Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Podcasts - Howl was Stitched up

Started by brat-sampson, September 04, 2017, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

kittens

hello anyone listened to the new patreon show from the hollywood handbook boys? it seems to be quite heavily about basketball. i don't wanna pay a fiver to listen to 2 of the funniest people being boring and not funny about basketball. is it any good or what

hedgehog90

Quote from: Neomod on September 21, 2018, 05:11:50 PM
The raised by TV episode with PFT has led me to this. The inevitable Would I Lie to You/Mr Show crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySvU6FWJkfg

To anyone who's afraid of clicking untitled links, it's a US remake of The Sketch Show, with Paul F. Tompkins, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Lee Mack and Kelsey Grammar.
It's awful in a way that you feel it in your gut. After 10 minutes I was exhausted.
Highly recommended.

kyema

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 05, 2018, 01:19:10 PM
Been listening to Babysitting Trevor recently and it's a proper treat, it's Carl Donnelly and Chris Martin helping Trevor Crook become a more rounded, less odd man.

Thanks for this recommendation. I've been binging them and I think it's now my new favourite.

sprocket

Quote from: kittens on October 18, 2018, 03:45:18 PM
hello anyone listened to the new patreon show from the hollywood handbook boys? it seems to be quite heavily about basketball. i don't wanna pay a fiver to listen to 2 of the funniest people being boring and not funny about basketball. is it any good or what

They've made the second episode available for free.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/21990012

kittens

Quote from: sprocket on October 30, 2018, 09:06:59 AM
They've made the second episode available for free.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/21990012

thank you. it started funny and good, then became very very boring. a shame for me not to listen to a new show by my favourite boys but i can't be spending money on a totally boring podcast about something i don't know or care about.

robotam

I subscribed for the first month but am not going to stick with it. It's annoying because there are lots of good bits but then they will have half an hour where they just list a bunch of names.

Crabwalk

EOLAN

Quote from: Crabwalk on November 01, 2018, 09:09:55 AM
No 'Monster Fuck' this year.

:(

This the most repetitive of routines is always one I am most looking forward to each year. Any chance it is on delay for what seems to be a "Fearwolf" week?

jimboslice

No idea if it's been mentioned, and it's not strictly speaking a comedy podcast, but Fingers on Buzzers with Lucy Porter and Jenny Ryan off of the Chase is a pretty great little podcast about quizzing.

DrGreggles

Tickets on sale now for the Christmas Flat Slam:
https://www.pleasance.co.uk/event/pappys-festive-flatshare-slamdown#overview

I was at the recording a couple of years ago it's always brilliant fun.

remedial_gash

Quote from: EOLAN on November 01, 2018, 09:20:21 AM
This the most repetitive of routines is always one I am most looking forward to each year. Any chance it is on delay for what seems to be a "Fearwolf" week?

Nearly posted this, also nearly tweeted Wiger. I guess they 'nearly did it'... maybe monday?

sprocket

Chef Kevin opened for the Hollywood Handbook live show in Portland (featuring a guest appearance from Earwolf's number one good boy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZJfbX9Y

Dusty Substance

In an ever-rising ocean of podcasts it's becoming more and more difficult to find the good ones, or at least the ones that work for me. I hoped the recent World Cup Of Comedy Podcasts would inspire throw up some new ones I'd not heard but everyone played it safe and only voted for popular ones.

Based on the following, can anyone recommend some new or old podcasts?

I love:

The Best  Show
R U Talkin' U2 2 Me/R U Talking R.E.M re: Me?/James Bonding (I kind of like hearing people talk about things they love but can also point out how ridiculous those things can often be)
Analyze Phish (R.I.P Harris)
Gelmania (fucking amazing and much missed)
The Parapod (and all the Ray Peacock stuff. I'm signed up to Ian Boldsworth's Patreon)
Thomas And Way (nearly four years since the last one and yet I still hope for another to appear one day - see also Precious Little podcast but that's been eight years and the co-hosts apparently don't talk to each other any more)
Vitriola Music (after Robin Ince's departure from social media, we probably won't get another one of these)
Chart Music (not a comedy podcast but it's "fucking mint")
Norm MacDonald (video podcast, but works as audio)

I like:

Comedy Bang Bang (always make a point of the four part, end of year Best Ofs, but the weekly episodes range from amazing to OK)
Brian Gittins (only listened to about a third of them but I'm saving the rest)
RHLSTP/WTF/The Comedian's Comedian (used to listen to all of them on a weekly basis but life gets in the way/varying degree of quality guests etc)
Russell Brand (but only when Matty Morgs is present)

I can't stand:

No Such Thing As A Fish / Answer Me This (I'm sure they're nice people, but the smugness is overbearing)
Sofie Hagen  (I'm sure she's a terrible person and the smugness is overbearing)

Tried but couldn't quite get into:

Hollywood Handbook (willing to give it another try)

I hear good things about:

Athletico Mince (Football's not my thing, Bob Mortimer is brilliant but Andy Dawson's a cunt)
Rule Of Three

Also used to listen to, really liked but get very samey after a while:

Frank Skinner on Absolute / Gregg Proops: The Smartest Man In The World (not listened to either for about four years)

I don't have iTunes but do have Stictcher Premium, but just end up listening to ones I'm already familiar with.

Many thanks

PlasticTom

Based on the ones I like, the main omissions would seem to be Harmontown and Cum Town.

