Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Podcasts - Howl was Stitched up

Started by brat-sampson, September 04, 2017, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

Quote from: Paaaaul on January 11, 2018, 07:37:53 PM
Andy Daly's Podcast Pilot Podcast Project is back! This year!

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-season-2-teaser-episode/

Season 2 Teaser has appeared on the regular feed but it'll be Stitcher Premium from 8th March.

brat-sampson

Hnnnggg.

Is there any way to get Stircher Premium podcasts to work on normal podcast apps? I use Doggcatcher.

Penfold

Quote from: Penfold on March 01, 2018, 06:51:27 PM
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-season-2-teaser-episode/

Season 2 Teaser has appeared on the regular feed but it'll be Stitcher Premium from 8th March.

According to the Teaser ep the episodes will become free after 6 months (September).

Ja'moke

Can anyone help me with Stitcher Premium?

I've been working my way through Comedy Bang Bang, just using the old regular iPhone podcasts. I always let episodes build up once I've caught up, so that I have a lot to binge, but I've only just realised that a bunch of episodes seem to have disappeared behind a paywall. I've tried to sign up to the Stitcher Premium for a free month trial, but it won't accept any Promo Code I put in??

EDIT: Nevermind, signed up on Howl instead.

Penfold

There's a big paywall cutoff coming at the end of the month.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/an-important-earwolf-announcement/

Not sure what shows this covers as a lot already do the 6 month paywall thing. Hollywood Handbook is the only show I subscribe to that still has the full archive for free so that could be going. Looking at the Stitcher Premium feed it looks like they remove the ads which is a shame.

brat-sampson

Surely they could remove that feature for HH if they wanted to. I mean, they must know, right? That's some solid 'tent right there.

(Also this week's only has bloody Peter Serafinowicz!)

Penfold

It looks like a recent thing, the Scharpling and Claudia O'Doherty runtimes are listed on the Stitcher Premium feed as being 15 minutes shorter but the ones before that are the same. I can't compare today's ep as the Stitcher version hasn't appeared yet.

I wonder if Scharpling helped set up the episode today, Griffin Newman was on The Best Show a month ago saying he'd love to do HH, nice that Serafinowicz was there too.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Penfold on March 06, 2018, 11:20:56 PM
There's a big paywall cutoff coming at the end of the month.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/an-important-earwolf-announcement/

Not sure what shows this covers as a lot already do the 6 month paywall thing. Hollywood Handbook is the only show I subscribe to that still has the full archive for free so that could be going. Looking at the Stitcher Premium feed it looks like they remove the ads which is a shame.

I've not been following this saga, but is Earwolf being forced to do this by Stitcher?
I appreciate the honesty, but why encourage a mass download session of your favourites if you want to make the most of the deal?

Penfold

I don't think they are being forced into it, Stitcher is owned by Midroll which is Earwolf which is owned by Scripps. I think Howl was being set up by Earwolf before they were bought by Scripps so they were going the premium content route before they ended up buying Stitcher as well so combined them.

When they first brought in the paywall for shows like CBB and How Did This Get Made? a lot of people were annoyed, even some hosts. They had been saying for a while it would be happening but then one day it was implemented. This time they are giving everyone notice so they can download what they want to keep and hope that they will get a Premium subscription in the future.

I find the main selling point of Stitcher Premium to be the new content like HH Pro Version, Teacher's Lounge & Andy Daly PPP which is why I currently have a free trial and will probably pay for it when it expires. Archives are also good, yesterday I downloaded all the previous Claudia O'Doherty CBB appearances.

I haven't listened to many of the comedy albums on there except for Andy Daly's Nine Sweaters. This should probably be it's own thread but does anyone use Premium and have any recommendations? I tried to find a list but no luck.

Thewaddler

Quote from: Penfold on March 07, 2018, 02:10:07 PM
I don't think they are being forced into it, Stitcher is owned by Midroll which is Earwolf which is owned by Scripps. I think Howl was being set up by Earwolf before they were bought by Scripps so they were going the premium content route before they ended up buying Stitcher as well so combined them.

When they first brought in the paywall for shows like CBB and How Did This Get Made? a lot of people were annoyed, even some hosts. They had been saying for a while it would be happening but then one day it was implemented. This time they are giving everyone notice so they can download what they want to keep and hope that they will get a Premium subscription in the future.

I find the main selling point of Stitcher Premium to be the new content like HH Pro Version, Teacher's Lounge & Andy Daly PPP which is why I currently have a free trial and will probably pay for it when it expires. Archives are also good, yesterday I downloaded all the previous Claudia O'Doherty CBB appearances.

I haven't listened to many of the comedy albums on there except for Andy Daly's Nine Sweaters. This should probably be it's own thread but does anyone use Premium and have any recommendations? I tried to find a list but no luck.

A while back I glanced through them and quite enjoyed (I think) Hari Kondabolou, Hampton Yount and particularly Mark Normand but they are all also on Spotify which is just so much easier to use.

