Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 17, 2017, 04:33:02 PM
Should we start a sweep on who the first person to be called a cunt in the next episode will be?

DLT: 1/5

DrGreggles

Depends if David van Day is on it.

phantom_power

Quote from: nedthemumbler on October 17, 2017, 04:28:11 PM
I feel fairly sure they wouldn't deny they are 'cunty music journos', and that episode was fantastic.  Too young really for Melody Maker but still loved their dissection of its heyday and demise.  So many cheap zingers but still big picture analysis in every episode.

I am glad there aren't going to be many episodes from the 90s. They are too close to the music for my liking and you can see their opinion on it all over the internet. I am much more a fan of the more distanced discussions on the 70s and 80s.

phantom_power

Best line for me was Tori Amos being described as Shakin' Bush

kidsick5000

An amazing double tasking episode.
The TOTP commentary and shining light on Life at the 90s music papers.

Hearing about the freelance life in the 90s is very different to the mythic days of the late 70s NME.

Crabwalk

Quote from: phantom_power on October 17, 2017, 05:10:36 PM
I am glad there aren't going to be many episodes from the 90s. They are too close to the music for my liking and you can see their opinion on it all over the internet. I am much more a fan of the more distanced discussions on the 70s and 80s.

Yes, there's definitely more mileage to be had from TOTP's heyday but maybe one in ten or so from the late 80s onwards would be a good ratio to keep things varied. Depends on how many episodes are available. I guess. Who'd've thought that 90s episodes would be rarer than the preceding decades?

phantom_power

Yeah I would agree with that. Maybe get some different people on as well

That Fast Show clip at the end is one of my favourite sketches.

"£3.50 on the door or £3 with concessions, and that is the only concession that Colon will make as compromise is not an option"

"Kick! Out! The! Sun!"

kidsick5000

Quote from: phantom_power on October 18, 2017, 01:49:16 PM
That Fast Show clip at the end is one of my favourite sketches.

"£3.50 on the door or £3 with concessions, and that is the only concession that Colon will make as compromise is not an option"

"Kick! Out! The! Sun!"

I love that sketch because I could really relate to it.  *old man mode* Because it was much harder to hear leftfield and indie music in the 90s, we'd read about acts before hearing them.
And so often, the wild people and sounds written about just didn't materialise aurally.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 18, 2017, 01:49:16 PM
Maybe get some different people on as well

I think that will have to happen. Otherwise this set will exhaust all memories and opinions on the 70s and 80s

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, as much as I enjoy listening to Kulkarni, Parkes, Price and Stubbs, I'd also like to hear from Allan Jones, Simon Reynolds, Chris Roberts, Victoria Segal and Bob Stanley at some point.

Al is on the case, no doubt.

phantom_power

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 18, 2017, 05:32:10 PM
I love that sketch because I could really relate to it.  *old man mode* Because it was much harder to hear leftfield and indie music in the 90s, we'd read about acts before hearing them.
And so often, the wild people and sounds written about just didn't materialise aurally.

I think that will have to happen. Otherwise this set will exhaust all memories and opinions on the 70s and 80s

Yeah there was that ridiculous hyperbole from the music press, almost Top Gearesque in its grunting machismo, and then the end product is some C86-esque trifle

The moment I realised I'd had enough of the NME was when they hyped The Music as visionary psychedelic ruffians on a dangerous mission to blow our minds.

As it transpired, they were so fucking thick and boring in interviews, and their music - the music - sounded like Dee Dee from Limmy's Show shitting in a skip.

phantom_power

They were one of the bands, like Kulashaker, who looked down on the "plebs" living ordinary lives, practically referring to them as ants, which in turn positioned themselves as free spirited troubadours

kidsick5000

Wasn't the end when they tried to find the next Brit Pop.

You could, like the Chart Music guys do, point to marketing realising "thar's gold in that thar indie" and pushing a younger agenda.

But then both papers went overboard in pushing acts that only felt to be of interest to the writers.

No, I'll rephrase. It felt like the writers trying to create interest in an act rather than picking up on groundswell.

The Stokes, The Libertines (who the music press loved far more than the public did) and Tiger (was that their name?).

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 18, 2017, 10:22:59 PM

You could, like the Chart Music guys do, point to marketing realising "thar's gold in that thar indie" and pushing a younger agenda.

But then both papers went overboard in pushing acts that only felt to be of interest to the writers.

No, I'll rephrase. It felt like the writers trying to create interest in an act rather than picking up on groundswell.

The Stokes, The Libertines (who the music press loved far more than the public did) and Tiger (was that their name?).

The Vines were another tipping point. An abominably shite sub-Nirvana act hyped as "THE BEST NEW BAND IN THE WORLD".

