Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyandthecloneasaurus

Hi gang.  Might make an actual thread nearer the time, but having experienced the stress of getting in without a ticket to the Spellbound Xmas party DJed by Chart Music's Simon Price, I've grabbed 5 for the 10th birthday night on the 20th of April.

It's in Brighton, and my real life friends have tactfully let me know that whilst they enjoyed themselves having being dragged thre for my birthday, they're not exactly excited by the prospect of another 150 mile journey to see alternative 80s music.

Anyone fancy it? 

DrGreggles

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on December 28, 2018, 11:37:36 PM
Hi gang.  Might make an actual thread nearer the time, but having experienced the stress of getting in without a ticket to the Spellbound Xmas party DJed by Chart Music's Simon Price, I've grabbed 5 for the 10th birthday night on the 20th of April.

It's in Brighton, and my real life friends have tactfully let me know that whilst they enjoyed themselves having being dragged thre for my birthday, they're not exactly excited by the prospect of another 150 mile journey to see alternative 80s music.

Anyone fancy it?

Possibly. It's a Saturday I presume?

Camp Tramp

I'm in Brighton, so possibly.

Brundle-Fly

When is Pricey's 2Tone club night on? He's going to be rather limited with his DJ setlist, if he's just going to play the same six or seven bands all night.

buzby

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 29, 2018, 04:53:56 PM
When is Pricey's 2Tone club night on? He's going to be rather limited with his DJ setlist, if he's just going to play the same six or seven bands all night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oRWKeKzC8

Epic Bisto

He can have my copy of "Elvis Should Play Ska" by Graduate if he wants to make the night last longer.

Shame it's an almost 5 hour journey to Brighton as I'd be up for a Price Cube club night.

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 29, 2018, 04:53:56 PM

It'll be in the Spring I believe. As with all his other 'themed' Spellbound nights, I imagine it will be the standard fare (late 70s to mid 80s synthpop, post punk and goth) but with 2 Tone tracks played every other song, or third song. He did a C86/Jangle one a few years back and hearing the likes of Talulah Gosh nestling uncomfortably next to The Cult and Sisters of Mercy was a right old hoot.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on December 30, 2018, 02:36:06 PM
It'll be in the Spring I believe. As with all his other 'themed' Spellbound nights, I imagine it will be the standard fare (late 70s to mid 80s synthpop, post punk and goth) but with 2 Tone tracks played every other song, or third song. He did a C86/Jangle one a few years back and hearing the likes of Talulah Gosh nestling uncomfortably next to The Cult and Sisters of Mercy was a right old hoot.

Ah, that would make more sense. Thanks Vod, I might pop down for that one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Pricey and his missus, DJ Jayney BlamBlam, are spinning some tunes on http://1btn.fm/ at the moment.

EDIT: He's just mentioned the Bros documentary, which he hasn't had a chance to watch yet. The CM gang really do need to watch and discuss it at some point soon.

Is the http://1btn.fm/ broadcast available later or only live?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 01, 2019, 06:47:43 PM

There doesn't appear to be a 'listen again' option, unfortunately.

buzby

I listened to episode 15 again the other day, and the backhanded dismissal of Hazel O'Connor still riles me. I'm not even a particular fan of her music, but the attitude of Al, Stubbs and Price towards her in that episode whiffs of the usual music journalist snobbery and dismissal that used to regularly crop up when I read the NME and Record Mirror back in the 80s and 90s.

The 'Shakin Willcox' gag doesn't even work, as the song they are talking about in the episode beat Toyah's first charting single and top 10 hit (It's a Mystery) into the charts by 6 months.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 01, 2019, 06:20:05 PM
Pricey and his missus, DJ Jayney BlamBlam, are spinning some tunes on http://1btn.fm/ at the moment.

EDIT: He's just mentioned the Bros documentary, which he hasn't had a chance to watch yet. The CM gang really do need to watch and discuss it at some point soon.

Al has said he watched and liked it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: buzby on January 01, 2019, 09:10:59 PM
the attitude of Al, Stubbs and Price towards her in that episode whiffs of the usual music journalist snobbery and dismissal that used to regularly crop up when I read the NME and Record Mirror back in the 80s and 90s.

I know what you mean. Some of their sniffiness has made me "Grrrr" but you have to kind of roll with it and find that pinch of salt down the back of the sofa. It's a podcast about old TOTP episodes made by middle-aged ex-Melody Maker journos on their uppers.

Caveat emptor. (feat: Shanks & Bigfoot)

Crabwalk

Neil has watched it too and said he found it 5% funny and 90% sad. I'd put it at about 50/50 myself.

gmoney

I think I would put it at 95% funny and 5% sad. If they were struggling it would have been sadder, but they both seemed pretty content with their day to day lives.

Brundle-Fly

I thought the Bros documentary was refreshingly open and rather sweet. Yes, they appear to have arrested development, no self-awareness and seem to have been bamboozled by L.A psychobabble over the past twenty years, but they came over as just a couple of sensitive blokes who did and done good.   I'm losing my edge, as I hated them thirty years ago.

Chriddof

I would agree with the 50/50 thing. Roughly the first half of it is very funny (with isolated moments afterwards), and then it gets to the death of their sister and all the infighting before the concert happens and it gets quite sad. I got quite attached to Luke (or Matt? The one that still has his hair, I mean) as he was clearly the most sensitive one, despite the faint whiff of Brexit-ness in his brief conkers rant and the bulldog painting bit.

Johnboy

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 01, 2019, 06:47:43 PM

it's Jayney Blam Blam's show, they get uploaded to mixcloud shortly after broadcast

https://www.mixcloud.com/1btn/jayney-blam-blam-41218/

daf

Quote from: Chriddof on January 01, 2019, 11:23:28 PM
the faint whiff of Brexit-ness in his brief conkers rant and the bulldog painting bit.

Heh!

That's it - I'm calling Matt/Hair 'Brexit Bros' from now on : Baldy Bros & Brexit Bros

boki

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on December 28, 2018, 11:37:36 PM

Anyone fancy it?

I'd be up for this.  I've become quite intrigued by this night thanks to its mentions on the podcast.

Reg Tits

Quote from: HodgerMccodger on December 21, 2018, 11:34:42 AM
I wondered if anyone knew if/where melody maker back issues were available.

This website looked like it provided them, but the link doesn't seem to work anymore
http://phop.co.uk/about/

Your best bet for back issue magazines is eBay. Look for a load of magazines as one lot on auction. You can normally get them for around a £1 each in bulk.

Auntie Beryl

Al's mention of The Wurzels covering "Don't Look Back In Anger" in 2002 made me shudder involuntarily.

That year, I was managing the record shop on Paddington Station. As an attempt to drum up publicity for the single, on the Monday morning of release EMI arranged for the two extant Wurzels to wander around the station concourse with acoustic guitars, gamely banging out rendition after rendition of this single to passing travellers.

I suppose the idea was that the target market - those arriving in London from Somerset - would most likely be coming into Paddington. Unfortunately, so were commuters from Maidenhead, West Drayton and Heathrow Airport, who gave not a toss for the ageing smock-wearing scrumpy-botherers.

Interest was minimal - I should know, I was the sap following them around with a tray of CD singles attempting to persuade punters to part with £1.99. Few takers.

The single eventually charted at number 59.

Brundle-Fly

Great story, Beryl. We're they noice blokes?

Golden E. Pump

Got a Tweet from Al, and they're very aware of this thread!

DrGreggles

Hello Al!

In other news, Simon Bates appears to have turned into my Auntie Jean: