Author Topic: Chart Music Podcast  (Read 93438 times)

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
Re: Chart Music Podcast
« Reply #1560 on: January 05, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
Got a Tweet from Al, and they're very aware of this thread!

Breaking the fourth wall.

« Reply #1561 on: January 05, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1562 on: January 14, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
I'm a little bit behind with these, but just got to the bit where Simon Price goes through the reasons he doesn't like Elton John - and am puzzled: he says that he never really noticed that Elton John was bald, and in any case would never really have considered mere baldness to be odd in a popstar. He says "Perhaps because he had too much else going on (specs, shoes etc)".

But everyone (including me because the grown ups I knew told me) knew that the glasses, hat, boa, boots, were affected specifically to distract the eye from his slapheadedness.

« Reply #1563 on: January 15, 2019, 12:32:08 PM »
I'm a little bit behind with these, but just got to the bit where Simon Price goes through the reasons he doesn't like Elton John - and am puzzled: he says that he never really noticed that Elton John was bald, and in any case would never really have considered mere baldness to be odd in a popstar. He says "Perhaps because he had too much else going on (specs, shoes etc)".

But everyone (including me because the grown ups I knew told me) knew that the glasses, hat, boa, boots, were affected specifically to distract the eye from his slapheadedness.

I much preferred Taylor’s take on Elton; that he basically is awkward to like because he has nothing to say and is so clearly ill at ease with being a popstar.

« Reply #1564 on: January 15, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »
It's odd that Elton was absolutely huge in the USA in the mid-70s (much bigger than in the UK) unless you see him a British Liberace, or Barry Manilow, who was lucky that he was able to jump on the Bowie bandwagon (Rocket Man being a recycle of Space Oddity, etc).

IMHO he also did some great tunes - I'm Still Standing, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting - but his fame rests on the cringe-making stuff like Your Song and Daniel.

« Reply #1565 on: January 15, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »
It's odd that Elton was absolutely huge in the USA in the mid-70s (much bigger than in the UK) unless you see him a British Liberace, or Barry Manilow, who was lucky that he was able to jump on the Bowie bandwagon (Rocket Man being a recycle of Space Oddity, etc).

IMHO he also did some great tunes - I'm Still Standing, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting - but his fame rests on the cringe-making stuff like Your Song and Daniel.

Fucking amazing song.

Went see him on his last tour, mainly to hear him play Rocket Man before one of us died.
He played a fucking awful 10 minute jazzed up version of it. REALLY fucking awful.
Followed by "Now I'd like to play a couple off the new album"*, so I fucked off.
The cunt's dead to me now.

*it's amazing how loud the sound of a few thousand people groaning is

Neomod

• Oh my genitals | I'm a janitor
« Reply #1566 on: January 16, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
Elton nearly ruined a Prince gig we went to with an interminable duet on the Long and Winding Road.

Horrible warble his voice was.

Crabwalk

• I behaved like a skinhead.
« Reply #1567 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:02 AM »
Elton nearly ruined a Prince gig we went to with an interminable duet on the Long and Winding Road.

Horrible warble his voice was.

I was at that show! You're not kidding; me and my wife still occasionally break into awful, howling, club versions of TLAWR to make each other laugh. He needed a teleprompter for the lyrics too, the twat.

That said, I got tickets to see him at the O2 in November and am actually looking forward to it, so who's the real twat?

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #1568 on: January 16, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
I saw Elton John at the O2 in 2006 and it's still one of the best shows I've ever been to. All the hits (with one new one for a piss break) and after every song (to my memory) he stood up and punched the air.

Crabwalk

« Reply #1569 on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
That is good to hear. That's exactly what I'm after from the show (minus the new song. And the air-punching, which I can take-or-leave to be honest).

SteveDave

• BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #1570 on: January 16, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »
That is good to hear. That's exactly what I'm after from the show (minus the new song. And the air-punching, which I can take-or-leave to be honest).

He was wearing an earring that was shaped like a graffito cock and balls too.

Crabwalk

« Reply #1571 on: January 16, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Graffito cocks are my favourite sort so I am buzzing for this.

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #1572 on: January 17, 2019, 09:05:39 AM »
Did anyone notice Taylor's voice was awesomely bassy and fulsome in this last 'cast? Maybe the Patreon moola is getting spent on better recording gear now.

He went full Peter Cook in the toilet overflowing story, it was great.

batwings

• Timewaster seeks same. No timewasters please.
« Reply #1573 on: January 17, 2019, 11:18:16 AM »
Pity we're not getting new ones as quickly as before but it's still the best podcast available, I reckon. Very re-listenable too.

Neomod

• Oh my genitals | I'm a janitor
« Reply #1574 on: January 17, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »
I was at that show! You're not kidding; me and my wife still occasionally break into awful, howling, club versions of TLAWR to make each other laugh. He needed a teleprompter for the lyrics too, the twat.

Doesn't he warble with that clunky vibrato because his voice was/is getting ropey?

That said, I got tickets to see him at the O2 in November and am actually looking forward to it, so who's the real twat?

If he is wheeled onstage (well, under the stage) via the box like wot Prince was, all is forgiven1.

1. It's not

Brundle-Fly

• I'm so Avant-garden variety
« Reply #1575 on: January 17, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
Pity we're not getting new ones as quickly as before.

We got practically seven hours worth of CM over the Xmas period. Give Al a break.

batwings

• Timewaster seeks same. No timewasters please.
« Reply #1576 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:03 PM »
We got practically seven hours worth of CM over the Xmas period. Give Al a break.

Don't mean to be having a go at Al. Just jonesing for my fix is all.

« Reply #1577 on: January 17, 2019, 11:04:12 PM »
I'm the same. Can't get 'nuff o' dis dope shi'!*

*sorry

Morrison Lard

• Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
« Reply #1578 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
Al Needham is Notts royalteh.

Left Lion forums RIP.

Love yah, Al, mah duck.

Crabwalk

« Reply #1579 on: January 18, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
New episode next week, says Al.

« Reply #1580 on: January 18, 2019, 03:16:00 PM »
Probably means it has been recorded, but not edited.

daf

• Is this for posh knob 'eads?
« Reply #1581 on: January 18, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
Did they ever fix that recent one with a few silences in it? (only Al's bits were audible for a minute or so)

« Reply #1582 on: January 18, 2019, 04:34:17 PM »
Did they ever fix that recent one with a few silences in it? (only Al's bits were audible for a minute or so)

Yep. Re-downloading it should bring forth the fixed version.

SteveDave

• BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #1583 on: January 18, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
I look forward to hearing my name being read out.

Johnboy

• rub a dub dub
« Reply #1584 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
I'm guessing Neil and Stubbsy or Neil and Taylor

« Reply #1585 on: January 19, 2019, 12:01:26 AM »
Al said on the last episode that Stubbs would be return-ed on "the next episode".

non capisco

• My valve is screaming for appeasement.
« Reply #1586 on: January 19, 2019, 12:10:44 AM »
Stubbsy, surely. He must have been undergoing about five months jankers by now at least.  I predict another Chart Music Original Gangsters pairing with Bee. 

EDIT: What Greggles said.

gmoney

• Hug a jug of wine
« Reply #1587 on: January 19, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
I reckon it'll be Stubbs and Kulk Kogan.

« Reply #1588 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »
Stubbs mentions the Golden Sands Chalet Park in Withernsea in CM #25 so that may connect to the video in Al's email on Camber Sands
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:21:19 PM by Satchmo Distel »

« Reply #1589 on: January 20, 2019, 10:00:29 PM »
Did Squeeze ever make a TOTP performance of Pulling Mussels From the Shell?