Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Exactly. 2000 is a very different chart culture than 1970-1984 and needs a different analysis, so the podcast becomes a different beast to reflect that.

Sarah and Neil is also a very different combo than, say, Taylor and Simon, and this particular era is acutely dark for them personally as their chosen careers were in jeopardy.

I think Al gets his age wrong for the start of 2000 (says he was 32 at the start of the new century but he was born in 1968). Unless I misheard.

iamcoop

This isn't a complaint at all because I love this podcast dearly but why only release it early to higher tier patreons? Wouldn't it make more sense to release the extra content (the interview eps) to the higher tier and allow early access to the regular episodes to all patreons as everyone's gonna get them shortly anyway?

This is really directed at myself cos I could've sworn I'd upped myself to $5 but I turns out I haven't and now I'm at work and don't have the time to fanny about changing my Patreon details :(

DrGreggles

Quote from: iamcoop on February 22, 2019, 11:00:02 AM
This is really directed at myself cos I could've sworn I'd upped myself to $5 but I turns out I haven't

Upping the monthly payment doesn't change the tier you're in. You have to manually select it to do that.

iamcoop

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 22, 2019, 11:06:35 AM
Upping the monthly payment doesn't change the tier you're in. You have to manually select it to do that.

Aww ffs maaaan :(

Crabwalk

It's being released to everyone today anyway.

SteveDave

Looking forward to this.

I'd love for them to do more "later" episodes where no-one's got any emotional attachment and (potentially) could be hearing/seeing the songs for the first time.

iamcoop

It's fine, I got it, I was being thick with Patreon. I was being greedy cos I wanted it for my commute home.

Quote from: iamcoop on February 22, 2019, 11:00:02 AM
This isn't a complaint at all because I love this podcast dearly but why only release it early to higher tier patreons? Wouldn't it make more sense to release the extra content (the interview eps) to the higher tier and allow early access to the regular episodes to all patreons as everyone's gonna get them shortly anyway?

It's probably because Al only thought of it spur of the moment to reward people who'd upped their pledge already rather than a thought out in advance tier structure. Also I suppose because people do get the episode a day later no-one on Patreon is really punished for not being on the higher tier, you just have to wait 24 hours. Whereas if they switched bonus eps to higher tier people some Patreons may feel hard done by and pressured to shift? I'm on the patreon for a Hammer films podcast as well and I quite like what they do - if you sign up to their Patreon you get an extra episode each month focusing on the Amicus film, but every second month they cover a British horror film selected by a higher tier pledger. Something like that would be good on Chart Music, not TOTP episodes maybe but higher tiers could select a music documentary or an episode of a different music show for them to cover.

****SPOILER****

Wow, Neil is naming names here (Mark Sutherland in particular) and calling them cunts.

This cunt: http://www.musicweek.com/user/read/99944

sweeper

Quote from: thraxx on February 22, 2019, 12:19:16 AM
Thanks for that, things are shite at the moment and I need this podcast.

Soz mate, just messing about.

It's sold gold this episode, well worth the wait, trust me.

Neomod

Excellent, the 'Kings Reach Towers Babylon' episode. Fascinating stuff.

Phil_A

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 22, 2019, 11:52:43 AM
****SPOILER****

Wow, Neil is naming names here (Mark Sutherland in particular) and calling them cunts.

This cunt: http://www.musicweek.com/user/read/99944

Gah, I got confused for a moment and thought that was Mark Beaumont. "About time," I thought.

dr beat

Oh Beaumont gets mentioned all right, albeit all too fleetingly...

Crabwalk

Yes the Marks get a well-deserved coating down. I could've listened to them raging about that regime for another hour, I must say.

non capisco

KULK SMASH!

It's a thrilling listen. You don't have to be a music journalist who wrote for a specific publication at a specific time to empathise hard with Neil and Sarah's bitter memorialising on this episode, I'm sure a lot of us have at some point worked at companies we've seen changing gradually around us and then coming to the realisation that you don't fit in there any more. I felt for Neil at the end when he said spilling it all out hadn't even been that cathartic and he wasn't soothed.

