Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:26:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Halloween in the 70s/early 80s, South-East: I would not have been surprised to see TOTP presenters and audience in costume, because it was a celebration of spooky things - but I never went to any halloween parties, never wore a costume and went trick-or-treating, and I'm pretty sure nobody else I knew then did either. If there was a day of the year when you could dress up as a draklia and get free sweets I'd have been all over it. ET did seem be the first sight of what Halloween could be like, but I was a bit too old for that by that point. Took a few years to kick in, because I don't remember any kids coming round our house after that, even if I personally was too old for it. One film didn't change everything but I do think it played a big part. First time I remember teens/adults dressing up for Halloween would've been about 1988.

Jockice

It was definitely a thing in Scotland. I have a photo from around 1970 with myself and a cousin dressed up for it, me as a cat and him as a woman. We were about four or five, so didn't have much choice of outfits.  We'd go round to neighbours' houses and do bobbing for apples etc. 

Dr Rock

I tell a lie, I did go to one Halloween party, but it involved bobbing for apples, and an indoor firework. No dressing up was expected.

SteveDave

We used to nail the letterboxes shut (to stop flour, eggs and fireworks coming through) and then go out for a meal somewhere until 9-ish. One year we got back at 9:30 and turned on BBC 1 to watch Ghostwatch missing the opening with the "written by Stephen Volk" credit. Great days.

Nelson

Our festivities extended to candle light, duck-apple and a hollowed-out turnip. Probably some in-house sweets. No guising, but we did go door-to-door for "Penny for the Guy".

Natnar

Another gaffe by Al when he said that Dionne Warwick had her last top 10 hit when That's What Friends Are For got to number 16!!!

Brundle-Fly

I liked it when Taylor remarked, "that recent cover of Mad World". It was released fifteen years ago. I still regard Eninem as a newcomer

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 06, 2018, 03:01:28 PM
I liked it when Taylor remarked, "that recent cover of Mad World". It was released fifteen years ago. I still regard Eninem as a newcomer

Anything after the year 2000 feels recent to me.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 30, 2018, 07:05:28 PM
I could be doing Bates a MASSIVE disservice here, but I don't think his comedic intent was as sophisticated as your 'someone/some wine' suggestion. He's dressed up as a vampire, ergo he's just been drinking someone.

Or am I the idiot here? Have I underestimated a piece of devilishly clever Bates wordplay?

Its just a clumsy clattering of that "having someone over for dinner" joke. As we should know by now, no totp link is smart, clever or lands

dr beat

Latest Patreon message suggests plenty o'lovely lovely Chart Music gubbins in our ears very soon!

gilbertharding

To weigh in with the Hallowe'en thing - I definitely remember doing pumpkin carving at infant school (ie NOT at home) in about '75. I also remember going to parties where we would bob for apples etc. Trick or Treating was a thing - but we lived a street away from a load of Americans, due to the proximity of a US Air Force base.

And on the subject of Simon Bates' terrible links - his attempt at the Transylvanian accent sounded more 'Oy, vey - my loife already' Jewish than anything else.

And at one point he cracks a (I presume visual) joke about 'the producer', obviously because he's seen Ronnie Corbett make the producer the butt of the joke every week, oblivious to the fact that no-one outside of the industry has any idea of what 'the producer' is supposed to signify or connote.

Quote from: dr beat on November 07, 2018, 11:18:03 AM
Latest Patreon message suggests plenty o'lovely lovely Chart Music gubbins in our ears very soon!

I couldn't work out if he meant that episode 33 is being recorded the same day as the Q&A or they are just starting to research it then.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 08, 2018, 03:31:23 AM
I couldn't work out if he meant that episode 33 is being recorded the same day as the Q&A or they are just starting to research it then.

It's a double recording - the Q&A and then #33.

nedthemumbler

Nothing beats the joy of a fresh one, but these are so long and densely packed with references and throwaway jokes that they have huge relistening value. 

Your attention was bound to drift at some point on the first go through so there are always new gems to discover.  Simon's horrific ceiling full of maggots and his creepily calm reaction for instance.

