Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

John Maus is back with not one but TWO NEW FUCKING ALBUMS. CHRIST.

Started by alan nagsworth, August 29, 2017, 08:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: hedgehog90 on October 26, 2017, 11:30:06 PM
New music video:

Touchdown

Tis a thing of beauty. Love the cognitive dissonance from the Trumptards in the comments too.

garbed_attic

Personally it's grown and grown on me - it's far less challenging that his previous output, admittedly, but it just all flows so well and so pleasingly! It's a weirdly pleasant listen. It's definitely his most apologetically vaporwavey album and with such a brutalising year that feels pretty okay to me. It also brings the more melancholy aspects of his work to the fore. I can see how it would disappoint a lot of fans, but I will admit to getting a lot more out of it than, say, the more extroverted offerings of St. Vincent and others.

garbed_attic

Previously unreleased track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBZtFdjx6Lo

I understand why it was left off the album, but I quite like its pretty gloominess.

I add edited together another scrappy Maus fan video for 'It Takes Time':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqCY_hqvgk

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: gout_pony on March 20, 2018, 06:43:25 PM
Previously unreleased track:

I understand why it was left off the album, but I quite like its pretty gloominess.

I add edited together another scrappy Maus fan video for 'It Takes Time':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjqCY_hqvgk

59 views - we're really in the vanguard.

And well done on the video, I like the choice of using Paul McCarthy. I'm not sure about the song either.

BlodwynPig

He played Toronto recently but I didn't go because I was too nervous about an upcoming conference. what a fuck I am.

garbed_attic

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 20, 2018, 09:12:07 PM
59 views - we're really in the vanguard.

And well done on the video, I like the choice of using Paul McCarthy. I'm not sure about the song either.

Yeh - it's an odd one. He does like getting silly and queasy (in a kind of prurient way) sometimes, but I'm sure he has his reasons!

I'd been watching Paul McCarthy stuff recently and it seems to intuitively click for me - thanks!

And, Blodders, he's pretty exhilarating live, but I don't know if it is a Necessary Life Event. A shame you missed it though x

marquis_de_sad

Addendum seems to be out. I've only heard Episode so far, which I like, but I'm not sure about the vocal melody. Seems a little bit aimless and Maus-by-numbers.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on April 10, 2018, 12:26:00 PM
Addendum seems to be out. I've only heard Episode so far, which I like, but I'm not sure about the vocal melody. Seems a little bit aimless and Maus-by-numbers.

Release date is the 20th. Episode is up on Spotify, but the album isn't, and it's not on Soulseek either. Where are you copping word of this?

WHERE DAMN IT

marquis_de_sad

Oh yeah sorry, I saw the 'buy' button on this and assumed it was out

alan nagsworth

On first listen, I actually really dig Episode! I grew to enjoy Screen Memories eventually, but this sounds more in the vein of what I love about yer man.

marquis_de_sad

The music is great, but I need to give it a few more listens before I start loving the vocals.

sevendaughters

re: Addendum - Episode hasn't grabbed me, and a cursory look at the tracklist shows it to have '1987' and 'I Want To Live' on, which I have heard and neither of which have grabbed me. Got me thinking this is very much A Collection Etc Pt 2 featuring some of the stuff that shouldn't be released. Still, gonna get it!

Bazooka

It's fine, just sounds like John Maus but a very forgettable track.

sevendaughters

can't believe this track isn't getting a release on Addendum. it's from that weird fake-trailer he made ahead of Screen Memories. i love this. good death music for an Amiga game.

sevendaughters

got Addendum on. some crackers on here for sure. megafans will be thinking some of this stuff should have made Screen Memories at expense of their lesser favs on that for sure.

hedgehog90

The last 2 tracks are incredible.

Edit: just realised they're from 2003's I Want To Live.

That says a lot doesn't it :/

garbed_attic

I've arranged my own Maus videos and the many tens from the hundreds I've surveyed into two evolving playlists!

'John Maus songs w/ 1980s vhs or 1920s film footage'
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDGDddbJL025yAJII6-grgvwizpPgzHb

and its sister volume:
'John Maus Songs w/ 1970s film or 1990s video aesthetic'
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDGDddbJL00xqeh3lUcth3_joRIisWVE

The title are a little loose but generally I think the 1st is more euphoric and hyper-capitalist and the 2nd grubbier/seedier and more dystopian, maybe.

There's definitely some treats inside!

BlodwynPig

sevendaughters

Quote from: hedgehog90 on April 28, 2018, 03:07:39 PM
The last 2 tracks are incredible.

