Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Podcasts - Howl was Stitched up

Started by brat-sampson, September 04, 2017, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

Andy Daly was on the last I4H.

Off Book's still great.

Harmontown's aright but not quite the same since they changed venue.

HH wasn't going to end after all!

Look, the last thread got too long so now here we are.

Cope.

Paaaaul

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 04, 2017, 11:07:18 PM
Harmontown's aright but not quite the same since they changed venue.

Last week's Shoes bit was easily in my top 5 favourite Harmontown bits. It goes on a bit long but it really gave me a comedic buzz. Rob Schrab can do some amazing things, but usually misses the target.

robotam

Season 1 of Big Grande Teachers' Lounge is now free

http://www.earwolf.com/show/big-grande-teachers-lounge/

I relistened to it over the weekend. It's great.

Paaaaul

Quote from: robotam on September 18, 2017, 01:56:10 PM
Season 1 of Big Grande Teachers' Lounge is now free

http://www.earwolf.com/show/big-grande-teachers-lounge/

I relistened to it over the weekend. It's great.
There's a new bonus live Teacher's Lounge episode on Howl, in the Live at UCB feed.

Today's Comedy Bang Bang is fucking fantastic.

BeardFaceMan

Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but it seems as if the reason James Adomian stopped doing podcasts is because the vast majority of guests on podcasts don't get paid anything. Which you could say is fair enough if the guest is on a show to promote something, but when you're doing character work like he did and that work earns CBB (for example) money and he gets paid nothing for it, you can see why he stopped doing them.

Paaaaul

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 02, 2017, 01:34:40 PM
Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but it seems as if the reason James Adomian stopped doing podcasts is because the vast majority of guests on podcasts don't get paid anything. Which you could say is fair enough if the guest is on a show to promote something, but when you're doing character work like he did and that work earns CBB (for example) money and he gets paid nothing for it, you can see why he stopped doing them.
He has been on CBB three times in the last year, and he has done 30 Earwolf podcasts in the last 36 months, so it's not true to say that he doesn't do them.
I know he moved to New York a few years ago because he wasn't making a living in LA, so he didn't/couldn't do any LA podcasts during that time.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Paaaaul on October 02, 2017, 03:17:26 PM
He has been on CBB three times in the last year, and he has done 30 Earwolf podcasts in the last 36 months, so it's not true to say that he doesn't do them.
I know he moved to New York a few years ago because he wasn't making a living in LA, so he didn't/couldn't do any LA podcasts during that time.

Ah ok, I was mostly going off this https://mobile.twitter.com/JAdomian/status/914297730419195904, he did seem to pop up on CBB pretty regularly and then abruptly stop, maybe they've come to some sort of agreement now.

When it comes to comedians I can understand them not getting paid when they all appear on each others podcats, but its interesting to note that most guests on most podcasts get paid nothing, all while adverts play before, after and during the podcats so someone is earning a lot of money somewhere but its not the people helping create the content.

Edit - out of interest, did he do those appearances as himself or doing a character?

Paaaaul

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 02, 2017, 04:15:46 PM
Ah ok, I was mostly going off this https://mobile.twitter.com/JAdomian/status/914297730419195904, he did seem to pop up on CBB pretty regularly and then abruptly stop, maybe they've come to some sort of agreement now.

When it comes to comedians I can understand them not getting paid when they all appear on each others podcats, but its interesting to note that most guests on most podcasts get paid nothing, all while adverts play before, after and during the podcats so someone is earning a lot of money somewhere but its not the people helping create the content.

Edit - out of interest, did he do those appearances as himself or doing a character?
Of the thirty shows he's done on Earwolf in the last three years, other than an episode of Who Charted? and an Improv4Humans (in which he played characters,but not HIS characters), I think he's played characters on all of them. Some would've been to promote his Bernie/Trump show, but mostly they weren't.

edit: It's worth pointing out that Earwolf produced a TV pilot for Adomian a few years ago, and he's done a bunch of live shows that he would have been paid for.

Mobius

Quote from: Paaaaul on October 02, 2017, 10:52:57 AM

So great to see Scott's father return after such a long absence

brat-sampson

*Stepfather, and you'd be out of action too if you had ursine dementia *and* youtuberculosis*. Still, hard to believe it's been that long, last appearance was 258 apparently.

*Amongst others.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Paaaaul on October 02, 2017, 04:34:42 PM
Of the thirty shows he's done on Earwolf in the last three years, other than an episode of Who Charted? and an Improv4Humans (in which he played characters,but not HIS characters), I think he's played characters on all of them. Some would've been to promote his Bernie/Trump show, but mostly they weren't.

edit: It's worth pointing out that Earwolf produced a TV pilot for Adomian a few years ago, and he's done a bunch of live shows that he would have been paid for.

