Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB memes you don't understand

Started by thecuriousorange, August 31, 2017, 04:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on September 01, 2017, 11:23:58 AM
Whenever there's a thread where people talk about their peniseseses there always seems to be a disproportionately high number of people who suffer or suffered from phimosis. And it has always been so, even as different members (haha) have come and gone. One of life's great mysteries. Unless it's just that more people than you realise in real life suffer or suffered from phimosis but don't talk about it.

(emphasis mine)

Yeah, I've sometimes wondered the same thing.  Given that there's no obvious link between having phimosis[1] and being a Verbwhore[2] (not seen any posts that even hint at "my penis problems led to my obsession with darker humour"), I honestly and quite seriously do wonder if it isn't a massively under-reported problem in modern Britain.

1.  Which I suffered from myself until a rather bloody frenulum-ripping incident in my mid-20s, which sorted it, however it hadn't been bad enough to stop me having sex before then.
     2.  Yeah, I like it too.  As has been mentioned, the modern equivalent is a bit too sanitised and brings on thoughts of racist taxi drivers.

pancreas

Quote from: Phil_A on September 01, 2017, 03:30:33 PM
Yes, now departed poster danylux/cunkycoo and his masterpiece, which was allegedly going to premiere at the Prince Charles Theatre in 2015/16. Here's a couple of threads about it(the original got nuked).

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48488.0
http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49486.0

All the work-in-progress clips of the he linked just looked like frightening glimpse into the depths an extremely troubled lifestyle, like that documentary "66 Days". I hope he's got himself sorted out, wherever he is.

I just can't get my head around this. What is the film 'My Conversation with Daniel: https://youtu.be/4sZywebufBs'; which Duke posted? Does it feature 'danyulx'? Because whoever's in that looks to be taking the absolute piss, and is doing it very amusingly.

But maybe I'm misreading it. It's so like a spoof. But, yet ...

There's this: https://www.youtube.com/user/danyulx

Fucking hell there are some weird people here.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 01, 2017, 03:25:19 PM
What's that antsoai (or whatever it is) about?

An tSaoi was a regular (and still occasional) poster from Ireland.  He was a teenager when he first started posting and for a while was extremely prolific, a bit like an Irish S?S!.

The username apparently means "The Sage" in Irish, although few of us knew that at the time the meme appeared.

For some reason the name became the joke option on polls (much like Slashdot's CowboyNeal) but exactly why I'm not sure.  Possibly because it looks so odd to English-speaking eyes and has a certain rhythm to it, and/or possibly a joke because of the poster's ubiquity at the time (i.e. so ubiquitous he even ends up on every poll).

I do know that it pissed him off though, and I may have got the above wrong, apologies if so; hopefully somebody more informed than me can fill in the gap (if there is one).

Phil_A

Quote from: pancreas on September 01, 2017, 03:43:44 PM
I just can't get my head around this. What is the film 'My Conversation with Daniel: https://youtu.be/4sZywebufBs'; which Duke posted? Does it feature 'danylux'? Because whoever's in that looks to be taking the absolute piss, and is doing it very amusingly.

That's footage by Duke I believe? I couldn't honestly say whether the whole thing wasn't supposed to be an elaborate performance art hoax, but he did appear to be genuinely a bit disturbed(I think the bit about him being banned from Sainsburys for constantly shoplifting was true).

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 01, 2017, 03:21:05 PM
I'm not sure whether that's extreme irony there S?S!, or you've done something a little odd.

Your fiver is in the post*.

*Something like that anyway.

Ambient Sheep

Btw, thanks to Phil_A and Crabwalk for attempting to explain the The Dogs (201x) thing.  That pretty much passed me by at the time due to life busyness and I'd never quite understood it.  (See also Basketball Heads, which was a mystery to me until it got explained the last time we had one of these threads.)

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on September 01, 2017, 04:01:50 PMYour fiver is in the post.

Thank you. :-)

Utter Shit

There's never been a satisfactory explanation of what 'that voice' actually is. At best it's loosely-defined and loads of people have a different interpretation of it, at worst it's basically meaningless and used to describe any voice that is irritating in a subtle way.

Ambient Sheep

There was in the end, with that video that showed the Python's Throatwobbler-Mangrove sketch reinterpreted in "that voice" style.  It was only then that I got it, mind.

Had the proponents of the "that voice" observation done that a lot earlier, or even tried to explain it in any more detail than just "you know, that voice", I think a HUGE amount of unpleasantness could have been avoided.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: pancreas on September 01, 2017, 03:43:44 PM
Does it feature 'danylux'? Because whoever's in that looks to be taking the absolute piss, and is doing it very amusingly.

