Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB memes you don't understand

Started by thecuriousorange, August 31, 2017, 04:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 31, 2017, 09:59:05 PM
The question is, who went and tagged hundreds of threads with BAMLEM, even ones made before the phrase came into being?

Barry Admin recently (as in, a few months ago, probably when the tags died) revealed that the BAMLEM tagger was in fact the now-(presumably)-departed O G Mudbone.

ASFTSN

Quote from: pancreas on August 31, 2017, 05:08:04 PM
Aerial assault provided by pterodactyls with dog-shit in piping bags attached to their instead of beaks;

Careful there.

Here Comes Mongo

I sort of get how your typical CaB poster might be a bald, unemployed, mentally ill man, but why would he also have phimosis?

Brundle-Fly

What was Waspy's wife all about again?

Space ghost

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 01, 2017, 01:05:39 AM
Dismissing someone with a simple, weary, devastating "Mate" is one of my favourite recent CaB memes, but it appears to have faded away now.

Mate.

Is that a CaB meme or just how people talk in everyday life

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Space ghost on September 01, 2017, 10:46:26 AM
Is that a CaB meme or just how people talk in everyday life

It's a general expression of disapproval/ disbelief/ incredulity that has gained popularity in the past five years. File it along side 'result', 'back of the net' and 'Get in'

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 01, 2017, 10:51:55 AM
It's a general expression of disapproval/ disbelief/ incredulity that has gained popularity in the past five years. File it along side 'result', 'back of the net' and 'Get in'

I did enjoy the flurry of people subverting "mate" in various ways, the pinnacle to my mind being this piece of work by Captain Z in one of our regular shit-for-cunts threads in response to some nail polish aimed at men:

Quote from: Captain Z on December 16, 2015, 09:51:55 AM
Quote from: Blue Jam on December 16, 2015, 09:51:55 AM

Matte.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on September 01, 2017, 10:16:19 AM
I sort of get how your typical CaB poster might be a bald, unemployed, mentally ill man, but why would he also have phimosis?

Whenever there's a thread where people talk about their peniseseses there always seems to be a disproportionately high number of people who suffer or suffered from phimosis. And it has always been so, even as different members (haha) have come and gone. One of life's great mysteries. Unless it's just that more people than you realise in real life suffer or suffered from phimosis but don't talk about it.

MoonDust

I think the "mate" meme died a death because it got overused to the point of tedium and stopped it being funny. I was one of the offenders of this, I'm sorry to admit.

I liked the very short lived "Bourgeois complacency", though it probably wasn't really a meme. Just something I or Danger Man and maybe a couple others would say every now and then half-jokingly to refer to middle class stuff/privileges.

Can't remember who originally said that in a post though. And I think the original post was serious.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: MoonDust on September 01, 2017, 11:34:52 AM
I think the "mate" meme died a death because it got overused to the point of tedium and stopped it being funny. I was one of the offenders of this, I'm sorry to admit.

I liked the very short lived "Bourgeois complacency", though it probably wasn't really a meme. Just something I or Danger Man and maybe a couple others would say every now and then half-jokingly to refer to middle class stuff/privileges.

Can't remember who originally said that in a post though. And I think the original post was serious.

mate

MoonDust

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on September 01, 2017, 11:42:43 AM
mate

Exactly.

I'm glad I know where "I BALEM JACK BAUER" comes from. Quite a nice story behind that.

jobotic

I love mate, get in grave (or even better, just grave) and shit for cunts.

You know those Open Your Eyes To Hate type pages on facebook? There's always a comment under everything they post that's incredibly lengthy, about Muslims taking over and the intolerant left being the real fascists etc etc etc. Really get worked up. Mate just looks perfect posted underneath.

Most of the others I assume are before my time and don't get.

Oh and whoever used bulb as an insult it a good un too.

Serge

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 01, 2017, 03:42:52 AMIs "shit for cunts" a CaB thing? I fucking love that one, got a level of contempt that's both genuine and knowingly pathetic for me.

I certainly picked it up from here, and then managed to make it a Rough Trade meme, where myself and certain colleagues used it so much that when I spotted it on here once, I wondered how someone had got hold of it, before remembering that I'd nicked it from here in the first place.

Phil_A

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 31, 2017, 09:59:05 PM
The question is, who went and tagged hundreds of threads with BAMLEM, even ones made before the phrase came into being?

Did you ever tag a thread with I BAMLEM JACK BUAER? Tell us about your motivations.

None of them pre-date the original thread, as that would be impossible unless the tags somehow travelled back in time.

I always thought MATE originated from that thing Adam & Joe used to do of responding to things with Australian accents. "Aw, maaaate!"

Uncle TechTip

You just find an old thread and tag it. There are loads from 2004 era with one single tag. Were, I should say were (blub)

Blue Jam

"[name of comedian, usually Tim Vine] drops mic, walks into crowd" Where did this come from and what does it mean?

"Favid Foster Wallace". I understand that it may have originated as a drunken typo, much like I BAMLEM JACK BUAER, but that doesn't make it funny. I think someone was trying their best to make "Favid Foster Wallace" a meme, just as someone had tried with IT WAS TAMPON. You just can't force a meme...

Blue Jam

On the subject of LEGEND GARY, did anyone else read Limmy's That's Your Lot and wonder if the final story (Benidorm) had been heavily influenced by the LEGEND GARY thread? The protagonist is a perfect LEGEND GARY.