Oh I wasn't singling out CBB or Earwolf in particular, just using them as example as it was a show he used to appear on a lot.

Well the live shows are different, there's generally a paying audience so you'd expect them to get paid for that, it's when you replace the audience with adverts so you still have a regular income and stop paying people that it gets a bit murky.

Paaaaul

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 03, 2017, 07:29:51 AM
Oh I wasn't singling out CBB or Earwolf in particular, just using them as example as it was a show he used to appear on a lot.

Well the live shows are different, there's generally a paying audience so you'd expect them to get paid for that, it's when you replace the audience with adverts so you still have a regular income and stop paying people that it gets a bit murky.
Yeah, I totally get it. I just focused on Earwolf because it was easy to find all his guest appearances on their website.

non capisco

Quote from: Paaaaul on October 02, 2017, 10:52:57 AM

Best episode in ages. I loved Kroll and Mantzoukas' clear and audible delight as Bob Ducca was going through his lists.

brat-sampson

I wish I could say this was the year Leo Karpatze jumped the shark, but somehow...

It wasn't.

Paaaaul

Quote from: brat-sampson on October 24, 2017, 08:35:46 AM
I wish I could say this was the year Leo Karpatze jumped the shark, but somehow...

It wasn't.
For an annual episode that never surprises; this one surprised me.

Sebastian Cobb

I gave the pilot of Danielle Ward/Ed Morish's podcast Any Stupid Questions a go last night.

Essentially they get an expert in and a couple of comedians grill them about their subject. The first was about the NHS so it was quite informative. It seemed to lack the dynamic between Legge and Margaret Cabourn-Smith though.

non capisco

Quote from: brat-sampson on October 24, 2017, 08:35:46 AM

It wasn't.

This annual gag is pretty shark jump proof, I'd say. "Igor decided to fuck his own dad!" cracks me up every year. I think it's the word 'decided'. Plus this year Nick Wiger corpsed* on the first line which made it even better.

*spooooooky!

futilitarian

has anything changed at Earwolf lately?

I've had to switch feed readers because of FireFox bullshit, and now I'm struggling to get shit downloaded from the earwolf catalog ... it's coming from rss.art19.com for some reason, and I'm basically getting 5xdial-up speeds (like, it would take an hour to get an episode...)

brat-sampson

Zooks and Daly on CBB this week, for those who don't often check it out.

phantom_power

I am slightly daunted about dipping into CBB again as I am worried I will be missing loads of running and in-jokes. Is that an unfounded fear?

EOLAN

There are a couple of mild running gags; but don't think they are that big or pinnacle and shouldn't take away much from enjoyment. Usually joke is centred around how the guest wouldn't be aware of the running gag so it is easy to follow. The main one these days is that it is a podcast where they talk to interesting people.

For certain guests/episodes such as the Daly/Mantzoukas one I am guessing (not listened new episode yet); they may delve into the back history of the character.

Paaaaul

The running gags tend to run between episodes with the same guests on, rather than through the whole back catalogue.
A few guests, like PFT or Mantzoukas, who actually listen to the show, will occasionally reference other episodes, but on the whole CBB tends to be a bunch of parallel stories these days rather than the amazing mish-mash it was in the early days when well-built Kroll, PFT and Morris characters could appear together, and the same characters could appear again within the month, but meeting other guests.

Paaaaul

Andy Daly today - 50% Scottish, 50% Irish, 50% Scouse, 50% Indian

Crabwalk

Quote from: Paaaaul on November 06, 2017, 11:01:11 AM
Andy Daly today - 50% Scottish, 50% Irish, 50% Scouse, 50% Indian

The best bit was how confident he seemed to be in his pronunciation of 'courtyard'.

petercussing

phantom_power

Enjoying the latest one. I have seen mention of the Hey Nyongman thing or whatever it is but have no idea what it means so those references passed my by but apart from that there was little in the way of back-references. I love a bit of Andy Daly as well. He was responsible for one of the best CBB bits when I listened regularly with the culmination of his suicidal characters

Paaaaul

For Howl-ers:
The Teacher's Lounge becoming a weekly show is the best thing that has happened in podcasting this year. Nothing else comes close to making me laugh as much, and the increase in output seems to have actually made it better. The latest episode featuring the school pet rep was probably the funniest one yet.

Crabwalk

Thursday

*sigh* All I want is an episode of Comedy Bang Bang with Chief but no Bone Queef. I've laughed at equally juvenile things on the show, so I wish I could understand how it manages to be so
transcendentally unfunny.

The Roofdog

Was looking forward to the new Lapkus & Gabrus podcast but nah, this is only going to be interesting if you're an American born in the 1980s. And maybe not even then.