At least The Libertines and The Strokes had two or three decent tunes between them.

kidsick5000

Just watching the Blood On The Carpet Radio One episode in the video playlist.

Adrian Juste comes out of it very badly and oddly features far too much.

And far too much stupid stairs footage.

The Roofdog

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 18, 2017, 11:37:55 PM
Just watching the Blood On The Carpet Radio One episode in the video playlist.

Adrian Juste comes out of it very badly and oddly features far too much.

It really draws attention to the fact that he's the only DJ who agreed to be interviewed doesn't it. Proper Les McQueen vibe about him.

daf

jobotic

never heard of him. Don't know how though:

QuoteJuste now provides the voice-over for the online bingo site tombola on its "Bingo 50" game.[citation needed]

kidsick5000

Quote from: jobotic on October 19, 2017, 11:10:35 AM
never heard of him. Don't know how though:

If he'd played his cards right, he could have continued to ply his schtick on Radio 2 or some lesser BBC station.
But without the BBCs ability to play any recording ever and its huge comedy archive, he was lost. Facing the reality that he was just a link man with nothing to link to.

There is something sad - if not heartbreaking - about his desire for everything to stay the same. You see him go into this decrepit bland office building and treat it like some desecrated cathedral, wilfully ignoring that it looks a terrible place to work.

I don't know if there was better way to handle the Radio 1 cull.
With hindsight, it seems more obvious to have created Radio 1.5. Or given that soon after, Radio 2 became edgier, Radio 2.5 and moved Bates, Travis and Juste  en mass. There would have been a built-in audience, the only issue would have been the fight for who'd take the breakfast show.

kidsick5000

Back to the podcast itself...

STOP CLICKING YOUR PEN!!!!

jobotic

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 19, 2017, 04:22:35 PM
If he'd played his cards right, he could have continued to ply his schtick on Radio 2 or some lesser BBC station.
But without the BBCs ability to play any recording ever and its huge comedy archive, he was lost. Facing the reality that he was just a link man with nothing to link to.

There is something sad - if not heartbreaking - about his desire for everything to stay the same. You see him go into this decrepit bland office building and treat it like some desecrated cathedral, wilfully ignoring that it looks a terrible place to work.

I don't know if there was better way to handle the Radio 1 cull.
With hindsight, it seems more obvious to have created Radio 1.5. Or given that soon after, Radio 2 became edgier, Radio 2.5 and moved Bates, Travis and Juste  en mass. There would have been a built-in audience, the only issue would have been the fight for who'd take the breakfast show.

Was Steve Wright one of that crew? He's still spooning out the shite every day on Radio 2.

Blinder Data

kidsick5000

Quote from: jobotic on October 19, 2017, 04:41:05 PM
Was Steve Wright one of that crew? He's still spooning out the shite every day on Radio 2.

He was kept on to tackle the breakfast show but then quit publicly. They don't go into reasons in the documentary, but I remember him on TV saying he was done with the BBC and the new culture there.
He was struggling. An attempt at a Saturday Evening tv show around the same went nowhere. The looseness and freedom of the afternoon show didnt translate to going under the microscope of the breakfast show.

But then, he was back at the Beeb a year later, albeit on Radio 2.
I would not be surprised if the reason he did get to go back and the others didn't is simply down to that he was more tolerable to work with.

Enzo

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 18, 2017, 10:22:59 PM

Gay Dad was surely the nadir for this. Especially considering the singer was one of their journalist mates.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Enzo on October 20, 2017, 12:12:31 AM
Gay Dad was surely the nadir for this. Especially considering the singer was one of their journalist mates.

I feel Gay Dad would have happened anyway, and they certainly weren't fawned over.

It will always be the Libertines for me. One "outrageous" interview and they were all over these chancers like Father Dougal was with Father Liam.

DrGreggles

SteveDave

I liked this latest episode but the main fellow presenting is a dick.

DrGreggles

SteveDave

Can't put my finger on it but his voice rubs me up the wrong way. And his general dismissal of any music made in the 90s because of "Parklife"

Nob. 

Quote from: SteveDave on October 20, 2017, 11:02:33 AM
I liked this latest episode but the main fellow presenting is a dick.

That's a bit harsh, I think Al is a likeable fella, but he does have a vaguely blokey persona that jars with his guests sometimes.

You could hear Price getting slightly annoyed with him in the latest episode, when Al made a comment about Madonna wearing make-up in one of her videos. I got the point that he was making - it's supposed to be footage of Madonna recording a track in the studio, why would she be fully made-up? - but it came across badly. She's making a video, Al, it's not a piece of raw verite footage.

In general, though, he's a nice, funny, genial host.