Yes, that is Daniel, or danylux. That was a chat I had with him one afternoon. Back then he had asked me to come onboard as an editor, but the two bits set to music in that video are as much editing as I ever got done. He had a hard drive full of footage - some it among the grimmest and most upsetting stuff I've ever seen - but it was a task and a half trying to make much sense of any of it. Hundreds of scenes filmed over the course of a couple of months in a house full of madmen in Pimlico, with the odd excursion to central London for this stunt or the other, such as wandering naked past Downing Street hollering "The Dogs!" at everyone that passed.

Basically he was using CaB as a promotional tool, the problem being the film he was promoting didn't exist, but that didn't seem to worry him too much. He would post endless "trailers" and "deleted scenes," usually just stuff he had filmed on his phone that morning. The highlights of the whole saga as it played out here were the back and forth emails with the increasingly exasperated manager of the Prince Charles cinema, and a series of attempts to get Chris Morris onboard, culminating in an angry voicemail from Chris Morris's wife (although I don't think that was ever posted. It does exist, though. Or did.). The low points involved him crashing into other threads posting multiple pictures of his willy or angry letters from the dole or whatever supermarket he'd been banned from recently, or whatever. It became clear pretty quickly that he wasn't at all well, although a lot of what he was saying and the claims he was making were just him amusing himself. He was frequently taking the piss. Nonetheless, he was eventually banned.

I will say, for all his problems, he's one of the loveliest and funniest people I've ever met. Last time I saw him, around this time last year, he had sorted himself out a good bit, and was in much better shape than he was at the height of The Dogs (2015). The film was no further forward.

Ambient Sheep

Thank you Duke, amazing stuff.  Had no idea.

pancreas

Yes, ta also.

FWIW I think people should post more pictures of their willies here. I would be happy to rate them.

Phil_A

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 01, 2017, 04:18:44 PM
Yes, that is Daniel, or danylux. That was a chat I had with him one afternoon. Back then he had asked me to come onboard as an editor, but the two bits set to music in that video are as much editing as I ever got done. He had a hard drive full of footage - some it among the grimmest and most upsetting stuff I've ever seen - but it was a task and a half trying to make much sense of any of it. Hundreds of scenes filmed over the course of a couple of months in a house full of madmen in Pimlico, with the odd excursion to central London for this stunt or the other, such as wandering naked past Downing Street hollering "The Dogs!" at everyone that passed.

Basically he was using CaB as a promotional tool, the problem being the film he was promoting didn't exist, but that didn't seem to worry him too much. He would post endless "trailers" and "deleted scenes," usually just stuff he had filmed on his phone that morning. The highlights of the whole saga as it played out here were the back and forth emails with the increasingly exasperated manager of the Prince Charles cinema, and a series of attempts to get Chris Morris onboard, culminating in an angry voicemail from Chris Morris's wife (although I don't think that was ever posted. It does exist, though. Or did.). The low points involved him crashing into other threads posting multiple pictures of his willy or angry letters from the dole or whatever supermarket he'd been banned from recently, or whatever. It became clear pretty quickly that he wasn't at all well, although a lot of what he was saying and the claims he was making were just him amusing himself. He was frequently taking the piss. Nonetheless, he was eventually banned.

I will say, for all his problems, he's one of the loveliest and funniest people I've ever met. Last time I saw him, around this time last year, he had sorted himself out a good bit, and was in much better shape than he was at the height of The Dogs (2015). The film was no further forward.

Blimey, I was going to ask if you were ever able to make anything of the footage, but it sounds like it was probably a lost cause. Good to hear he's turned himself around a bit, though.

jobotic

pancreas

Quote from: jobotic on September 01, 2017, 04:30:43 PM
Here's mine Pancreas, in wool form.

I hope it is a grower. Is that a brown woolen condom on it? 3/10 max. Sorry but I have to be fair to the other willies that might get posted.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 01, 2017, 04:18:44 PM

I've got (what he said was) Chris Morris's phone number from him. Not going to post it on a public forum for obvious reasons but I like to think it's somewhere hidden in My Photos just in case I come across something which needs satirising.

pancreas

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on September 01, 2017, 05:18:17 PM
I've got (what he said was) Chris Morris's phone number from him. Not going to post it on a public forum for obvious reasons but I like to think it's somewhere hidden in My Photos just in case I come across something which needs satirising.

