Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on November 27, 2018, 03:02:05 PM
he was working for her father Jimmy Henney.[12]

That's very young.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ta for sharing that list, daf, some potential gems on there.

Quote from: daf on November 27, 2018, 02:05:50 PM
6-3-69: Presenter: Alan Freeman

This is the Sixties episode they should go for, as it allows them to talk about Fluff as well as...

PETER SARSTEDT – Where Do You Go To (My Lovely) 
DAVE DEE, DOZY, BEAKY, MICK & TICH – Don Juan
STEVIE WONDER – I Don't Know Why (I Love You)
LOVE AFFAIR – One Road
LULU – Boom Bang-A-Bang 
THE TYMES – People
THE BEE GEES – The First Of May

SteveDave

I'm using this turn of phrase from that Danny Baker review somewhere somehow

"his whining thumb up his useless arse"

Auntie Beryl

Quote from: buzby on November 26, 2018, 05:52:22 PM
Yes, the ad agency couldn't get the rights to use Gaye's original recording, so they hired ex-Soft Machine members Karl Jenkins and Mike Ratledge (who had moved into soundtracks and ad music) to recreate it with session singer Tony Jackson reproducing Gaye's part and PP Arnold on backing vocals. Motown re-released Gaye's original (with a Levi's 501 logo on the cover) to capitalise on the publicity from the advert, which got to no. 8 In the charts. The cover version from the advert was never released

Jenkins, Ratledge and Jackson also recorded the version of Wonderful World used on 'Bath', the first in that run of Levi's ads back in 1986. He was also the singer on the Libby's Um Bongo advert.

Tony Jackson went on to become the voice of Eurodance act Rage, of "Run To You" and not much else fame.

yesitsme

The bit where AN tells The Lighthouse Family to 'Fuck off' made me laugh out loud on a flight yesterday.

Neil Kulkaney (sp) has the best laugh doesn't he?  Love to hear him chuckling away - always very generious with his laughter.

An uncomfortable moment where Al feels he has to deny asking Sarah jokingly for a fuck. Even among close friends it would be an awkward exchange. I do think that 4 hours on such a bad chart is a tough listen. Brian Harvey discussion was excellent, though, and It's rather amazing that East 17 outsold 90s Take That. The last big sales peak for physical singles?

Perhaps they are avoiding pre-1973 because only David would remember those years so there would be no personal angles? The 1969 line-up doesn't look too appetizing but at least none of those acts have been discussed before. The Stevie track is from before his peak and I don't recall it.

thraxx

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 28, 2018, 10:06:36 PM
An uncomfortable moment where Al feels he has to deny asking Sarah jokingly for a fuck. Even among close friends it would be an awkward exchange.

Which bit was that in?

Perhaps they are avoiding pre-1973 because only David would remember those years so there would be no personal angles? The 1969 line-up doesn't look too appetizing but at least none of those acts have been discussed before. The Stevie track is from before his peak and I don't recall it.

As much as I enjoy listening to their "Where were you in '82?" reminiscences, I think that's just part of the appeal of this podcast. They're witty, eloquent, opinionated and passionately clued-up music fans, so it's not as if the podcast would falter when based around an episode from 'before their time'. They've already discussed episodes which first went out when they were either very young children, or from before they were born. 

Incidentally, that Stevie track is one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQsIxztAoE4

And wouldn't you just love to listen to them discussing Peter "Ahahaha" Sarstedt?

Quote from: thraxx on November 28, 2018, 10:30:18 PM
Which bit was that in?

Al made a 'saucy' joke that could've been perceived as dodgy - I can't remember exactly what he said - then immediately apologised. Sarah didn't sound arsed, it was nothing really.

DrGreggles

and It's rather amazing that East 17 outsold 90s Take That.

Having a "Christmas classic" probably inflates E17's total somewhat, but they were very productive at their peak. Lots of big hits.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 28, 2018, 10:55:32 PM
Al made a 'saucy' joke that could've been perceived as dodgy - I can't remember exactly what he said - then immediately apologised. Sarah didn't sound arsed, it was nothing really.

