Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you ever fainted?

Started by JoeyBananaduck, August 29, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I've never fainted, but I used to have a minor problem with a heart valve (which was fixed by lasers 12 years ago) which meant my heart would suddenly start to beat ridiculously fast (Superventricular Tachycardia, to get technical) and I'd get extremely dizzy, get really bad cramps in my arms and legs, and would have to lie down until it passed, usually for about an hour or so. Nothing in particular really seemed to trigger it, I didn't drink anything with caffeine in and wasn't into drugs at all (I still drank alcohol, apparently that was fine, and of all the times it happened it only coincided with drinking twice), it just went off for no reason. One time at school when I was about 14 I was just getting changed for a regular weekly games afternoon and off it went, but instead of telling the teacher and lying down, for some reason I thought 'sod it', ran the 400 meters then went to play tennis. About 5 minutes into the game a kind of yellow haze had descended across the top 3/4 of my vision, and I can vaguely remember not knowing where I was or what was going on. Next thing I knew I was lying on a bench by the court with a coat over me, my best friend staring at me while the teacher had run off to call my Mum (this was pre mobiles). Apparently I'd just started stumbling about, seemingly unaware of anyone talking to me, and my lips had turned blue, so I think they probably got me to the bench about 5 seconds before I'd have passed out. I think it must have just been some issue with oxygen going round me or something caused by the ST, so that was the first and last time I tried to just carry on when it started.   

popcorn

Excited to report that last night I fainted for the first time in my life.

In Tokyo. Went to restaurant with girlfriend. Had a beer. First course arrived. Chicken sashimi. I've had it a few times in Japan and it doesn't bother me. Was in the middle of a conversation with the girlfriend, who is Japanese, about how in the west we never eat raw chicken because we're concerned about salmonella.

Suddenly I felt lightheaded. Next thing I knew I was on the floor and everyone in the restaurant had crowded round me. Girlfriend said I'd just collapsed onto the woman next to me. I told everyone I felt completely fine. Fainted again.

Ambulance arrived, they did tests, said I seemed fine and reckoned I'd just drunk my beer a bit too fast. What a wimp. I still wonder if the chicken was a contributing factor - I was officially fine with it, but perhaps eating raw chicken while discussing the risk of salmonella, while having just consumed most of a pint in record time, triggered some emergency shutdown procedure in my body.

Coming round after fainting was the strangest feeling, very different from waking up from normal sleep. I'd only been out for about 20 seconds but I felt like I'd been teleported into another dimension for several months. My first thought, before I could even see or hear anything properly, but had the sense that something had gone badly wrong, was: "Great, now what?" I had no idea whether I was in the UK or Japan or what.

All in all, no harm done, quite an interesting experience, glad to have had it.

Ferris

Who the fuck eats raw chicken? You had that coming mate.

I don't think I've ever fainted anyway.

Bazooka

Quite frankly you deserve it, chicken sashimi is the blandest meat on the planet(I've not eaten raw Koala, so its a bold statement.

Noodle Lizard

Twice in the space of about three months when I was 19/20, owing to some sort of medical thing I never figured out.  Once at the doctor's office and once at a Dir en grey concert.  Both times I felt generally tingly and unwell, tried to reach somewhere to lie down but lost my vision and hit the deck before I could manage it.  Had to go to hospital both times, but they never figured out what was wrong.

I'll say this, though, the actual "being passed out" bit is fucking lovely.  Like an amazingly deep sleep where you have full dreams, even if you're only gone for a few minutes (as I was).  Then you're woken up by people standing around prodding and moaning at you, trying to get you to do things, which really ruins it.  Can't imagine how frustrating a near-death experience must be.

popcorn

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 13, 2019, 05:31:37 AM
I'll say this, though, the actual "being passed out" bit is fucking lovely.  Like an amazingly deep sleep where you have full dreams, even if you're only gone for a few minutes (as I was).  Then you're woken up by people standing around prodding and moaning at you, trying to get you to do things, which really ruins it.

Yes, this was my sensation too. Being pulled out of it was really stressful.

PowerButchi

Yeah, I suffer from cough syncope, so if I have a large extended cough I black out and faint and if that's while I'm standing free it usually means I crack my head open and have an array of interesting scars in my forehead due to it.

Lord Mandrake

I fainted once in 1993 because I got brained by a blue ford fiesta reg: 0PN637W. It's like when a television set is going all fuzzy but it's purplish. Anyway after coming to and checking my bonce for claret, I just cracked on. After all, I was manning the jumping frog hopper stall at the fair that day.

thraxx

I have fainted but only once. I let this person think that I was going to walk to the left, but instead I walked to the right.

machotrouts

machotrouts

Sorry for replying to a dead man in another dead man's thread

holyzombiejesus

Aw, JoeyBananaduck.

Anyway, I have fainted in front of my whole class after being chosen by the cunt teacher to donate blood for all my classmates to look at through microscopes, in the school secretary's office after being kicked in the head by someone wearing running spikes, in a pub in Whalley Range (don't know why, it was half way through a lock-in though), in Corbieres in Manchester (another lock-in) after someone did that hold on you that can make you pass out (I was convinced it wouldn't work; it did and I still have the scar to prove it), in the cinema watching a short film where a man cut his own arm off and on the train (either because it was hot or because i was reading a book that had a bit about a man trying to walk on a broken leg). The train had to wait at my crappy station whilst they got my bike off and checked I was ok, so people will have been late home for their tea.

Norton Canes

Yeah once, in what I prefer to grandly term a 'nightclub collapse', though really I'd only ha a few drinks and it was hot and airless and while dancing I suddenly blacked out and fell over.

I get carb crashes every now and again which make me all light-headed. It just means someone has to administer emergency pizza.