Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic Bisto

I like Jenny too, but she didn't half look like Jerry Sadowitz in that photo on the CM Facebook page.

The Jakki-Jenny-NKOTB bantz was fucking painful to listen to, though. I started having anxiety sweats when I heard it.

buzby

The Ben Liebrand remix of Eve Of The War is credited to Jeff Wayne in the Official UK Charts database.  Simon Price needs to regard Discogs with the same scepticism as Wikipedia - it's mostlyuser contributions, and not totally accurate (see the difficulty Kris Weston has had trying to get the details of entries for his own records corrected).

In the case of The Eve Of The War, the German 12" release is the 'master' on Discogs, and is credited to Ben Liebrand, but the entry for the UK 12" release is correctly credited to Jeff Wayne and Ben Liebrand - Wayne for the A-side, and Liebrand for the B-side 'Mankind Strikes Back' (the old cover/remix tactic of putting your own track on the B side to get some royalties).

It's also definitely a remix rather than the cover version as it uses the orchestral and Richard Burton dialogue tracks from the original recording. The remix was also included on the 2000 reissue of the War Of The Worlds album.

DrGreggles

@ChartMusicTOTP

Be warned: we're editing Chart Music #31, and we've talked about one particular video for THIRTY FIVE MINUTES.

(due early next week)

Dr Rock

I'm listening to an old one right now. Rightfully raving about Frankie's Two Tribes and somewhat unfairly coating down Blancmange's cover of The Day Before You Came.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on September 03, 2018, 09:58:35 PM
The Ben Liebrand remix of Eve Of The War is credited to Jeff Wayne in the Official UK Charts database.  Simon Price needs to regard Discogs with the same scepticism as Wikipedia - it's mostlyuser contributions, and not totally accurate (see the difficulty Kris Weston has had trying to get the details of entries for his own records corrected).

Some of the most unpleasant and petty minded Herberts I've ever come across were at Discogs.

Unsurprisingly.

Al's said on Patreon the new ep drops tomorrow.

dr beat

Excellent, Simon Price and 1983 - might there be some more from the Simon Says column?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm having a rotten day, so three hours + in the company of these fine gents will be a much-needed balm. Thank you, Chart Music.

dr beat

That 'Rockit' video also scared the bejesus out of me as a kid.  Grew to love the tune though.

Unless I picked him up wrong, did Taylor say that The Jam's cover of David Watts by The Kinks omits the lyric, "He is so gay and fancy free"? Because it doesn't.

Either way, I hope his homophobic classmate eventually discovered - as Taylor pointed out - that David Watts has a consciously homoerotic subtext which isn't  condemnatory in the slightest. Ray Davies certainly wasn't "taking the piss out of poofters" when he wrote it, and neither were The Jam when they decided to cover it.

DrGreggles

Good God. Completely lost it at the end there!

non capisco

Another highly enjoyable three plus hours. I was particularly tickled by Taylor imagining that if you break a law on The Isle Of Man that three legged thing from their flag comes out of the woods and starts kicking you.

Also I really hope it's true that the only time the full uncut earlobe-caressing maximum homoerotic version of the 'Long Hot Summer' video was shown was on Timmy Mallett's show. What a great bit of absolutely useless UK pop trivia.

Their sincere praise of Gold by Spandau Ballet was another example of why this podcast is so great. They weren't being contrary, there was no "Aaaaah! Didn't expect us to say that, did you?!" wankery, it was just an honest appraisal of a good, well-crafted pop song.

I'm so sick and tired of of lazy, binary, knee-jerk pop culture opinions and received wisdom, hence why it's so refreshing to listen to this witty, eloquent bunch saying (paraphrasing, obviously): "Spandau Ballet were crap and risible in many ways, but they also did some good stuff, and here's why..."

Epic Bisto

Indeed it was a cracker. Going purely by the little snippets and the description of the performance, the number 1 is desolation central isn't it? Glad to hear Level 42 getting a thumbs up too because they were putting out some belters around this time. Hearing the ending on headphones caused tears and hysterical laughter followed by a punch on the arm from the wife to "stop being so fucking annoying."

It would be fascinating to hear them cover one of the 81-82 episodes that had the mini Jonathan King featurettes plonked in the middle of them. I went through a period of asking my nan to tape all the TOTP repeats from UK Gold when she first got cable, and the first ep I had included Dollar's "Hand Held In Black & White" (an absolute cracker), an audience member pulling a Joey face behind Peter Powell and the Vile Pervert himself causing the episode to skid to a standstill while he gassed on about nothing and sweated in a bullfighter's arena. They need another crack at Comrade Shakey too.

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 25, 2018, 08:55:25 PM
I'm so sick and tired of of lazy, binary, knee-jerk pop culture opinions and received wisdom, hence why it's so refreshing to listen to this witty, eloquent bunch saying (paraphrasing, obviously): "Spandau Ballet were crap and risible in many ways, but they also did some good stuff, and here's why..."

I think what often makes the analysis particularly strong is that Taylor Parkes and Neil Kulkarni are themselves musicians in addition to being very perceptive cultural critics.  I've learnt a lot listening to them.

yesitsme

Quote from: yesitsme on September 03, 2018, 10:11:24 AM
Oh Bummerdog you national treasure...

The Bummberdog song had me in stitches and I don't laugh at anything.  In my mind he's like Roobarb, if I knew how to do it I'd run the opening credit to Roobarb but with the word Bummerdog.

Do Bummerdogs still roam?  Can't recall the last time I saw some terrified child being accosted by one of these creatures.

Proudest day of my life.

Neomod

Taylor's description of 'Downtown' Julie Brown's outfit as Victorian sex doll created from toffee wrappers had me guffawing.

It's also nice to see that they are now less afraid to disagree vehemently with each other as they were earlier on in the run. It usually being either Sarah or Simon with Parkesy.

Brundle-Fly

I'm impressed some of you are able to listen to these epics in one sitting virtually on the day it comes out. Takes me about two to three days to get through it all on my little constitutions.  I like to savour them.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 25, 2018, 05:51:31 PM
Unless I picked him up wrong, did Taylor say that The Jam's cover of David Watts by The Kinks omits the lyric, "He is so gay and fancy free"? Because it doesn't.

I just listened, and I think you did pick it up wrong. FWIW.

Yeah, he doesn't say it omits it. He said his friend claimed the line was "He is so fancy and so gay" and that it was negative.

Ah yeah, that's right. My error, not Taylor's.

Neomod

Ahhh, so that's what Mr Parkes looks like. Fits the voice a lot more than Al's did.

Yeah, he looks like he sounds, whereas I never imagined Al as a bald chap with glasses. It's probably just because of the Midlands accent, but I always pictured him as looking a bit like Paddy Considine.

Al Needham

Paddy Considine 

non capisco

"Can we stop talking about Long Hot Summer now, please?"

"We stopped about ten minutes ago, Al!"

Camp Tramp

I met Simon briefly during his club-night a few weeks back, a lovely guy who gave me some tips on good Siousxie & The Banshees songs.
Some of my friends used to be his neighbours, they said they found him quite scary. He isn't at all scary though.