Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:29:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 27, 2018, 12:12:57 PM
Dutch act Shocking Pink - Venus was #1 in 9 counties (including USA) in 1970, but only for to #8 in the UK.

Shocking Blue, no?

Thanks to the CM YouTube playlist I discovered this banger by them:
https://youtu.be/y-eWMYe-ss8

sweeper

Taylor Parkes having an opinion about a film he hasn't seen (and is wrong about in any case) surely does irreparable damage to his critical nous.

non capisco

Haven't listened to it all yet but much as I love his word weaving skills Taylor is really going all out in the first link with his 'the most professionally morose man in the universe' schtick. I had to applaud Pricey's "Fucking hell, man. Have a laugh, have a drink, what's wrong with you?" aside.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sweeper on December 27, 2018, 01:19:28 PM
Taylor Parkes having an opinion about a film he hasn't seen (and is wrong about in any case) surely does irreparable damage to his critical nous.

To be honest, I don't need to see a film about one of my most despised bands in order to hate it.

sweeper

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 27, 2018, 01:26:40 PM
To be honest, I don't need to see a film about one of my most despised bands in order to hate it.

Really? I've no particular interest in the music of Bob Dylan but I've seen about four films on him, and they're all great. See also the Bros documentary, which is one of the greatest films ever made.

Anyway, Taylor's opinions are on the depiction of Freddie's sexuality, and it's a bit haphazard to express such opinions without seeing the film, especially when the negative reviewers have got it all wrong.

DrGreggles

There's a difference between 'having no particular interest in the music of' and 'hating the music of' though. There's a chance of watching a film about the former with an open mind.
I fucking hate Queen, so I'll hate a film about them.
If they make a film about Bon Jovi, I'll fucking hate that too.

sweeper

But the film isn't about the music of Queen. It's about some people who called themselves Queen and made some music.

It's possible to be interested in an artist without enjoying the art.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sweeper on December 27, 2018, 02:18:54 PM
But the film isn't about the music of Queen. It's about some people who called themselves Queen and made some music.

Yep, I'd hate it.

Just finished the end of the previous episode and it gave me some pleasure to hear John Lennon getting a shoeing from all 3 of them.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 27, 2018, 02:11:14 PM
If they make a film about Bon Jovi, I'll fucking hate that too.

Even if the film was really funny and made Bon Jovi look like total pricks?

I'm terribly tired and mildly drunk, so I probably won't last the distance with this festive episode in one fell swoop, but I would just like to say that Al blaring "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyuppp, you pop crazed youngsters!" never fails to lift my spirits. It heralds another few entertaining hours in the company of this lot, which is something I've really needed - and looked forward to - during this absolute bastard of a year.

God bless, Chart Music, everyone.

Quote from: non capisco on December 27, 2018, 01:23:09 PM
Haven't listened to it all yet but much as I love his word weaving skills Taylor is really going all out in the first link with his 'the most professionally morose man in the universe' schtick. I had to applaud Pricey's "Fucking hell, man. Have a laugh, have a drink, what's wrong with you?" aside.

When Taylor says that Tony Blackburn's surname conjures sinister connotations of "black immolation", I'm pretty sure that Simon mutters "Bloody hell, Taylor" under his breath. Not in a "Oh man, I can't believe you said that, you mind-blowing maverick!" way, he just sounds fatigued and annoyed.

I like Taylor, he's a smart, witty man, but it really must be fucking tiresome if he's like that all the time. He presumably isn't. Maybe he was in a particularly bad mood during the taping of this podcast, but I hope he doesn't fall into the trap of contriving a self-conscious MR GRUMPY persona for himself. He's at his best when he's passionately sincere and thoughtful - and enthusiastic - while tossing out tartly descriptive one-liners. Relentless nihilism is boring.

Anyway, one of this podcast's nicest surprises is that Simon Price is an absolutely lovely fella.

dr beat

To be fair to Taylor he seemed to describe his domestic emergency with a fair amount of good humour.

Quote from: dr beat on December 27, 2018, 09:10:21 PM
To be fair to Taylor he seemed to describe his domestic emergency with a fair amount of good humour.

He did, it was a funny anecdote, but I guess I'm feeling a bit fragile at the moment. To be honest, Taylor reminds me of myself in many ways, so I'm just projecting my own self-loathing towards him.

