Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"I'm busy!"

Started by wasp_f15ting, December 20, 2004, 10:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

A couple of weeks back I rang a friend of mine after a long time to retrieve some stuff I'd left with him a while ago, and was confronted by this amazing line that I seem to see a lot of people use with other people, and their own social circle, "ahh, mate I'm well busy these days, I never have any free time." Now I myself have used this pitiful excuse to evade some boring events or confrontations, but I have not done it more than once or twice. (when I wasn't working)

But what makes people say this? I really cannot get my primate brain around people being busy, and wanting some kind of pity for it. Correct me if I am wrong, do we not all create these "busy" lives in the first place?, So in fact people really are not busy as they would like to believe they are just merely self involved cunts who want a further ego boost via a sympathetic "I can't understand you man, your amazing, I wish I could be like you!" when really this being "busy" is a scrambled way of living to avoid being called lazy or idle, but why do many people occupy themselves with pointless "busy" endeavours for the sake of being busy?

So is this being "busy" effect a culmination of ego deficits and poor management skills or just something that I cannot associate with? People in my family life, have always been what most people would consider "busy" I remember my dad, even before he retired pulling in 60hr weeks, my mum still works most of the week with her chartity stuff, I.e. fundraising et al, but even she has free time, and with that she does gardening, speaking with her parents and arranging domestic affairs, this is not some amazing vice she carries, it is just a way of doing things. Yet people with less responsibilities and  work (who I know) moan and groan about doing the simplest thing for someone else, i.e. cleaning their raking their grandma's drive way of leaves or clearing the twigs on the grass.. Why is this ?

In India I never heard anyone say that they were busy, or too busy to do a given task, just that they were doing something else, and would give a definite schedule as to part-take in what you were proposing etc. Which leads me to ask why this fetish for business has arisen.

Why do people feel compelled to do many cursory things which they never take on fully (i.e. dancing lessons, piano lessons, book clubs) then go on to say "man I am overloaded with so many things, I am barely coping" What the fuck? Why fill yourself with tasks that avert your free time, if free time is what you desire??! It just does not make sense to me :(

Is this just me and my group of friends? Or do you know of any people like this? People who carry out pretty widely accepted pointless endeavours in order to be "busy" The worst kind of offender for this is your average student, one person who I shall name Max, is a perfect example, he works 10hrs a week, is in a band, studies and tells me he is busy, and when we do meet, he moans about how busy his life has been.. without self loathing and posturing, I do more "real" work than he does, and manage to finish uni work too, so why do I never moan to him about time? It really confuses me, and I hope someone can shed some light on this strange and annoying behaviour pattern that seems to be prevalent in a lot of people, at least in my social circle :(

Rubella

You're not alone.

My mate Adam is exactly the same.  He always complains of being busy everytime I speak to him or see him AND he's always the one that brings it up.  "Oh mate, I've been running about like a blue arsed fly" and then proceeds to list everything he has done and then everything he has to do in boring chronological order.  I DON'T CARE!!!!  Just saying that he is busy would suffice - I don't want or need a list from him.

I'm also slightly bitter because I am never bloody busy and have far too much time to myself.

Bogey

Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"Why do people feel compelled to do many cursory things which they never take on fully (i.e. dancing lessons, piano lessons, book clubs)

Yup
Grumble grumble...

bresker

Perhaps "busy" is a euphemism for "I've taken your stuff and sold it to Cash Converters to pay the leccy bill"?

Or, more likely, "I don't particularly want to talk to you right now because secretly I think you are a prize cunt, but obviously I cannot tell you this?"

butnut

Quote from: "Bogey"
Quote from: "wasp_f15ting"Why do people feel compelled to do many cursory things which they never take on fully (i.e. dancing lessons, piano lessons, book clubs)

Yup
Grumble grumble...

If anyone feels like bumping that thread, feel free! I think it's safe to start discussing it now.

Tom Rad

Quote from: "Bogey"

Yup
Grumble grumble...

Sorry, I'm so ashamed now, because I'm one of those rubbish people who said they would join the VW book club but then never did... I feel so bad now, because I even got the book - you can see me boasting about it in the thread. But I started reading it and I couldn't really get into it and I never finished it... Thinking about it, that sounds really offensive doesn't it: "Yes, butnut, you may be an award-winning composer, but I think your taste in books sucks!".  Well I'm sure it's actually very very very good and it's just me not putting in the effort that's stopped me enjoying it. But if the rest of you want to discuss the book, feel free. I'll just hide in this corner here, in embarrassment and shame for not having done my homework :(.

butnut

Hey - that's the whole point of that thread. If you didn't like it - great! It's not my book, I don't care. Let's hear why.

Shall we move this over to the other thread, perhaps?