video reminder that not only did Karl Pilkington come up with the share the brain idea from Black Museum, he also thought of the doctor that can feel your pain one too.

https://youtu.be/dbMtuJ1tZnc

MikeShaft

I'm sure you'll find both of those ideas back over the last hundred years. There are no new ideas.

Bhazor

Yeah and 70 years ago tanks were invented. Now you can't even move for the cunts. Everywhere you go tanks tanks tanks."This ever happened to you, where you go down the corner shop for a pound of tripe but you can't get in because the shop owner left his M1 Abram tank on its side in the doorway and the tubing for the optional M1A1 napalm based flamethrower attachment gets caught on your brass hand. Happens all the time to me."

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Bhazor on February 13, 2018, 02:47:41 PM
Yeah and 70 years ago tanks were invented. Now you can't even move for the cunts. Everywhere you go tanks tanks tanks."This ever happened to you, where you go down the corner shop for a pound of tripe but you can't get in because the shop owner left his M1 Abram tank on its side in the doorway and the tubing for the optional M1A1 napalm based flamethrower attachment gets caught on your brass hand. Happens all the time to me."

That was hilarious but tanks aren't robots and tanks are now obsolete in most combat situations. We got drones an that now maaaaaaaaaaaaan

Head Gardener

Alberon

All it needs is a wanking hologram in the background and it'll be perfect.

Twit 2

Dearie me. I've watched 3 supposedly good episodes of Black Mirror now (pig fucking, lesbian heaven and robot dogs) and they're all varying degrees of poor. The odd nice touch/idea/performance but overall just laughable that this is considered good TV. Can't begin to imagine what the 'bad' ones are like when utterly run-of-the-mill stuff like Metalhead is held up as one of the better ones.

neardark

You've watched three shit episodes there.

Small Man Big Horse

They've been shooting in Croydon for a retro looking episode - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/black-mirror-filming-in-croydon-londoners-glee-as-at-retro-film-set-for-latest-charlie-brooker-a3823386.html - as well as the old style WH Smiths there's also a recreation of CaB's favourite fast food outlet.

Twit 2

Quote from: neardark on April 28, 2018, 12:09:19 PM
You've watched three shit episodes there.

What are the good ones, then?

phantom_power

I would say not to bother. Those episodes are pretty representative of the series and I think San Junipiero is my favourite episode so maybe the show just isn't for you

Twit 2

San Junipero was the best of them, but even that squandered its promise with characters explaining the plot. Similarly, the pig one ran out of steam. Maxine Peake was great in Metalheads and it was well-directed. Like I said, some good touches in all of them but ultimately mediocre for me. I do like the idea of the show and the potential a different episode each time affords, but it just doesn't live up to that potential in its execution.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 28, 2018, 12:33:35 PM
What are the good ones, then?

San Junipero was only one I liked out the three you watched, although it is still an unusual episode in that it is happy.

My favourite is white bear, and I suppose then nosedive, entire history of you, and fiteen million merits.

monolith

Watch Crocodile or Shut up and Dance if you want more feel good episodes.

Alberon

Oh Crocodile was hilarious.

Not deliberately, admittedly, but I don't think I've laughed more at any other Black Mirror.

Twit 2

White Bear - liked this one more, probably for the bleakness. Pretty predictable that it was going to be a Hunger Games style set up. Satire a bit on the nose. It's the televisual equivalent of Banksy isn't it: IN'T PUNITIVE JUSTICE BAD AND PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS STARING THROUGH A PHONE CAMERA, YEAH?

USS Calister - best one I've seen so far - inventive and funny. Liked all of the cast, particularly fun to see Poyle outside of Always Sunny.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 29, 2018, 12:18:55 AM
White Bear - liked this one more, probably for the bleakness. Pretty predictable that it was going to be a Hunger Games style set up. Satire a bit on the nose. It's the televisual equivalent of Banksy isn't it: IN'T PUNITIVE JUSTICE BAD AND PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS STARING THROUGH A PHONE CAMERA, YEAH?

USS Calister - best one I've seen so far - inventive and funny. Liked all of the cast, particularly fun to see Poyle outside of Always Sunny.

Try watching 'Westworld'. He's an incredible actor.

St_Eddie

Love Black Mirror.  Hated San Junipero.

*shrugs shoulders*

Dr Syntax Head

Shut up and dance or entire history of you are good ones.

Twit 2

Hang the DJ - SHIT.

I really don't think Charlie Brooker can write. On the basis of Black Mirror, he doesn't even seem to like or be interested in the genre(s) he's trying to write in.