Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Golden E. Pump on January 05, 2019, 03:36:28 PM
Got a Tweet from Al, and they're very aware of this thread!

Breaking the fourth wall.

gilbertharding

I'm a little bit behind with these, but just got to the bit where Simon Price goes through the reasons he doesn't like Elton John - and am puzzled: he says that he never really noticed that Elton John was bald, and in any case would never really have considered mere baldness to be odd in a popstar. He says "Perhaps because he had too much else going on (specs, shoes etc)".

But everyone (including me because the grown ups I knew told me) knew that the glasses, hat, boa, boots, were affected specifically to distract the eye from his slapheadedness.

thraxx

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2019, 05:02:19 PM
I'm a little bit behind with these, but just got to the bit where Simon Price goes through the reasons he doesn't like Elton John - and am puzzled: he says that he never really noticed that Elton John was bald, and in any case would never really have considered mere baldness to be odd in a popstar. He says "Perhaps because he had too much else going on (specs, shoes etc)".

But everyone (including me because the grown ups I knew told me) knew that the glasses, hat, boa, boots, were affected specifically to distract the eye from his slapheadedness.

I much preferred Taylor's take on Elton; that he basically is awkward to like because he has nothing to say and is so clearly ill at ease with being a popstar.

It's odd that Elton was absolutely huge in the USA in the mid-70s (much bigger than in the UK) unless you see him a British Liberace, or Barry Manilow, who was lucky that he was able to jump on the Bowie bandwagon (Rocket Man being a recycle of Space Oddity, etc).

IMHO he also did some great tunes - I'm Still Standing, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting - but his fame rests on the cringe-making stuff like Your Song and Daniel.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 15, 2019, 01:37:12 PM
It's odd that Elton was absolutely huge in the USA in the mid-70s (much bigger than in the UK) unless you see him a British Liberace, or Barry Manilow, who was lucky that he was able to jump on the Bowie bandwagon (Rocket Man being a recycle of Space Oddity, etc).

IMHO he also did some great tunes - I'm Still Standing, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting - but his fame rests on the cringe-making stuff like Your Song and Daniel.

Fucking amazing song.

Went see him on his last tour, mainly to hear him play Rocket Man before one of us died.
He played a fucking awful 10 minute jazzed up version of it. REALLY fucking awful.
Followed by "Now I'd like to play a couple off the new album"*, so I fucked off.
The cunt's dead to me now.

*it's amazing how loud the sound of a few thousand people groaning is

Neomod

Elton nearly ruined a Prince gig we went to with an interminable duet on the Long and Winding Road.

Horrible warble his voice was.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Neomod on January 16, 2019, 11:15:04 AM
Elton nearly ruined a Prince gig we went to with an interminable duet on the Long and Winding Road.

Horrible warble his voice was.

I was at that show! You're not kidding; me and my wife still occasionally break into awful, howling, club versions of TLAWR to make each other laugh. He needed a teleprompter for the lyrics too, the twat.

That said, I got tickets to see him at the O2 in November and am actually looking forward to it, so who's the real twat?

SteveDave

I saw Elton John at the O2 in 2006 and it's still one of the best shows I've ever been to. All the hits (with one new one for a piss break) and after every song (to my memory) he stood up and punched the air.

Crabwalk

That is good to hear. That's exactly what I'm after from the show (minus the new song. And the air-punching, which I can take-or-leave to be honest).

SteveDave

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 16, 2019, 01:08:29 PM
That is good to hear. That's exactly what I'm after from the show (minus the new song. And the air-punching, which I can take-or-leave to be honest).

He was wearing an earring that was shaped like a graffito cock and balls too.

Crabwalk

Graffito cocks are my favourite sort so I am buzzing for this.

famethrowa

Did anyone notice Taylor's voice was awesomely bassy and fulsome in this last 'cast? Maybe the Patreon moola is getting spent on better recording gear now.

He went full Peter Cook in the toilet overflowing story, it was great.

batwings

Pity we're not getting new ones as quickly as before but it's still the best podcast available, I reckon. Very re-listenable too.

Neomod

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 16, 2019, 11:30:02 AM
I was at that show! You're not kidding; me and my wife still occasionally break into awful, howling, club versions of TLAWR to make each other laugh. He needed a teleprompter for the lyrics too, the twat.

Doesn't he warble with that clunky vibrato because his voice was/is getting ropey?

QuoteThat said, I got tickets to see him at the O2 in November and am actually looking forward to it, so who's the real twat?

If he is wheeled onstage (well, under the stage) via the box like wot Prince was, all is forgiven1.

1. It's not

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: batwings on January 17, 2019, 11:18:16 AM
Pity we're not getting new ones as quickly as before.

We got practically seven hours worth of CM over the Xmas period. Give Al a break.

batwings

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 17, 2019, 06:35:06 PM
We got practically seven hours worth of CM over the Xmas period. Give Al a break.

Don't mean to be having a go at Al. Just jonesing for my fix is all.

DrGreggles

I'm the same. Can't get 'nuff o' dis dope shi'!*

*sorry

Morrison Lard

Al Needham is Notts royalteh.

Left Lion forums RIP.

Love yah, Al, mah duck.

Crabwalk

New episode next week, says Al.

DrGreggles

Probably means it has been recorded, but not edited.

daf

Did they ever fix that recent one with a few silences in it? (only Al's bits were audible for a minute or so)

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on January 18, 2019, 04:06:16 PM
Did they ever fix that recent one with a few silences in it? (only Al's bits were audible for a minute or so)

Yep. Re-downloading it should bring forth the fixed version.

SteveDave

I look forward to hearing my name being read out.

Johnboy

I'm guessing Neil and Stubbsy or Neil and Taylor

DrGreggles

Al said on the last episode that Stubbs would be return-ed on "the next episode".

non capisco

Stubbsy, surely. He must have been undergoing about five months jankers by now at least.  I predict another Chart Music Original Gangsters pairing with Bee. 

EDIT: What Greggles said.

gmoney

I reckon it'll be Stubbs and Kulk Kogan.

Stubbs mentions the Golden Sands Chalet Park in Withernsea in CM #25 so that may connect to the video in Al's email on Camber Sands

DrGreggles

Did Squeeze ever make a TOTP performance of Pulling Mussels From the Shell?