Paaaaul

I listened to about 50 albums on Howl over a week or so last year, and the overwhelming majority of them are terrible.
Dan Mintz's The Stranger is an amazing album, and the only one that surprised me in a good way.
Jonah Ray's two "albums" (I think they're about 30 minutes long between them) are the absolute nadir of recorded comedy, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Edit: I've just listened to the new Andy Pilot's Daily Podcast Protect, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 08, 2018, 12:34:05 PM
Jonah Ray's two "albums" (I think they're about 30 minutes long between them) are the absolute nadir of recorded comedy, if you're interested in that sort of thing.
I was about to write "that almost makes me want to listen to them now" but no, there's nothing that would make me voluntarily want to do that.

Paaaaul

I'm listening to a podcast that has a Mr Paul F Tompkins on it.
It is the sixth Earwolf/Howl podcast released this week that I've heard him on.
Busy man.
Catch 'em all.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 08, 2018, 12:56:41 PM
I was about to write "that almost makes me want to listen to them now" but no, there's nothing that would make me voluntarily want to do that.
There is a certain pleasure seeing how he follows the template of 'how to do comedy', but without actually writing a single joke.

BeardFaceMan

Is all of the new season of Andy Dalys PPP out or is it one new ep a week?

Penfold

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 08, 2018, 09:02:46 PM
Is all of the new season of Andy Dalys PPP out or is it one new ep a week?

One a week. Dalton Wilcox today.

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 08, 2018, 12:34:05 PM
I listened to about 50 albums on Howl over a week or so last year, and the overwhelming majority of them are terrible.
Dan Mintz's The Stranger is an amazing album, and the only one that surprised me in a good way.

Edit: I've just listened to the new Andy Pilot's Daily Podcast Protect, and it's absolutely brilliant.

I'll give Mintz a listen, I like Bob's Burgers and I'm always surprised by how many stand up albums I have not heard, I think podcasts have filled that area for me.

Jonah Ray can do one.

brat-sampson

AD'sPPP is gold already. I'm in my free trial but can see myself signing up for a month to complete the run. It's not like I need anything more to listen to but man, I just love this stuff.

brat-sampson

Ugh, this Stitcher RSS feed is a bit of a mess, it keeps deleting episodes and trying to redownload them when I join new networks :/

kittens

yes stitcher fucking sucks even worse than howl. i just want a good podcast app that can also get the preemo content but that is IMPOSSIBLE for the science men behind the scenes to get their heads around

Neomod

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 09, 2018, 05:16:42 PM
Ugh, this Stitcher RSS feed is a bit of a mess, it keeps deleting episodes and trying to redownload them when I join new networks :/

The unofficial one? I've only had one problem with it recently where it disappeared. Refreshing podkicker sorted it out.

Paaaaul

I had trouble with the Howl feeds all week, until they seemed to sort themselves out yesterday morning.

BritishHobo

Started up with The Worst Idea of All Time again, having only got fifteen episodes into season 2 while it was being released. Just finished the PFT episode and it's making me want to go listen to all of Spontanaetion and catch up on the two or three years of Comedy Bang Bang I'm behind on. This is on top of having five weeks of Ian Boldsworth and about forty of Russell Brand to catch up on. THERE ARE TOO MANY PODCASTS.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Neomod on March 10, 2018, 03:04:00 PM
The unofficial one? I've only had one problem with it recently where it disappeared. Refreshing podkicker sorted it out.

Yeah, as linked above. Maybe it's normally good but it was annoying the shit out of me on Friday afternoon. It was fine before that though and has been ok today, so may have been a blip, but any blip occurring on the second day you use some software is going to make you wonder if perhaps it's kinda shit.

Paaaaul

WOMP It Up! has been sporadic since it started 3 years ago with long fallow periods, and has always been too tied up in being true to the characters' canons, constricting the possibility of jokes.
It came back as a weekly show in January and it has been getting better and better since.  They've loosened the choke-hold of their history, to the extent that the characters have evolved to being basically St. Clair and Parham with different names.
If you've dismissed it in the past, you should consider jumping on again now.

Paaaaul

Andy Daly's veiled apology for the Scottish accents at the start of today's AD'sPPP cannot prepare you for the horrors that are held within.

brat-sampson

I just hope it's a match for the live festival of Irish Brogues that rounded off the last series.

Paaaaul

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 29, 2018, 09:21:22 AM
I just hope it's a match for the live festival of Irish Brogues that rounded off the last series.
This one builds and builds. When Mary Holland appears, you'll want a stiff dram.

EOLAN

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 29, 2018, 09:21:22 AM

I probably said it 20 times here before; but for me Scott was getting riled for his accent but his was the most genuine for me - cos I feel I could localise it. Everyone else seemed to be doing a generic American film style Irish accent.
The one problem possibly with Scot's is it sounded too northern Protestant for a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernia. Anyway fun Gaelic accents; sounds right up my street.

DrGreggles