THANKS TAYLOR.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 27, 2018, 09:03:47 PM
When Taylor says that Tony Blackburn's surname conjures sinister connotations of "black immolation", I'm pretty sure that Simon mutters "Bloody hell, Taylor" under his breath. Not in a "Oh man, I can't believe you said that, you mind-blowing maverick!" way, he just sounds fatigued and annoyed.

I took it the exact opposite way. I just heard it as a "Fucking hell" verbal tic that I've noticed over the podcasts with Simon. I didn't get any tiredness or annoyance through it. I think there's a general fuck you all vibe with regards to him being the only one to enjoy Christmas as there was when everyone was slating halloween a few episodes ago, but it was a good natured fuck you all. I think they've known each other such a long time, twenty years minimum, that they have that shorthand that all old mates have that can be read as something else to outsiders. I know there's times with my own friends when things have seemed really cutting to outsiders when it's been meant really innocently between us.

Yeah, you're right. I've just come back from a really nice, lovely Christmas with my ageing mum and dad, so when I stuck on Chart Music and heard Taylor whingeing, albeit amusingly, it jarred with my mood. I wouldn't normally bristle at such comments.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 27, 2018, 10:04:39 PM
Yeah, you're right. I've just come back from a really nice, lovely Christmas with my ageing mum and dad, so when I stuck on Chart Music and heard Taylor whingeing, albeit amusingly, it jarred with my mood. I wouldn't normally bristle at such comments.

Yeah, had the exact same experience! (I still think Simon was actually moaning about Taylor's uncharacteristically shit 'Blackburn' quip, btw.)

dr beat

Towards the end when they're discussing Queen, Simon seems to press Taylor on his views which sounds very much like the way old friends do - partly out of interest, partly wanting to possibly challenge them. 

buzby

Quote from: dr beat on December 27, 2018, 10:20:36 PM
Towards the end when they're discussing Queen, Simon seems to press Taylor on his views which sounds very much like the way old friends do - partly out of interest, partly wanting to possibly challenge them.
Simon's reaction reminded me of Sarah Bee's defence of Michael Jackson - even hardened critics have acts that they are proper fans of since childhood, and will defend to the death.

Black immolation just seemed way too dark for the context especially if it triggers images of racist atrocity or people dying in tower blocs. Not Taylor's intention obviously but it might have been what triggered Simon's reaponse.

Quote from: buzby on December 27, 2018, 11:35:53 PM
Simon's reaction reminded me of Sarah Bee's defence of Michael Jackson - even hardened critics have acts that they are proper fans of since childhood, and will defend to the death.

Taylor didn't hate Queen but felt they were being remembered for the wrong reasons; Live Aid instead of Killer Queen, say.

famethrowa

I kind of conflated Taylor with Karl Pilkington, this droning, pessimistic character who never laughs. Of course that's not correct at all, but it is still raises my spirits to hear TP "break character" and laff it up. I think he's alright.

They mentioned in this episode that Dusty Springfield played Sun City, which isn't strictly true. She was booked to perform, but pulled out of the engagement when the promoters refused to accept her non-negotiable stipulation that the audience be non-segregated.

You could argue that she should never have agreed to perform there in the first place, but her heart was undoubtedly in the right place.

gmoney

LFBarfe got a mention in this one.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 28, 2018, 04:43:43 PM
They mentioned in this episode that Dusty Springfield played Sun City, which isn't strictly true. She was booked to perform, but pulled out of the engagement when the promoters refused to accept her non-negotiable stipulation that the audience be non-segregated.

You could argue that she should never have agreed to perform there in the first place, but her heart was undoubtedly in the right place.

The Beatles made that stipulation when they played Miami IIRC and the organisers complied, although I don't recall seeing many African Americans in any Beatles audience footage.

SteveDave

"Hare Krishna to you an' all you cunt" Taylor Parkes taking down the worst Beatle. Lovely stuff.

Quote from: gmoney on December 28, 2018, 05:16:18 PM
LFBarfe got a mention in this one.

That made me smile. If anyone is qualified to mount a spirited and informed defence of the TOTP Orchestra, it's our Louis.

Brundle-Fly

Returning to the previous December 1980 ep. I was wandering down the road listening to the podcast and had to immediately Google Image, "Gordon Lorenz" after Pricey's snappy description of the song writer, 'like Brian Connolly from The Sweet injected with helium'.

I let out a huge guffaw that startled an elderly lady passer by.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/music-man-behind-1980-hit-862417