Edit: just realised they're from 2003's I Want To Live.

That says a lot doesn't it :/

for me the best songs are Outer Space, Dumpster Baby, Figured It Out, Mind The Droves, and the cover of Privacy, as good as his solid-tier songs but not in the upper echelon of bangers. it's a fans-only release and it shows. fortunately I'm a fan. ACORAPUM had more bad tracks but also had three or four total winners on it.

alan nagsworth

I think Addendum is very good. Far more immediately pleasing than Screen Memories. Cannot wait to see him play again with some of this stuff in his arsenal.

Incidentally one day last week I became completely obsessed with Castles in the Grave. Like, I've always loved it but for some reason on this one day it completely took over my mind. I listened to it about twenty times between appointments at work, often playing it three or four times on repeat. The second, longer synth break is so piercing and revelatory that it feels like my soul is being ripped apart by it.

The song is just so bewildering and mental, easily one of his finest moments. If any fucker has a clue about what the title means, I'd like to know please.

When I got home I went to link it on Facebook and realised he made a video for it. Some poor sod films him in his bedroom as he goes apeshit, screaming in that inimitable Maus way. Straight out of the gate, he chucks a big office chair up the wall. Fucking amazing.

garbed_attic

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 30, 2018, 05:59:59 PM
ACORAPUM had more bad tracks but also had three or four total winners on it.

Oddly I find ACORAPUM (a very Herring acronym, that) relentlessly pleasing - the stylistic changes due to the disparate periods of period make it all the more enjoyable for me. 'All Aboard' and 'Lost' are the only two that don't do very much for me, in truth.

Is everyone torrenting Addendum or is there a legit way to get one's mitts on it?

sevendaughters

Quote from: gout_pony on May 01, 2018, 12:28:48 AM
Oddly I find ACORAPUM (a very Herring acronym, that) relentlessly pleasing - the stylistic changes due to the disparate periods of period make it all the more enjoyable for me. 'All Aboard' and 'Lost' are the only two that don't do very much for me, in truth.

Is everyone torrenting Addendum or is there a legit way to get one's mitts on it?

I really love All Aboard, there's something about that keyboard tone in the chorus after he sings the title, really slays me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on May 01, 2018, 12:28:48 AM

PM me

garbed_attic

Put together vid for 'Walls of Silence' last night. I think this is a rather nice one, hopefully!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Hj6JPDRWM

checkoutgirl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 30, 2018, 07:44:16 PM
I think Addendum is very good. Far more immediately pleasing than Screen Memories. Cannot wait to see him play again with some of this stuff in his arsenal.

Incidentally one day last week I became completely obsessed with Castles in the Grave. Like, I've always loved it but for some reason on this one day it completely took over my mind. I listened to it about twenty times between appointments at work, often playing it three or four times on repeat. The second, longer synth break is so piercing and revelatory that it feels like my soul is being ripped apart by it.

The song is just so bewildering and mental, easily one of his finest moments. If any fucker has a clue about what the title means, I'd like to know please.

When I got home I went to link it on Facebook and realised he made a video for it. Some poor sod films him in his bedroom as he goes apeshit, screaming in that inimitable Maus way. Straight out of the gate, he chucks a big office chair up the wall. Fucking amazing.

That rarities album has some real riches within. "Bennington" is a monster.

hedgehog90

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 01, 2018, 01:31:42 PM
That rarities album has some real riches within. "Bennington" is a monster.

I have a lot of favourite Maus tracks but that one just about edges it. The refrain near the end of 'just for one night' at the end is marvelous beyond words.
just thinking about it now ...
*shiver*

sevendaughters

hedgehog90

I've just done my bi-annual Maus splurge today, finishing with the Screen Memories and Addendum, and I'm sorry to say I felt almost no connection with the last 2 after the brilliance of WMBTPCOO and ACORAPUM.
They just feel so distinctly flat compared to his earlier work and I don't think any amount of re-listening is going to change my mind on that.
1987 and I Want To Live are wonderful and by far my two favourite tracks from Addendum, but sadly they're not representative of the rest of the album (considering they were originally released in 2003), it seems more appropriate to view them as bonus content.
But just taking into account tracks 1-10 I'd agree that Addendum is better than Screen Memories.
The Combine is good, but the rest of Screen Memories just feels like nothing.

alan nagsworth

Aye, for those doubting Screen Memories like I once did (I still don't love it but I appreciate it a lot more now), a friend of mine wrote this review which certainly helped me to understand what's so decent about it. I'd say it's worth a read:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/21570