Very good. I'd prefer you to post a picture of your willy, though, please.

Chairman Bodog

DEAD SOON is the only one I like using. Any tangible origin story or is it just the ten a penny suicidal nonchalance that you see on every down and out forum?

doppelkorn

danyulx also turned up to a Christmas CaB meet, a little worse for wear.

shiftwork2

Never been sure about the origins of 'smerky let plekry', despite it being a very pleasing combination of letters.  Presume it was contained in a drunk post.  You don't see it much these days.

Thursday

The average CaBber is older now, and is able to drink and post without starting unintentional memes.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 01, 2017, 04:10:29 PM
There's never been a satisfactory explanation of what 'that voice' actually is. At best it's loosely-defined and loads of people have a different interpretation of it, at worst it's basically meaningless and used to describe any voice that is irritating in a subtle way.

It never bothered me particularly so I'm definitely not an expert, but I'd say the explanation is it's a forced 'awkward' line delivery meant to make the character sound a bit self-conscious & dorky, like a pale imitation of Alan Partridge in IAP onwards.

Thursday

Are people really arguing with something SOTCAA said over 10 years ago? Move on.

weekender

Quote from: Thursday on August 31, 2017, 09:57:53 PM
Also verbwhores is one where you'd have to explain what it actually means and where it comes from, and I can't properly remember it even though I've read the explanation a couple of times. So CaBbers is less confusing.

I dunno, the first meet I ever went to, some bloke (gavin, maybe?) came up to me and said "Are you a verbwhore?".

Fortunately I was, otherwise he could have had some more violent conversations instead of the pleasant ones we had.

weekender

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 01, 2017, 03:35:55 PMWhich I suffered from myself until a rather bloody frenulum-ripping incident in my mid-20s, which sorted it, however it hadn't been bad enough to stop me having sex before then.

I have 20 days to get all of these images out of my head, wish me luck.

touchingcloth

I love The Dogs (2015), used to be great going into a thread knowing you would see some kind of variation on the theme without being quite sure what it would be.

Have we mentioned "arsed, mate: cigs" yet, or the simpler contractions of just "arsed" or "cigs"? Be good to know where the were spawned.

Another one that'd be good if someone remembers the specific thread for is "please take the balls out". I remember it started with some poster trying to get a translation of some dialogue from a Japanese pinball-type machine, but I'm coming up blank when I try and find the tread.

On "mate", I've always processed that in a darker way than how Adam and Joe used to say it. They would always draw out the aaaaaa and if you were to pen a transcript of one of their shows you'd probably punctuate the word with an exclamation mark, whereas I've always read a CaB "mate" as terse, annoyed and very much punctuated with a full step. Mate.

Howj Begg

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 01, 2017, 06:49:40 PM
Another one that'd be good if someone remembers the specific thread for is "please take the balls out". I remember it started with some poster trying to get a translation of some dialogue from a Japanese pinball-type machine, but I'm coming up blank when I try and find the tread.

Is this related to *presents balls* ?

If not where did that come from?

Consignia

Have we mentioned "arsed, mate: cigs" yet, or the simpler contractions of just "arsed" or "cigs"? Be good to know where the were spawned.

It's from this comic by Golden Tony and Shoulders:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26432.0.html

It was from Pinball's request to get a translation of his Pachinko machine. I obliged with a rather rigid translation. Surprised it took off, but obviously there's big humour in those balls.

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52068.0

EDIT:

For fucks sake, I didn't read that thread, but I made almost the same joke as my last sentence here as I did there:

Quote from: Consignia on January 30, 2016, 08:16:44 PM
There's big bucks in those balls.

I'm a fucking broken record.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 01, 2017, 06:15:59 PM
It never bothered me particularly so I'm definitely not an expert, but I'd say the explanation is it's a forced 'awkward' line delivery meant to make the character sound a bit self-conscious & dorky, like a pale imitation of Alan Partridge in IAP onwards.

I always thought the best approximation of 'that voice' is the one Adam Buxton sometimes slips into when he's quoting something tedious or banal... a sort of nasal Johnny Vaughan type thing.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on September 01, 2017, 08:03:00 PM
I always thought the best approximation of 'that voice' is the one Adam Buxton sometimes slips into when he's quoting something tedious or banal... a sort of nasal Johnny Vaughan type thing.

I guess we've proved Utter Shit's point :)

Dex Sawash

It was Pinball

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,52068.msg2741427.html#msg2741427