Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Maus is back with not one but TWO NEW FUCKING ALBUMS. CHRIST.

Started by alan nagsworth, August 29, 2017, 08:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I haven't dumped my Ian Svenonius records but can't say I've listened to them since he outed himself as a wrong un.

The Mollusk

https://fb.watch/30RHuZds4Z/

Pink speaks to Tucker Carlson on Fox News, bemoans cancel culture multiple times, says he's now effectively "destitute and on the street" after being dropped by Mexican Summer, almost fakes crying, and appears to now be appealing entirely to the right wing mindset for sympathy and to keep his career afloat. Astounding stuff. Absolutely fuck this guy.

The comments section is rife with people saying this is communism at work and effectively bullying so he's gotten exactly the response he wanted. Fucking hell.

jobotic

So is being far right the hip thing among ageing hip musicians now? Oh joy.

good times

Quote from: mobias on January 14, 2021, 06:51:09 PM
Thread:

https://twitter.com/plasmatron/status/1347131077995933696?s=20

Thanks

Although I do find it weird when the media outs someone as a wrong un and suddenly a load of people are like "I met him once and he did some HORRENDOUS things" or "his behaviour was well known about for some time..." etc - why not say out that behaviour at the time then?

That said - from that thread I still have no idea what he did. Although from what I can discern it seems to be in the Sex and Pest genre.

spaghetamine

Quote from: good times on January 15, 2021, 08:36:46 AM
That said - from that thread I still have no idea what he did. Although from what I can discern it seems to be in the Sex and Pest genre.

bullied his girlfriend (two decades his junior) into having unprotected sex with her on multiple occasions without informing her that he had herpes, physically assaulted her on stage, sent nude photos of her to his friends without her permission, continued to harass her and her family after they had broken up, offered her a significant amount of hush money for her to not bring up the allegations - i'm about a big of fan of ariel's music as it's possible to me but fuck this clown, in addition to the predatory stuff he's also a tedious edgelord rich kid who seems to have nothing but contempt for his fans

i dunno about john really, he seems like a damaged individual who has disappeared down a spiritual and academic k-hole of absolute gibberish, probably exacerbated by the trauma of losing his brother and severe mental health issues

The Mollusk

Some additional thoughts from me, which I just posted on my Facebook, that continue from my earlier posts:

A lot of conflicting thoughts here. Obviously the most prominent one is that, now more than ever, Ariel Pink is undeniably, indefensibly a prick. It used to be all well and good when subversive artists would trojan horse into media outlets like this, ruffle some feathers and bolt out the back door laughing while the stuffed shirts and conservative types got angry and confused, but I don't really feel like there's a place for that in the current climate (and that isn't what Pink is doing, so don't convince yourself it's alright). If there was a fence dividing gonzo types like Eric Andre and Sam Hyde, Pink would definitely be on the Hyde side, but that fence doesn't exist any more. Irony is dead and confusion tactics in politics and the media are more rife than ever, and Pink knows this full well. Ever the self-serving narcissist, he's only interested in pursuing his own agenda with no care given to whether or not people think he's an advocate for grim, ugly fascism.

The comment section on the Facebook link from Fox had plenty of people otherwise unfamiliar with his work saying that the backlash against Pink is pure communism at work and that the left are a bunch of whitewashing bullies, which is exactly the reaction Pink wanted (especially if it helps divert any press away from the surfacing allegations of a history of abuse and sexual aggression/exploitation) and he'll just continue his artistic career separate from this regardless, which is just a fucking tragic mess if you ask me.

As always, I think it's crucial that people take stock of all the information available since the internet is so chock full of trending comments like "i never liekd his music anyway so glad he got canceled" (as if crowbarring yourself into the narrative somehow justifies the fact that he's been a manipulative and wretched person for a long time with real victims on the receiving end of it) or meme garbage like "lmao this shit is hilarious what alternate reality is this?"

The timeline we're living in right now is fucking bizarre and at times utterly incomprehensible, but instead of just embracing it like a log flume of shit firing right out of satan's dick it's crucial that you try and hold onto the sides so you can stop and take stock of the surroundings before we end up past the point of no return, lying in a crusty wank sock baking in hell.

garbed_attic

Quote from: spaghetamine on January 15, 2021, 09:52:38 AM
i dunno about john really, he seems like a damaged individual who has disappeared down a spiritual and academic k-hole of absolute gibberish, probably exacerbated by the trauma of losing his brother and severe mental health issues

That sounds about right. His ex-wife blaming him for his brother's death must have been - unjustly or otherwise - a major thing to deal with. I was troubled when he posted all the emails/letters he'd posted to an ex-girlfriend during their relationship, some of which was - I believe - pretty intense. I've never got the impression he's sexually predatory, but I think his Catholicism + academic naval gazing has led him into a troubling place. He should really stop hanging out with Ariel Pink, but I can imagine he might not have a big circle of friends tbh.

sevendaughters

John is reconciled with the estranged wife too. His ex-bandmates have no mention of their time with John on their social media (they used to p much be exclusively be "boys on tour" stuff). I think the drummer even deleted his insta, unless I can't find it.

Given that this case Ariel was involved with didn't literally begin 3 days ago, I can only assume that his label were doing due diligence to see how it panned out before parting ways. It is unfortunate for them in a sense that their decision to do this happened on the same day of the Trump rally (or shortly thereafter) as mendacious people can now conflate the two, or ignore the sexual stuff altogether.

Maybe it isn't the time for poetic reflections but Ariel was always obsessed with romantic failures like Bobby Jameson. He's probably now Bobby Jameson'd himself into obscurity in a fairly self-fulfilling way. His family are a bit Bluth too, rich criminals and detached layabouts. I think his dad did a Caged Wisdom.

Purple Toupee

Very thoughtful post from The Mollusk there, thanks for linking that Fox interview as it certainly cemented my feelings about all of this.

Like a few previous posters it's the first time a musician I'm a huge fan of has turned out to be this scummy, was still willing to listen to his old stuff after the Trump nonsense but not any more.

I don't see how anyone can separate the art from the artist in this case when his lyrics are so closely tied to that crude sleazeball 'persona' which turned out to just be the actual guy. Certainly most of my favourite songs seem to be ruined beyond repair - Not Enough Violence, Butt-House Blondies, The People I'm Not, Symphony of the Nymph, the Only In My Dreams video etc.

Suspect this won't be the last of the allegations either given the number of female musicians he's worked with.

good times

Quote from: spaghetamine on January 15, 2021, 09:52:38 AM
bullied his girlfriend (two decades his junior) into having unprotected sex with her on multiple occasions without informing her that he had herpes, physically assaulted her on stage, sent nude photos of her to his friends without her permission, continued to harass her and her family after they had broken up, offered her a significant amount of hush money for her to not bring up the allegations - i'm about a big of fan of ariel's music as it's possible to me but fuck this clown, in addition to the predatory stuff he's also a tedious edgelord rich kid who seems to have nothing but contempt for his fans

Cheers - that's all incredibly horrendous and bleak.

I suppose a lot of people on twitter etc. merely alluding to horrible behaviour rather than going into specifics is not wanting to be seen as a gossip, or possibly even fear of litigation, but when it's that level of shit it seems the sort of thing people shouldn't be shy of shouting about.

Had never actually made the time to listen to his stuff and definitely shan't bother now.

The Mollusk

His music is so very annoyingly catchy that this whole debacle has left about 10 of his songs whirling round my head for the last few days. Found myself humming some in the shower this morning and had to cut myself short.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 15, 2021, 05:16:28 PM
His music is so very annoyingly catchy that this whole debacle has left about 10 of his songs whirling round my head for the last few days. Found myself humming some in the shower this morning and had to cut myself short.

At least we can still listen to Beverly Kills in its original form
https://youtu.be/xodVMzI79mA?t=50

non capisco

garbed_attic

I thought this was a neatly self-reflective and quite sad piece:
https://junkee.com/ariel-pink-legacy/285294

I definitely relate to self-identifying as a "fucked up person with a lot of issues" in my 20s and projecting that onto male artists who, at best, were self-mythogising abusers. For me it was less within music and more the autobiographics comics scene - Joe Matt, David Heatley, Chester Brown, Crumb (to a lesser degree) etc.

sevendaughters

Nice piece. I was in the middle of writing something longform to coincide with Sit N Spin (due out 21st) but put it on the backburner and then ultimately decided against it. I've felt for a long time that retromania and chillwave and Mark Fisher have done his work a disservice and that there are components to it that are original. Not going to write that now, obviously.

John responded to me when I messaged him pointing out he'd donated $1500 to Winred. He's messaged a few people the same text so I don't feel bad sharing this:

QuoteI donated to Yang and Bernie in the primaries.  When the DNC arranged to have it stolen from Bernie AGAIN (e.g., keeping Sen. Warren in the race during Super Tuesday), and put up a racist (busing scandal, 94' Crime Bill, etc.) influence peddling ("the big guy gets 10%"), War Criminal (Iraq, Libya, etc.), the extremely obnoxious and repugnant orange reality star seemed like the lesser of two evils.  Unpopular opinion, I know, but I can't stand that racist-ass Cheney 2.0 Biden, I wanted him to lose.

I mean, I do not get it, and I probably never will. But fair enough for replying.

Famous Mortimer

He's not wrong about Biden, but he's very very wrong about Trump.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on January 14, 2021, 10:06:23 PM
I haven't dumped my Ian Svenonius records but can't say I've listened to them since he outed himself as a wrong un.

WHat? WHAT?!?!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 19, 2021, 03:03:01 PM
He's not wrong about Biden, but he's very very wrong about Trump.

I see his point, having the same opinion, almost. It's a scale with only one balance.

sevendaughters

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 19, 2021, 08:06:33 PM
WHat? WHAT?!?!

it was a weird self-outing, said he had been inappropriate historically, but said no more

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, Jobotic messaged me a link. Quite strange that, a self-cancelling with no accompanying allegations or even rumours.  I didn't think that his statement really warranted Merge's reaction but I also felt that their statement seemed to hint that allegations had been made following his statement. I may just be reading it wrong (hopefully).

I think I agree with this post on Reddit but it may just be because I really like the guy.

QuoteWhile I'm aware that Svenonius operates in a snarky, post-irony mindset, I do acknowledge that he's come out of a Highly Ethical scene and that his desire to stamp out specific sorts of problematic behavior is genuine. There's definitely some orange flags about him: he seems to collaborate with 23 year old women quite a lot. On the other hand, he's a FOAF many times over and several of those people go back into the early 90's with him, so it's not like he's got a long line of burned bridges behind him; he is capable of bonding and forming meaningful relationships with people.

If you read his statement, I think he's trying to admit that he's been inappropriate and and creepy but I don't come away from this feeling like he's admitting to being a serial rapist. I don't think he's trying to soften his own consequences by attempting to position himself in the current effort to confront an epidemic of sexual assault. In his own weird way, having come up in the Dischord world, he wants to help and in order to do that, he has to own up to the wrongs he's done.

lazyhour

Friend Of A Female?
Freak On A Fretboard?

Fystem Of A Fown?

spaghetamine

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

man the bad thoughts per second on this interview is dazzling

The Mollusk

Quote from: spaghetamine on January 20, 2021, 05:23:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prsZ8DLq9rA

Ariel interviewed by Andrew Callaghan, bit of a painful watch at times

From the comments:

Quote"Who sank my battleship? I sank my battleship. "
-Ariel Pink

Excellent.

spaghetamine

honestly made me a bit sad as he seems properly frazzled these days, I get separating the art from the artist and all that but i still can't get my head around the fact that this paranoid shell of a human is the same person who made all the joyous, freaky music that has been a soundtrack to so much of my life

Purple Toupee

Quote from: spaghetamine on January 20, 2021, 05:23:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prsZ8DLq9rA

Ariel interviewed by Andrew Callaghan, bit of a painful watch at times

The guy's brain is soup, he can barely get a sentence out.

"People hate Trump because they like the attention", christ

RDRR

Hah, he's an imbecile. He definitely speaks like someone who's spent the last 4/5 years watching Trump interviews.

Stunning bit on covid: https://youtu.be/prsZ8DLq9rA?t=1349

Spoiler alert
It's a conspiracy by the WHO and scientists to redistribute wealth
[close]

"Will you take the vaccine when it comes out?"

"Well, if I don't have covid then I don't need to, right? I feel like I'll get it if I take the vaccine. ... I'll wait til I actually get it before I take the vaccine."

Thanks for the Maus quote above though, sevendaughters. At least he's coherent.