It will surely be gratifying to the lads and lady* that people pore over these like they do with Totp.

*My only slight criticism, the gender imbalance may limit their audience as well as them not benefitting from more varied perspectives.  Can only make it even better.

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 08, 2018, 08:37:14 AM
It's a double recording - the Q&A and then #33.

That makes sense but I'm a little worried they will run out of energy near the end and we will get less than on two separate days.

Brundle-Fly

I do think Al is going to have to ask some different questions at some point (or rope in some new journo guests or surprise guests) for fear of repitition.

ie What does this episode say about 19**?, What were you doing in this particular month of 19**?

I have no problem with them discussing Slade for the upteemth time but eventually they will be looking at shows where they will have to discuss the same track again. I don't want this podcast series to end and I think they should record some sidespecials to discuss episodes of other chart pop shows. There is a rich seam there.

I think I've said all this before on this thread. Can't be bothered to check.

gilbertharding

Has anyone wondered if The Gang know about this place? Would it be good if they did? Or not...

Brundle-Fly

boki

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 08, 2018, 02:06:16 PM
Has anyone wondered if The Gang know about this place? Would it be good if they did? Or not...

IIRC Taylor Parkes has posted here, but that would've been a good few years ago.

Brundle-Fly

Earlier in this thread, it was suggested Pricey used to post on CaB but left because of some ex Cabbers getting all snooty on his ass because he probably got a fact wrong about Kenny Everett.

justin_bennett

That DLT / Read video at the end from 321.  Fuck me...

daf

Just checked, and BBC4 DID show Blue Zoo on the Halloween show - he must have missed the late night repeat that week.

The only shows BBC4 didn't show in full were a couple of early ones from April 1976* - and when people complained, they added the late night unedited version - a tradition which continues to this day (even though there's no need, now they're all 30 minutes long - thanks to Eastenders)

- - - - - - - - - - - -
15 April 1976 - cutting :
THE THREE DEGREES – A Toast Of Love
THE BEATLES & BILLY PRESTON – Get Back (video)
SILVER CONVENTION – Get Up And Boogie (video)

22 April 1976 - cutting :
RODGER COLLINS – You Sexy Sugar Plum (But I Like It) (danced to by Pan's People)
BAY CITY ROLLERS – Love Me Like I Love You (video)
SUTHERLAND BROTHERS & QUIVER – Arms Of Mary (video)
KEITH EMERSON – Honky Tonk Train Blues

29 April 1976 - cutting :
GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS – Midnight Train To Georgia
SILVER CONVENTION – Get Up And Boogie (video)
THE FOUR SEASONS – Silver Star (danced to by Pan's People)

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: daf on November 09, 2018, 04:52:05 PM
Just checked, and BBC4 DID show Blue Zoo on the Halloween show - he must have missed the late night repeat that week.

Thank you for checking this, I was listening to this bizarre little rant of Al's thinking, are you sure they didn't just edit it for time? They were usually so good about showing the whole show on the repeat. On and on he went and it was all misplaced. I reckon Taylor knows the truth about this so was disappointed he didn't set him straight.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 09, 2018, 09:58:11 PM
Thank you for checking this, I was listening to this bizarre little rant of Al's thinking, are you sure they didn't just edit it for time? They were usually so good about showing the whole show on the repeat. On and on he went and it was all misplaced. I reckon Taylor knows the truth about this so was disappointed he didn't set him straight.

Could it have been cut from a previous repeat?
Al's catalog of TOTP episodes is far more thorough than mine anyway.

DrGreggles

Patreon exclusive pod has dropped.
Nearly 2 hours!

Crabwalk

Is there any way of downloading it? I want to listen on my phone.

niat

You can download it on the Patreon app. Another podcast I've subscribed to on Patreon gave an RSS link so I could add it to my podcast app, but I haven't seen one for this yet.

Was the 'Get Back' video from 1976 the rooftop version?

Their only TOTP studio appearance was apparently Paperback Writer.

iamcoop

There's an RSS link that becomes available on the Patreon page when you pledge. I just added it in to my podcast app (on an iPhone) and the chart music bonus feed pops up.