Yes, just one of those moments you overstep then quickly backtrack, and presumably was seen as no big deal as it was left in. It just felt to me awkward as a listener.

Having listened again (from 1:23) they are talking about "If God Was One Of Us" and Al imitates God as a person saying "do you want a shag?" He then says "That wasn't aimed at you Sarah...or you, Neil." I think it's a Freudian moment rather than "banter" because it's a brainfart.

Sarah's The Archers lyrics had me creasing up - rewound that bit four times.  She proper levelled up this episode - her best one yet.

non capisco

Loved her tortured groan just before they started talking about The Lighthouse Family.

Natnar

The Looks Unfamiliar podcast have released a Top Of The Pops commentary episode if anyone is interested. It's the 9th October 1986 episode of Top Of The Pops
https://player.fm/series/looks-unfamiliar/looks-unfamiliar-top-of-the-pops-extra-i-think-thats-the-first-time-the-bangles-have-ever-been-linked-to-twisted-nerve

Interesting that they are watching it in real time, without knowing what's coming next.

gilbertharding

Astonished to hear - so I checked - Naughty North and Sexy South by E-Motion does not (apparently) contain a sample of Ant Rap by Adam and the Ants.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Made 9 mates come down to Brighton for Simon Price's spellbound night yday. It was bloody good.  Obviously said bummer dog to him and he politely laughed. Would recommend.

Camp Tramp

I think Bummerdog has had its day.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Camp Tramp on December 16, 2018, 02:30:03 PM
I think Bummerdog has had its day.

He came, he bummed*, he conquered.

*and probably came again

daf

Goodbye Bummer-dog
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the hound that found itself
Where trousers were torn apart
You humped around in our schoolyard
And you barked to those in class
Now you belong to the dog pound
And your turds lay on the grass

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on December 16, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
Goodbye Bummer-dog
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the hound that found itself
Where trousers were torn apart
You humped around in our schoolyard
And you barked to those in class
Now you belong to the dog pound
And your turds lay on the grass

And it seems to me you bummed that leg
Like a canine that's on heat
Never knowing when to stop
Until the teacher stepped in
And I'm glad I didn't know you
But I can never tell
If you died many years ago
And Bollockdog as well

Brundle-Fly

Bummerdog will be back, mark my words! I predict a Butlin's Weekender in 2021 with The Hadley Fist, B.A. Cuntinson, Denim Egg and Here Comes Jism.

nedthemumbler

Come on you cants, where's the next one?  Anyone else been relistening to their old Christmas one, from 73 ?

DrGreggles

Quote from: nedthemumbler on December 16, 2018, 08:49:30 PM
Come on you cants, where's the next one?  Anyone else been relistening to their old Christmas one, from 73 ?

Didn't they drop a regular episode and a Christmas special within days of each other last year?
Maybe it'll be the same again.

daf

#34 Dropping tomorrow : "It's another festive one"

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on December 17, 2018, 11:08:13 AM
#34 Dropping tomorrow : "It's another festive one"

It's been a while since the mid-to-late 70s has been visited, so I'm going to guess at 1978 and all related Boney M's.

Al told me privately a few months ago that 27.12.71 is in the queue; but that doesn't necessarily mean that we will get it tomorrow. It would make sense though and would have some classic performances, being a round-up of a good year.

Downside is I already know the track listing so no suspense there.

SPOILER episode guide https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bcvl31

Epic Bisto

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 17, 2018, 12:17:11 PM
It's been a while since the mid-to-late 70s has been visited, so I'm going to guess at 1978 and all related Boney M's.

If that's the case, then bring it on! Ideally, there'll be a lot of Boney M praising and Peter Powell (or Mike Read) shaming.

DrGreggles

#34: 18th December 1980

IT'S HERE!