Start at the beginning with Harmontown. That first 20 episodes is a pretty perfect run. The stuff with his girlfriend Erin is great, they start playing D&D (which I have zero interest in when they do it now, but it was good at the start), some good Greg Proops appearances and towards the end of that run there's a great episode where Dan reads his journals from when he was in school, and the one where he starts rapping. They then go on a long tour of the US - there's some great stuff in those. Since then it's still very often great, but maybe never hitting the heights of the first ones

Cum Town is not for everyone, but for me it's one of the most purely funny podcasts out there. You have to be able to laugh at constant casual racism and homophobia. You just do. They probably don't mean it though, and it's fucking funny. If it helps, I like most of the other stuff you like so there's a chance you could love Cum Town.

If you like Herring, it's worth listening to the Collings and Herrin podcasts. They;re not great and Collins really is an unfunny cunt a lot of the time, but there's a certain chemistry there and it might be Herring's most consistently funny bit of his vast output.

Threedom is good if you like CBB. I thought it was a bit smug at first, but they're just such great people to listen to. It's really good.

Uhh Yeah Dude is still going. Still very good, though used to be sublime:

This is maybe the funniest 7 minutes I've ever seen. I've watched it dozens of times:

https://youtu.be/9UoR1dUm9dE

On the more serious end of things, Love + Radio is a good, well-produced and quite dark podcast of people from all walks of life.

Dusty Substance

Thanks, PlasticTom. I'd quite forgotten all about Harmontown. I binged on all of those early ones a few years ago but they ended up getting a bit samey for me. I like Harmon, he's a big old drunken mess with an interesting take on things. Like you, I got tired of the D&D stuff. I think I gave up around the time they were making the documentary film.

I'll definitely give Cum Town a try. As a Derek And Clive fanatic I've probably heard worse casual racism and homophobia!

I listened to Collings And Herrin way back in the day when they first went out so might actually dip into a couple of them, just for the sake of nostalgia.

Bloody loved Threedom, too. Lauren Lapkus is brilliant.

Never heard of Uhh Yeah Dude, so I'll check it out.

Much appreciated!

kittens

listen to superego, starting with season 3. and if you dig that, listen to the complete woman. some amazing stuff in there.

rasta-spouse

I used to love early Comedy Bang Bang...but afraid to dip into it now because of a lot of modern duds.

RU Talking REM doesn't seem to have much madcap riffing that the U2 podcast did so well.

Hollywood Handbook, I don't really understand it...the words or what's happening in it.

Enjoyed early Harmontown. I liked that Russian film student who kept turning up. The D&D makes it a bit of slog and now find it hard to get into the newer ones.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 09, 2019, 11:29:14 AM
RU Talking REM doesn't seem to have much madcap riffing that the U2 podcast did so well.

Wait, is this an episode of Madcap Riffing?

Dusty Substance

Having binged on five episodes of Rule Of Three in the last 24 hours, I will add Rule Of Three to the list of "I like". An absolute joy to listen to.

ads82

I've only listened to a few episodes but I'm absolutely loving Punch Up The Jam. Miel Bredouw and Demi Adejuyigbe (writer on The Good Place) attempt to improve popular songs by adding their own spin to "improve" them. I started with the Sk8er Boi episode and was amazed at how good their version was, it was hilarious and beautifully put together.

Ron Superior

Quick bump to ask. If anyone heard the Christmas album episode of Hollywood Handbook (which was incredible), they did an as saying they didn't have an advertiser, and people should subscribe to Stitcher Premium with their code or the show would be finished. Obviously they joke about things like this all the time, but do you think it was serious?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ron Superior on December 30, 2019, 03:42:16 PM
Quick bump to ask. If anyone heard the Christmas album episode of Hollywood Handbook (which was incredible), they did an as saying they didn't have an advertiser, and people should subscribe to Stitcher Premium with their code or the show would be finished. Obviously they joke about things like this all the time, but do you think it was serious?
I wonder about this. If you've already got the equipment, then the ongoing costs of producing a podcast are zero; if you're doing it to make a living, then sure, get ads or Stitcher Premium or a Patreon or whatever. Are the days of people doing podcasts as a hobby, or to promote their full-time paying work in other areas (standup or whatever) over?

chveik

Ron Superior

I know that Who Charted lost a load of listeners over time and they moved it to Stitcher Premium earlier this year to avoid having to cancel it altogether.

Scott Aukerman has definitely tried to push the show a fair few times to up the listener count.

Hope I don't have to start paying for Stitcher Premium, because I would for The Boys.

mjwilson

Aren't bandwidth costs a reasonable amount?

yesitsme

Ever listen to the Irrationally Exuberant?  It's an acquired taste but quite mesmerising at times.

kyema

Ever listen to the Irrationally Exuberant?  It's an acquired taste but quite mesmerising at times.
Downloading it now.

Any chance of resurrecting this thread? My pool of comedy podcasts is dwindling.

jofo

Quote from: ads82 on April 10, 2019, 06:56:03 PM
I've only listened to a few episodes but I'm absolutely loving Punch Up The Jam. Miel Bredouw and Demi Adejuyigbe (writer on The Good Place) attempt to improve popular songs by adding their own spin to "improve" them. I started with the Sk8er Boi episode and was amazed at how good their version was, it was hilarious and beautifully put together.

immediately bailed once Demi was not involed, Have I missed anything? Miel was kind of annoying.

Also Dusty Substance, little Matty Morgans has his own Podcast that came out on Monday, which is good, it's called Funny How? if you were unaware.