Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 20, 2019, 10:00:29 PM
Did Squeeze ever make a TOTP performance of Pulling Mussels From the Shell?

What is that song about? It's a sex thing, isn't it? Genitals imagery? Taking a condom out its packet?

It came out during the BBC strike.

Difford says it was an attempt to write a Ray Davies song. William Tell is a more direct sexual image.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 21, 2019, 11:09:54 AM
It came out during the BBC strike.

Difford says it was an attempt to write a Ray Davies song. William Tell is a more direct sexual image.

William Tell and Maid Marian could never have met. As Chris Difford apparently only recently realised.

Brundle-Fly

I saw Chris Difford's' live 'solo' show with Boo Herwerdine last November and I highly recommend it. Charming, funny and hit after hit.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 21, 2019, 12:26:06 PM
I saw Chris Difford's' live 'solo' show with Boo Herwerdine last November and I highly recommend it. Charming, funny and hit after hit.

So did I. He did a 'three-ring circus' show in Sheffield, along with Richard Hawley and Graham Fellows playing in different orders at different venues.  The one I went to had Hawley first, Difford in the middle and Fellows headlining.  May go and see Glenn Tilbrook supporting Wilko Johnson in Buxton next month too. My nearest and dearest is a massive Squeeze fan.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on January 21, 2019, 01:31:46 PM
. My nearest and dearest is a massive Squeeze fan.

They're playing this year ain't they?

Yes, 15/05/1980.  It wasn't repeated on BBC4.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 21, 2019, 01:39:11 PM
They're playing this year ain't they?

Yeah, but it's not till October. We'll probably go again. Strangely, despite liking them a lot and even doing a phone interview with Glenn once I'd never seen them live till I got hooked up. Now I've seen them twice, and Difford solo twice (once at the above-mentioned thing and also at a talk about his book during which he also played a few songs.) I've no objection to this. Now, her other favourite band, the Sodding Saw Doctors, are another matter altogether.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 21, 2019, 12:26:06 PM

I saw Chris' show with Norman Lovett a few years ago in Edinburgh. Great fun.

daf

Quote from: daf on June 01, 2015, 02:59:26 PM
15 May 1980: Presenter: Dave Lee Travis

(47)    SQUEEZE – Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)
Jools gets to cut loose at last.

According to Al on twitter new ep drops today

Camp Tramp

Showing up in the website but not available for download, I can't see the link anyway.

Cursus

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on January 24, 2019, 01:42:45 PM
According to Al on twitter new ep drops today

Yay!

Quote from: Johnboy on January 18, 2019, 11:37:36 PM
I'm guessing Neil and Stubbsy or Neil and Taylor

Close:

QuoteDavid Stubbs and Taylor Parkes join Al Needham for a huddle around the candle of late '79.

I actually remember doing a cassette recording of this episode off the telly. The Charlie Daniels Band seemed freakish in that field - WTF is this?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Camp Tramp on January 24, 2019, 01:50:00 PM
Showing up in the website but not available for download, I can't see the link anyway.

Mine landed straight in my pods as usual.

There was a problem with the download link but it's fixed now

Epic Bisto

'Cor blimey, my hard won Patreon dosh has made Jankers Stubbs sound crystal clear.  There'll probably be more that I'll pick up second time around, but so far the Fred Ott reference and the meticulous Dooleys/80s Pontin's ad talk made me giggle.  Christ, the Dooleys are HARD BREXIT NOW in music form aren't they?

DrGreggles

Ooh, a special mention for upping my Patreonage!
Oddly exciting.

Albert Goldman was right about that Peebles interview, probably the weakest one that was done with Lennon that year. Hack job.

Radio 1 employed some bland fuckers at that time - Peebles, Skinner, Bates. Preferable to Savile and DLT obviously but lifeless.

SteveDave

Got a Patreon shout out with my full name. Yessssssssss.

thraxx

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 24, 2019, 09:25:35 PM
Ooh, a special mention for upping my Patreonage!
Oddly exciting.

Quote from: SteveDave on January 25, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
Got a Patreon shout out with my full name. Yessssssssss.

I got one too, wasn't expecting it to be such a thrill.

jamiefairlie

Does anyone else find these incredibly comforting?

I get such a lift knowing a new one is available, especially if I'm having a shitty day.

Kind of like visiting old friends for a natter. I find myself starting to care about their welfare 😃

daf

Mike from Spaced

Peeblo

Epic Bisto

Christ almighty, that's uncanny.  I thought he resembled a clean-shaven yuppie Garry Bushell or the last known photo of Michael Ryan.

Another CM theme there: big glasses and tache to distract from the balding scalp.

daf

DrGreggles

daf

non capisco

"Keep on with the postal strike!"

Man alive, I love this podcast.

kidsick5000