Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:25:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Podcasts - Howl was Stitched up

Started by brat-sampson, September 04, 2017, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

Dunno where it'll be.
He announced it on today's improv 4 humans.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Paaaaul on January 11, 2018, 07:37:53 PM
Andy Daly's Podcast Pilot Podcast Project is back! This year!

:O :O :O

YES!!!!

Crabwalk

^ and one of his best characters returns to CBB this week! He makes what he does seem so effortlessly hilarious* that i wouldn't want to appear alongside him unless I was an A-grade improviser.

*unless he's doing a Scottish accent, in which case you can quite clearly hear the effort

Paaaaul

I haven't listened yet, but Andy Daly was also on last week's Womp It Up, along with J-Dog Mantzoukas, Brian Huskey, Danielle Schneider and Seth Morris.

Neomod

Anyone else who subscribes to stitcher having a problem with podcasts disappearing? Mine have all failed to connect today on podkicker and the unofficial RSS Stitcher feeds page is down.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Neomod on February 20, 2018, 01:17:33 PM
Anyone else who subscribes to stitcher having a problem with podcasts disappearing? Mine have all failed to connect today on podkicker and the unofficial RSS Stitcher feeds page is down.

Yep. I'm still on Howl but I've had the same problem today.

robotam

Off Book is a podcast I'm rarely in the mood for, but the Doughboys were good fun on this week's episode.

Also, new ep of U talkin' is up.

brat-sampson

Quote from: robotam on February 21, 2018, 09:24:55 AM
Off Book is a podcast I'm rarely in the mood for, but the Doughboys were good fun on this week's episode.

Also, new ep of U talkin' R U Talkin' R.E.M. Re: Me? is up.

minor correction.

Paaaaul

Quote from: robotam on February 21, 2018, 09:24:55 AM

The last podcast I listened to them on was the Wild Horses thing on Howl, and I think that'll probably be the last thing I listen to that has Mike Mitchell on.
He is a humour vacuum. He mistakes openness and honesty for jokes.
I'm happy to listen to Wiger doing The Monster Fuck on CBB every year forever though.

For anyone that hasn't noticed, Harris Wittels's sister is on both CBB and Who Charted? this week. Worth a listen if you're a fan of his.

ieXush2i

What? I've not listened to comedy podcasts for a few months due to a different living situation but I won't stand for Mike Mitchell dissing. He's a solid gold performer, whether with The Birthday Boys or appearing on stuff like Brooklyn Nine Nine. You bastard!

Seriously thanks for the heads up about WIttels' sister, I think I'll check those out.

phantom_power

Scott and Scott have started their REM podcast. I haven't heard the Chronic Town one yet but I am looking forward to it

Paaaaul

Quote from: phantom_power on February 21, 2018, 12:58:43 PM
Scott and Scott have started their REM podcast. I haven't heard the Chronic Town one yet but I am looking forward to it

It's the same as the U2 one. And they still talk about U2 a lot. But I'll persist because I actually like REM.
They start talking about Chronic Town about 100 minutes in, if you're interested.

The Roofdog

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 21, 2018, 12:55:52 PM
What? I've not listened to comedy podcasts for a few months due to a different living situation but I won't stand for Mike Mitchell dissing. He's a solid gold performer, whether with The Birthday Boys or appearing on stuff like Brooklyn Nine Nine. You bastard!

I like him too. The relationship between him and Wiger is great on Doughboys (though I admit I haven't heard anything he's been on by himself).

Quote from: Paaaaul on February 21, 2018, 01:11:35 PM
They start talking about Chronic Town about 100 minutes in

THEDGE

Neomod

Yeah, I like Doughboys too. Mitch does come across as a bit of a thicko though, a lovable lug if you will. I don't think it's an act.

What the fuck.

phantom_power

Quote from: Paaaaul on February 21, 2018, 01:11:35 PM
It's the same as the U2 one. And they still talk about U2 a lot. But I'll persist because I actually like REM.
They start talking about Chronic Town about 100 minutes in, if you're interested.

I have no interest in U2 but loved their podcast on them. I love REM so it should be a corker. I am up to them going into an episode of U Talkin U2 2 Me and it is great. I never tire of their various shticks (Hold on, is this an episode of "I Love Their Various Shticks"?)