All that AND Al mentioning the "HA! HA! Chinese spare ribs!" Skips advert. King of podcasts, worth every penny.

Nelson

https://web.archive.org/web/20000816190306/http://www.melodymaker.co.uk/

Look at the readers' poll, top right

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on February 22, 2019, 08:21:24 PM
It's a thrilling listen. You don't have to be a music journalist who wrote for a specific publication at a specific time to empathise hard with Neil and Sarah's bitter memorialising on this episode, I'm sure a lot of us have at some point worked at companies we've seen changing gradually around us and then coming to the realisation that you don't fit in there any more. I felt for Neil at the end when he said spilling it all out hadn't even been that cathartic and he wasn't soothed.

After the first hour of bitter MM chat, I did worry slightly that some listeners might find it all a bit too self-indulgent, but you're absolutely right - I think most people will be able to relate to their anguish. Inept employers fucking up a business, alienating their customers and mistreating their employees happens in all walks of life.

I can also confirm that the clueless Mark Sutherland is a deeply intimidating man with no interpersonal skills. Sarah and Neil both mentioned his creepy habit of suddenly looming up behind you, which is something I personally experienced during my time freelancing for MM in those dark, dying days. He almost seemed to thrive on making his writers feel uncomfortable.

Anyway, hats off to them both for being so honest and absolutely nailing what went wrong with MM (and modern culture generally). Neil's closing words in this episode are actually quite heartbreaking.

I think TOTP had an almost impossible remit by that point because the charts themselves were fucked, with records going it at #1 then sliding down the chart. It could only become just another music show because the idea of a 'structured' chart run had gone and TOTP was catching songs that were already dying.

Today the problem would be the opposite: the charts are a fabrication based on streaming data and have no credibility.

Brundle-Fly

jamiefairlie

Not my cup of tea this one I'm afraid. 2000 is just yesterday as far as I'm concerned and the music and culture is shit. When you find yourself vehemently defending Craig David, I think you maybe should rethink your position.

Also think Neil and Sarah are my least favourite contributors. Maybe it's because they're younger but I can't get on the same page as them a lot of the time, whereas I find myself usually agreeing with the others.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 23, 2019, 02:29:52 AM
Not my cup of tea this one I'm afraid. 2000 is just yesterday as far as I'm concerned and the music and culture is shit. When you find yourself vehemently defending Craig David, I think you maybe should rethink your position.

Also think Neil and Sarah are my least favourite contributors. Maybe it's because they're younger but I can't get on the same page as them a lot of the time, whereas I find myself usually agreeing with the others.

Ach! 

Fuck'all changes.

Neil's the same age as Taylor, Sarah is the youngest by about 6 years I think.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

They didn't vehemently defend Craig David, they said he was 'alright' while making a wider point about the narrow-minded, borderline racist orthodoxy of white indie music journalism at the turn of the 21st century and its dire influence on the sort of boring cunts who think Noel Gallagher is some sort of keeping it real genius.

Also, I dunno how old you are, but Neil and Sarah are in their early to mid forties.

Custard

Visceral stuff about the death throes of the Melody Maker. Absolute gold

DrGreggles

I think I bailed from MM in 1998/99, as something rotten had noticeably set in.
Wasn't aware of all the behind the scenes politics, but it had definitely stopped being fun to read.
Judging from the readership numbers that Neil mentioned it seems that I wasn't alone.

dr beat

Yeah I think I bailed around the same time, I googled Melody Maker covers 2000 and I don't recall buying any of them. It made for grim viewing though.

Neomod

That episode definitely trailed off in the second half. Not really the team's fault as they were hamstrung by a relatively uninteresting TOTP.

Paul Draper eh.. tut tut.

dr beat

That '50 ways...alternative nation...' piece looks like it was written by an algorithm.