Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 04, 2019, 01:20:44 PM
Pricey just retweeted this.
It's a bunch of Japanese lookalikes singing 'We Are The World'.
https://youtu.be/_ldEz5h4RMU

It might be the greatest thing there has ever been!

The guy doing Springsteen makes it for me. The sheer amount of welly he's giving it is magnificent. Total Boss.

Epic Bisto

'kin hell. I just don't know what to make of that.

buzby

Quote from: Phil_A on February 04, 2019, 07:01:21 PM
The guy doing Springsteen makes it for me. The sheer amount of welly he's giving it is magnificent. Total Boss.
He looks and sounds like he's straining to release a two-week old impacted turd.

Good grief.

non capisco

Much as I love old Boss chops it's a fairly accurate representation of his already hilarious overwrought grunting on the original.

DrGreggles

New $5 tier added so that the PCY's can get early access to the new episodes.

Totally giving them $5 a month considering how much joy I get out of the podcast, and this is off-topic somewhat, but I wish Patreon also did contributions in GBP rather than USD.  Doesn't particularly affect me much, but the same tier figures in GBP means UK-based "content creators" might get 10-20% more coin rather than depend on the exchange rate being peachy at the start of a month.

non capisco

More than happy to bung Al and the gang more of my hard earned skrilla considering they were nice enough to conceive and regularly produce a podcast that almost could have been designed for me. Long may it continue.

The Roofdog

Eh, sorry to be a miserable fucker but I've never liked the day early thing as a patreon reward: all it really means is you're holding it back an extra day for everyone else. Anything else and I would've upped it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 11, 2019, 11:00:48 PM
Eh, sorry to be a miserable fucker but I've never liked the day early thing as a patreon reward: all it really means is you're holding it back an extra day for everyone else. Anything else and I would've upped it.

Eh I donated the $5 not for any benefit but purely because I think they're worth it. The early thing is purely there because they had to offer something for higher level patreons. They could have offered nowt and I'd have still paid it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 11, 2019, 11:00:48 PM

Al and co rely on small financial contributions to buy microphones and whatnot. Little things that make the podcast you enjoy sound better, that's all. I very much doubt that Al is rolling in coinage and cackling at the saps who've fallen for his ruse of getting an episode one day early.

I know that's not really what you meant, but chucking a few quid towards this gang seems entirely fair enough to me. To be honest, I really wouldn't mind if Al used some of that money to help Taylor fix his toilet.

The Roofdog

I jumped straight on the patreon when it first appeared, I'm at $3 and I might even increase anyway. But I would genuinely rather the money went towards Taylor's bog than delaying the pod release by a day for the majority. Because that's all this is. Plenty of other podcasts have done it, sure. Plenty of other podcasts were wrong too.

Those of us who are addicted to the podcast will pay the $5. Those who pay less will still get bonus podcasts and a vote in polls. The one aggravation would be if you click on this thread and see posters raving about an episode that you can't access yet. We'd have to post spoiler warnings for 24 hours.

OTOH You could also ask a $5 tier member to send you the download, I'd guess.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 12, 2019, 12:27:01 AM
I jumped straight on the patreon when it first appeared, I'm at $3 and I might even increase anyway. But I would genuinely rather the money went towards Taylor's bog than delaying the pod release by a day for the majority. Because that's all this is. Plenty of other podcasts have done it, sure. Plenty of other podcasts were wrong too.

What difference does it make to you then? The new episodes drop irregularly anyway. It's not like they'll suddenly be releasing them every other Friday instead of every other Thursday.

"I'm not getting a benefit, therefore NO ONE should!"

phantom_power

I think the point is, and I am not sure I agree completely, that the benefit isn't really a benefit to the payers, more a detriment to those that don't. The podcast is ready when it is ready. They aren't going to rush to put it out a day early for the $5 crew so what they will do in reality is delay it a day for everyone else. It doesn't really bother me but that is the reality I imagine

DrGreggles

That may be the point, but it's a shit point.
The podcast doesn't have a regular release date, so the shit point is also moot.

No one is really getting it a day earlier or a day later.
Patreons will get it on the day it's available to them, non-Patreons will get it on the day it's available to them.

Some people just like moaning.

daf

It's not too bad, I think - They could have made an exclusive extra podcast ONLY available to the $5 gang. 

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on February 12, 2019, 11:19:26 AM
They could have made an exclusive extra podcast ONLY available to the $5 gang.

Sounds good to me!
Another Q&A though, rather than the full pod.

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 12, 2019, 02:33:33 PM
Sounds good to me!
Another Q&A though, rather than the full pod.

Still waiting for the Bands Making Neil Kulkarni a Sandwich Invitational Tournament bonus podcast.

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2019, 08:31:19 AM
I think the point is, and I am not sure I agree completely, that the benefit isn't really a benefit to the payers, more a detriment to those that don't. The podcast is ready when it is ready. They aren't going to rush to put it out a day early for the $5 crew so what they will do in reality is delay it a day for everyone else. It doesn't really bother me but that is the reality I imagine

Al's already said this will mean he has to  work quicker on the edit to make sure these can be available earlier. So what it essentially means is those of us paying the extra are rewarded by Al giving up his free time to ensure the episode is ready a day earlier than he'd normally take to do the edit.

And presumably the extra income will make editing quicker because there will be fewer microphone glitches to edit out therefore the $5 subscribers really are earning that extra day's privilege as a result of the investment.

The Roofdog

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 12, 2019, 06:17:26 AM
"I'm not getting a benefit, therefore NO ONE should!"

For fuck's sake, I already said I'm probably going to increase anyway, it's obvious what I'm saying, I just disagree with this particular patreon tactic.

Anyway I bloody love this podcast and will continue to support it so I promise this my last word on the subject.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 12, 2019, 10:26:50 PM
For fuck's sake, I already said I'm probably going to increase anyway, it's obvious what I'm saying, I just disagree with this particular patreon tactic.

Apparently not!

Custard

Taylor likening Sting to a spilled urine sample, darkening and ruining everything around him, is one of the funniest things I've ever heard

iamcoop

I liked Al referring to late period UB40 as "Jahwaddywaddy"

Nelson

Quote from: iamcoop on February 14, 2019, 03:59:05 PM
I liked Al referring to late period UB40 as "Jahwaddywaddy"
That was shortly after Taylor's lovely line "Bergerac Meets Rockers Uptown". A fine one-two.

DrGreggles

New episode this week!

Lovely Lady Sarah Bee is on, and it's "a year we haven't done yet".
88? Bros doc chat?

Didn't he say Neil was on as well? I'm hoping that means he's getting to let rip on Oasis.

non capisco

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on February 19, 2019, 07:52:40 PM
Didn't he say Neil was on as well? I'm hoping that means he's getting to let rip on Oasis.

Oh please yes.

Al's also confirmed that the episode is full of bile and probably going to be the longest one so far.