Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,489
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Middle (Final Season)

Started by BritishHobo, August 25, 2017, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Hey, could be worse, at least you're getting those final 24 episodes whilst the going's good and it hasn't become an unbearably smug piece of shit in the way Modern Family has.

BritishHobo

Aye, I'm glad they're ending it on its own terms. It's stayed pretty consistent, which is incredible for a family comedy, weathering the kids ageing for nine years.

Fuck, I can't even remember when I last watched Modern Family. I didn't get too far past the horrific gay wedding thing, where the first genuine bit of development in years just got shrugged off. Sad to hear it's not gotten any better.

neveragain

What bit of development was shrugged off? I still enjoy it but only tune in erratically.

The Middle however I've never got into, considering it a bit of a sub-Malcolm (and that's not just because of the title). Am I wrong to dismiss it as such?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 27, 2017, 06:06:28 PMFuck, I can't even remember when I last watched Modern Family. I didn't get too far past the horrific gay wedding thing, where the first genuine bit of development in years just got shrugged off. Sad to hear it's not gotten any better.

I stopped watching half way through last year, and it takes a lot for me to quit a show I caught from the beginning and enjoyed for a fair old while - up to season 5 iirc, I'm sure it was six where it started to go down hill. And even then during that time it still had the occasional strong episode and Phil was always good value for money, but last year it became quite hateful stuff.

BritishHobo

Three episodes (one episode and a two-part finale) left.

It's felt like a bit of a water-treading season - the Sue/Sean will-they-won't-they romance has taken up so much time with about ten different they-almost-do-but-something-gets-in-the-way cliffhangers (it really could have been dealt with qay early on, giving em room to explore so many more different stories, INCLUDING the relationship between Sue and Sean which is so inevitable but we now won't see any of), and Brick's been sidelined with a lot of daft plots, as he has been for a few seasons now - but the last couple of episodes have gotten slightly back on track, with some nice wistful moments. The last episode especially was quite sweet (surreal moment though where the family watch next week's royal wedding), and has set up the last three kinda well. Can't wait to see how they round it out.

BritishHobo

Quote from: neveragain on August 27, 2017, 06:21:42 PM
What bit of development was shrugged off? I still enjoy it but only tune in erratically.

The Middle however I've never got into, considering it a bit of a sub-Malcolm (and that's not just because of the title). Am I wrong to dismiss it as such?

Late responding to this, but I was thinking of Mitchell standing up to Jay about Jay's homophobia, and uninviting him from the wedding... only for us to join them next week with Jay, reinvited to the wedding off-screen, cracking homophobic gags with Mitch's dad throughout about how embarassing it all was.

BritishHobo

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 12, 2018, 12:41:49 AMBrick's been sidelined with a lot of daft plots, as he has been for a few seasons now

Good example of that this week. We're on the last episode before the two-part finale. The main plot is Frankie and Mike struggling to come to terms with the possibility that Axl might be moving away for good (and unlike in other sitcoms this feels like a genuine upset, because the Hecks really cannot afford to travel to see him). The sub plot is the almost-culmination of the season-long plot to do with Sue and Sean admitting they love each other. And then, in between this, Brick buys a new chair, and then some more chairs, and then gets given a recliner. Two episodes from the end.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 12, 2018, 12:51:49 AM
Late responding to this, but I was thinking of Mitchell standing up to Jay about Jay's homophobia, and uninviting him from the wedding... only for us to join them next week with Jay, reinvited to the wedding off-screen, cracking homophobic gags with Mitch's dad throughout about how embarassing it all was.

There are earlier examples of development, which got jettisoned – e.g. Hailey going to college and showing creative talent. IIRC, also, before that wedding they flirted with Manny being more popular for his maturity and Luke being seen as a bit weird (similar to one King of the Hill episode with Bobby and Joseph).

That's continued and unfortunately, there has been some pretty good character development that was reset. One that was particularly good to my mind – and if you stopped around the wedding, would have missed this – was the relationship that developed between Andy and Haley. There, Haley had taken a good look at herself and her romantic relationships; there was a scene between her and Andy, as she was about to leave on a date that was rather powerful. This led to her having a more mature outlook and increased self-respect. This was played out for a couple of seasons (maybe a bit longer), then Andy gets written out and Haley becomes the shallow party girl again.

The storylines for Luke and Manny have been pretty workable and have some consistency, but Alex and Haley tend to draw the short straws on that front.

Although this latest season hasn't been very consistent in terms of quality, there have been occasional episodes that were strong – particularly in plotting.

yesitsme

We've quite enjoyed The Middle over the years.  'Er Indoors thinks she's Frankie Heck (and whateverhernameis in Raymond - and Claire in Modern Family) and she's been the bigger fan but when I've sat in I've always found there's more laughs in the show than you'd expect.  It's a bit like ALF in that respect.  A show that's funnier than it has right to be.

I can't think of another show that fell away as quick as Modern Family.  When it started it was excellent but now it's a brutal watch.  EI still watches it but I never hear her laughing at it.  It's just one grim lucrch from one Halloween to another.  The sooner this ends the better.

While The Middle has had it's daft moments at the core of it is a reality of the frustrations of family life.  The kids have aged while their characters haven't (see also Modern Family) and I think it's struggled to put a handbrake on their relationshps outside that of the house.

Yeah, The Middle has been ok.  A solid 7-8/10 show, the occasional 5 the odd 10.

Small Man Big Horse

It seems like the cancellation of Roseanne might lead to a Sue Heck spin off show: https://news.avclub.com/abc-is-developing-a-the-middle-spin-off-based-around-go-1826436553

Also, thanks to the comments section I discovered that in real life the actress now looks like this:

Which was quite the surprise!

BritishHobo

Ooooh. As much as I'm a big 'quit while you're ahead, don't drag it out' guy, I'm certainly intrigued. Sue Heck is easily in my all-time favourite comedy character. It kind of faded a little when she went off to college, but the whole thing in her high school years of constant enthusiasm and optimism in the face of constant disappointment and failure is such a joy. This scene in the season one finale, where she's trying to join a cross country team that literally anyone can join if they can run a single lap, still makes me cry: https://youtu.be/qrDNwNyrCNE So while I'm always cautious with spin-offs and shows continuing, I love Sue and trust Eden Sher enough to really want to see it.

I realised I didn't post about the finale, but I didn't need to. It was perfect. It was just what you'd expect from The Middle - a lovely, lowkey... not even goodbye, just reflection. Setting the whole last episode on a family car journey was inspired, the scene with the kids in the backseat was so moving, and that last line, fuckin perfect. It didn't try to be weird, or ambitious, departing from the tone of the rest of the show as others do. It stayed warm and consistent faithful to the spirit of this ordinary family, as the whole show has, and it was perfect.

Nine years, man. I feel a bit teary watching that YouTube clip and seeing how tiny Atticus Shaffer looks. It's been wonderful watching them grow. And who knows, if this sitcom gets picked up, maybe we'll see them again - if there's anyone guaranteed to stay close to their family, it's Sue Sue Heck.