(Hi Limmy, if you're reading)

Blue Jam

I remember posting about Alpha Nail, blimey... and you may be pleased to hear that they have now gone bust. A business selling nail polish that it's socially acceptable for men to wear, becasue they say it is? Mate.

popcorn

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 01, 2017, 01:16:47 PM
You just can't force a meme...

I'm going to keep writing "spoiler" as "spongler" until everyone's on the same page.

Serge

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 01, 2017, 01:16:47 PM"[name of comedian, usually Tim Vine] drops mic, walks into crowd" Where did this come from and what does it mean?

I know the answer to this, mainly because I had to ask what it was all about at one point - apparently it's something that Stewart Lee used to do. Though it may also just derive from this.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 01, 2017, 01:19:28 PM
On the subject of LEGEND GARY, did anyone else read Limmy's That's Your Lot and wonder if the final story (Benidorm) had been heavily influenced by the LEGEND GARY thread? The protagonist is a perfect LEGEND GARY.

(Hi Limmy, if you're reading)

That was one of the stories that I thought had been more heavily influenced by Irvine Welsh.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

On the whole "new page" thing, surely I can't be the only person who's gone into account settings and changed it so that 50 messages get displayed per page, not 30?

doppelkorn

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 01, 2017, 01:16:47 PM
"Favid Foster Wallace". I understand that it may have originated as a drunken typo, much like I BAMLEM JACK BUAER, but that doesn't make it funny. I think someone was trying their best to make "Favid Foster Wallace" a meme, just as someone had tried with IT WAS TAMPON. You just can't force a meme...

I wasn't the original tagger of Favid Foster Wallace, but I did maybe tag it (and variations) on perhaps three other threads, then gave up. Then months later it kind of came back and has been bubbling under ever since. The only reason I remember it is because you picked it up last time we had this thread.

pancreas

Someone explained 'The Dogs (201X)' to me but now I've forgotten.

Crabwalk

Quote from: pancreas on September 01, 2017, 02:07:34 PM
Someone explained 'The Dogs (201X)' to me but now I've forgotten.

Oh my god. Where to start with that one. Basically 'The Dogs' was a film that a poster was 'in the process of' making. Duke De Mondo is best placed to expand, if he feels like it.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: pancreas on August 31, 2017, 05:08:04 PM
This is not a meme. Clowne is a word for an apocalypse myth in which [...] for educational purposes [...] it seems worth it on this occasion.

Absolutely, on this occasion.  Thank you very much for the concise summary.  Having come to the whole thing far too late, I'd kind of picked up elements of the mythos but was basically just left bewildered and cold by it.  It was only the wonderful Christmas song stuff that made me realise there was a bit more to it than I thought.

It isn't really my sort of humour (more like a kind of nightmarish sexual horror scenario, which I think might well be the point), but at least I'm now reasonably up to speed.  Thank you again. :-)

It does rather feel like you've done something forbidden, like explaining the rules of Mornington Crescent, though.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 01, 2017, 02:12:37 PM
Oh my god. Where to start with that one. Basically 'The Dogs' was a film that a poster was 'in the process of' making. Duke De Mondo is best placed to expand, if he feels like it.

"The Dogs" was the working title, it was released a few years later as "Spunkin' On Dogs".

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 31, 2017, 07:57:23 PM
It's about the principle. The wording just saves time communicating that conviction.

Yeah, it's fascinating how that grew on me.  On the first-ever thread I was kind of like "What?  Which grave?  Their grave?  Any grave?  Why is there no article?" but over time the sheer poetry and economy of words to express the concept really grew on me.  (Is this too pretentious? - Ed.)

Quote from: Shay Chaise on August 31, 2017, 07:57:23 PMThe awful Twitter meme 'GET IN THE FUCKING SEA' is an on-the-nose thick person's rip-off off 'get in grave' and was likely 'created' by one of the less intelligent and creative members of this forum, or a media-type lurker.

My suspicion about that is that it was taken to Twitter by somebody who'd seen it here, but realised that in these sad times in which we live it could be seen as an implied death threat.  When we're living in a world where a humorous tweet about airport delays can get you into serious trouble, better safe than sorry.  And after all there's always been a specific law about making death threats, thus bellowing "GET IN GRAVE" at someone on Twitter could well end badly, whereas "GET IN THE SEA" doesn't necessarily imply mortality.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2017, 09:03:24 PM
It's hardly the most original phrase. We were usiing Go and jump in a lake as a dismissal in the playground forty years ago.

Indeed, but I haven't really heard it much since then, and the style and rhythm are quite different.  I do think The Boston Chaise and Vodka Margarine are correct: it seems an unlikely coincidence that just as CaB discourse reached its point of peak Grave, being used frequently in threads, a bowdlerised version used in an extremely similar manner suddenly hit Twitter.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 31, 2017, 08:00:51 PM
Get In Grave was a creation of the apparently departed The Boston Crab, an excellent poster before he got bored and started behaving in a cunty way.

I'm not sure whether that's extreme irony there S?S!, or you've done something a little odd.

holyzombiejesus

What's that antsoai (or whatever it is) about?

Phil_A

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 01, 2017, 02:12:37 PM

Yes, now departed poster danylux/cunkycoo and his masterpiece, which was allegedly going to premiere at the Prince Charles Theatre in 2015/16. Here's a couple of threads about it(the original got nuked).

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48488.0
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49486.0

All the work-in-progress clips of the he linked just looked like frightening glimpse into the depths an extremely troubled lifestyle, like that documentary "66 Days". I hope he's got himself sorted out, wherever he is.