Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
That 'Luton Airport' performance shows one downside of punk - sort of novelty DIY punk parody stuff leeching off popular TV and film references.

Steve Wright voiceover on its TOTP2 showing: "They're not exactly Atomic Kitten, be warned."

phantom_power

I was strangely nervous about how they would talk about Fleetwood Mac at the end as I bloody love that song after only discovering it recently and wasn't sure how they would go about it, and FM in general

I disagree with Parkes about punk flattening things. It is another case of a music journalist coming up with a theory on the fly and using selected facts to back that up. There was no mention of how punk embraced reggae and funk and how interesting some punk bands like X-Ray Spex were in their mixing up of genres

gilbertharding

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 27, 2019, 10:30:27 PM
That 'Luton Airport' performance shows one downside of punk - sort of novelty DIY punk parody stuff leeching off popular TV and film references.

There was a fair bit of that. The Monks 'Nice Legs...' springs to mind. Splodgenessabounds 'Two Pints of Lager' (as enjoyed by Little and Large - look for the reference in the relevant thread).
Toy Dolls 'Nellie the Elephant' was probably the last knockings of that kind of thing.

batwings

Saw this linked on twitter: the 1979-10-11 TOTP talked about in the latest CM podcast (1979-10-11) can be watched/downloaded at https://archive.org/details/BBC_Top_of_the_Pops_1979_10_11

daf

Well remember'd Gilbers - and C. where C.'s D.!

gilbertharding

I knew it had been noticed before.

I thought it might have been the right episode, so we could compare our reactions to the ChartMusic gang's... but no.

Here's your post regarding 11 October 1979: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,31884.msg2376458.html#msg2376458 but as you can see, there was very little discussion in those days - until the forum became animated by the sudden ubiquity (you might say surfeit) of BA Robertson.

daf

Just call me Nostradafmus!

Quote from: daf on October 24, 2014, 03:06:07 PM
(16)    THE DOOLEYS – The Chosen Few
A glimpse into Pontins Hell.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 30, 2019, 04:37:58 PM
There was a fair bit of that. The Monks 'Nice Legs...' springs to mind. Splodgenessabounds 'Two Pints of Lager' (as enjoyed by Little and Large - look for the reference in the relevant thread).
Toy Dolls 'Nellie the Elephant' was probably the last knockings of that kind of thing.

Bushell called it Pathetiqué. I've always had a fondnest for the genre. John Kettley Is A Weatherman by A Tribe Of Toffs was also a last gasp. Snuff were pure comedy Oi in the nineties but I don't think they ever troubled the charts. It was all replaced by Toytown rave records and comedy rap, I suppose?

gilbertharding

Jilted John, of course...

The Tribe of Toffs were more of a comedy indie band, weren't they? It came around the same time as the shambling 'anorak' bands, like The Pooh Sticks - whose songs also revealed a serious sense of humour.

If you'd only heard Some Girls are Bigger than Others, Frankly Mr Shankly, and Girlfriend in a Coma you'd come away with the idea The Smiths were a novelty band too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 31, 2019, 11:56:05 AM
Bushell called it Pathetiqué. I've always had a fondnest for the genre.

Would Otway & Barrett fit the bill?

Crabwalk

Morris Minor and the Majors with 'Stutter Rap'. There must've been a couple in the early 90s at least? Wracking my brain...

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 31, 2019, 11:56:05 AM
Bushell called it Pathetiqué. I've always had a fondnest for the genre. John Kettley Is A Weatherman by A Tribe Of Toffs was also a last gasp. Snuff were pure comedy Oi in the nineties but I don't think they ever troubled the charts. It was all replaced by Toytown rave records and comedy rap, I suppose?

Wasn't it La Punk Pathetique? The Notsensibles etc.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on January 31, 2019, 01:15:58 PM
Wasn't it La Punk Pathetique? The Norsensibles etc.

Yeah, and Postmen.

"Orgasm Addict" might be an early example but fortunately The Buzzcocks moved beyond that very quickly.

Late Pistols, like Frigging In The Rigging.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 31, 2019, 01:22:02 PM
Yeah, and Postmen.