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: phantom_power on February 22, 2018, 11:16:28 AM
I have no interest in U2 but loved their podcast on them. I love REM so it should be a corker. I am up to them going into an episode of U Talkin U2 2 Me and it is great. I never tire of their various shticks (Hold on, is this an episode of "I Love Their Various Shticks"?)

I like both REM and U2 and like U Talkin' U2 2 Me? more than either. While I would, and will, gladly listen to another however many in the same style, both the two U2 specials last year and this first REM episode felt a little strained to me, as if they know they have to go on tangents because it's what people expect/like. I hope they regain past form when they start going through the R.E.M. albums proper, but I can't imagine giving up if they don't.

phantom_power

I love Adam's fanboy excitement and Scott's skewering of that excitement

Thewaddler

I enjoyed the REM more than any of the U2 ones after they met the band. I hope they do go more regularly as I feel like they need more episodes to get in the flow.

While, I'm on a down swing with Comedy Bang Bang and am not going to bother unless they have guests or improvisers I like, Hollywood Handbook is by a country mile my favourite podcast at the moment. The boys are churning out hit after hit after hit. So long as you've listened to about 15 episodes first, of course.

brat-sampson

It's true, the existence of HH Pro Version is making me want Stitcher Premium more than I ever have before (i.e. a non-0 amount).

Neomod

Quote from: brat-sampson on February 26, 2018, 11:06:27 AM
It's true, the existence of HH Pro Version is making me want Stitcher Premium more than I ever have before (i.e. a non-0 amount).

What's the difference between the two or can I just subscribe to pro and get everything?

edit. Just checked and they look like bonus eps.

brat-sampson

They're basically making two shows a week now, HH for all listerners and HH Pro which is only available on Stitcher Premium. The last HHpro was 'R U Talking R.E.M Are E Me', where the boys were sneaky and sneakily snuck out an REM 'cast before Scott could.

EDIT: Yeah, Bonus eps essentially.

Paaaaul

I've found the HH Premium eps to be hugely disappointing so far.
Half-arsed premises, and when they are desperately padding to get episodes up to an acceptable length for Stitcher, you can tell their hearts aren't in it. They've constantly pissed off their sponsors, so it appears that this is their lazy attempt to try to make some money.

There is a load of excellent stuff on Stitcher Premium to make it worth a few quid a month (The Teacher's Lounge, The Seth Morris Radio Project, The Complete Woman/Joy/Wedding/Man, Superego, Bill Hicks...) but I wouldn't lump the HH shows in with them yet.

kittens

i think the pro version has been great so far. it's the stuff that made me fall in love with the boys in the first place, just them mucking around without a guest.

robotam

The Hollywood Handbook REM podcast was much funnier than the Scott and Scott one.

alan nagsworth

Just wanna chuck my hat in the ring here and say that Teacher's Lounge is fucking excellent. Insanely prolific gag rate, just rolls on perfectly from one bit to the next. If it weren't for the infectious off-mic giggling running under so much of it, you'd be forgiven for thinking it wasn't improvised. The first episode of the second season where they make Paul F. Tompkins' character eat all that food covered in green paint had me in hysterics.

veletision

Quote from: robotam on February 26, 2018, 07:15:22 PM
The Hollywood Handbook REM podcast was much funnier than the Scott and Scott one.

phantom_power

I listened to the first few Hollywood Handbooks and never really warmed to it. It seemed pretty one-note and lazy to me. Did it improve or is it just not my thing?

kittens

it took me a few episodes, sure. the show is very different now from how it started so the start might not be the best place to start. dunno where you should start though

rasta-spouse

I've listened to quite a bit of of HH. Normally there's a point where a podcast format just clicks with you. I still don't really get it... I have enjoyed the odd bit but on the whole it seems like super-sarcastic, super-ironic waffle that's at a frequency I'm just not on, Kenneth.

phantom_power

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 28, 2018, 10:23:01 AM
I've listened to quite a bit of of HH. Normally there's a point where a podcast format just clicks with you. I still don't really get it... I have enjoyed the odd bit but on the whole it seems like super-sarcastic, super-ironic waffle that's at a frequency I'm just not on, Kenneth.

Yeah I think I might be the same