They totally passed me by. Were they real postmen? Well, it's better than walking the streets. Etc.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on January 31, 2019, 04:04:32 PM
They totally passed me by. Were they real postmen? Well, it's better than walking the streets. Etc.

Their cover of Pink Floyd's Have A Cigar. Sounds like The Fall meets Cockney Rejects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnHJKMVhKoc

Durance Vile

Ugh. This has reminded me of one of the most excruciating gigs I've ever been to - the Toy Dolls in Lille in 1988. This would have been about ten years after their heyday, but the French loved them. The lad who dragged me along had otherwise superb taste in music, but the French all had an inexplicable weakness for that sort of thing. In his mitigation, I had once expressed admiration for Plastic Bertrand, so I suppose he saw me as a fellow enthusiast of the lighter end of punk. Christ it was fucking awful.

Later, in Germany, I discovered that "Fun Punk" was a whole genre in itself, with the Tote Hosen, Ärzte, Goldene Zitronen and loads of others. Those three were actually quite witty and imaginative, but there were hundreds and hundreds of dullard oom-pah oom-pah imitators that were basically Volksmusik with mohicans.

Jockice

Quote from: Durance Vile on January 31, 2019, 07:37:48 PM
Ugh. This has reminded me of one of the most excruciating gigs I've ever been to - the Toy Dolls in Lille in 1988. This would have been about ten years after their heyday, but the French loved them. The lad who dragged me along had otherwise superb taste in music, but the French all had an inexplicable weakness for that sort of thing. In his mitigation, I had once expressed admiration for Plastic Bertrand, so I suppose he saw me as a fellow enthusiast of the lighter end of punk. Christ it was fucking awful.

Later, in Germany, I discovered that "Fun Punk" was a whole genre in itself, with the Tote Hosen, Ärzte, Goldene Zitronen and loads of others. Those three were actually quite witty and imaginative, but there were hundreds and hundreds of dullard oom-pah oom-pah imitators that were basically Volksmusik with mohicans.

Die Toten Hosen did probably my favourite album of covers ever,  Learning English Lesson One. It consists of them doing a load of punk cover versions along with members of the bands who originally did them. Honestly, it's brilliant. The finale of Born To Lose with all the guest stars joining in has been known to reduce me to tears.

One thing I really like about this podcast is discovering which bands the contributors are serious fans of. On the last one when Fleetwood Mac came on I sort of expected some semi admiring sneer from Taylor but he actually revealed himself to be a real fan of FM with some real in depth knowledge of their work.

Epic Bisto

It was a lovely moment when Stubbs chose the easy route and slagged off Dr Hook before everyone else (mainly Parkes) went down the opposite path. Quite right too. It was a rather sweet moment and it's also a good song (up there with "What A Fool Believes" as a lovely blue-eyed soul number that one should feel no shame in liking).

Also, did anyone see the Stars In Their Eyes clip Al shared? One word: Hucknall.

Jockice

Ferry and Jagger are better.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Epic Bisto on February 01, 2019, 07:58:38 AM
It was a lovely moment when Stubbs chose the easy route and slagged off Dr Hook before everyone else (mainly Parkes) went down the opposite path. Quite right too. It was a rather sweet moment and it's also a good song (up there with "What A Fool Believes" as a lovely blue-eyed soul number that one should feel no shame in liking).

I thought Stubbsy was indifferent to Dr Hook rather than slagging them off.
We've all heard someone being slagged off on Chart Music and it's far harsher than that!

QuoteAlso, did anyone see the Stars In Their Eyes clip Al shared? One word: Hucknall.

Twice so far. It's amazing.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

Pricey just retweeted this.
It's a bunch of Japanese lookalikes singing 'We Are The World'.
https://youtu.be/_ldEz5h4RMU

It might be the greatest thing there has ever been!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 04, 2019, 01:20:44 PM
Pricey just retweeted this.
It's a bunch of Japanese lookalikes singing 'We Are The World'.
https://youtu.be/_ldEz5h4RMU

It might be the greatest thing there has ever been!

Jesus Christ!!!

Chriddof

"Cyndi Lauper" is uncannily accurate.

Brundle-Fly

'Is this racist?'

A labyrinthine discussion there.