Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 01, 2019, 11:57:29 PM
Of course Daphne and Celeste are great.
They were terrific fun to start with (I loved how much they took the piss), but now their songs are actually decent too.

Lou Reed at 0:28 and (properly) Servalan in a red latex dress at 2:06 - what's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98h4HQUaWo

dr beat

Another special q&a coming up for the Patreon pop-crazed youngsters, this time with Sarah and Neil. I'm hoping for more end-of-the-MM type stuff.

The email was a bit sudden - "they are online now" - and I'm not sure why we didn't get any notice like we did last time.

My questions might have arrived too late.

You're fine. The "online now" stuff was to go alongside the photo of half of ABBA pretending to take questions like they're on Going Live or summit.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: studpuppet on February 28, 2019, 10:11:27 AM
I listened to the latest one and have only one observation:
If you say out loud 'I know how to swear properly', then you probably don't, and every 'fuck' you utter clangs like an anvil falling on a solid steel floor (particularly when you awkwardly shoehorn a multitude of them into the next three sentences after you say it).

It's like they're, and Sarah Bee in particular seem to be using it as a replacement for ermh. No art, no variety, without thought.

It's almost like an American swearing.

Ooh, what a bitch!

DrGreggles

The CM team seem very good at swearing to me, so well fucking done to them cunts on that.

My favourite swearer of all time is Peter Cook.
Just thought I'd mention it.

daf

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 03, 2019, 11:15:28 AM
My favourite swearer of all time is Peter Cook.

Doesn't sound that rude to me! *

- - - - - - -
* ("Peter Cock"? - Ed.)

Rev+

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 01, 2019, 12:49:41 PM
(D & C & Piss @ Reading)
I used to post on a different forum where one poster would occasionally boast that he had been in the crowd that day, gleefully joining in with the piss bottle-throwing. I always used to read those posts and think: "Cunt".

I was in the crowd that day (not flinging anything, mind), and just couldn't wrap my head why it was happening.  Alright, Daphne and Celeste were a pop act, but they were knowing and cynical enough to be up the alley of people who were also watching bands like Pulp and Ween that weekend.  It's not like the Lighthouse Family were on the main stage. There was a real sense of achievement among the arseholes that they'd been successfully bottled off after two songs, when they were only ever going to perform two songs because that's all they had at that point

They ain't real man, they ain't real.  Later on, Slipknot would take to the stage.  Masked, aggressive, bigged-up by the music press as a terrifying proposition, the lead bloke strode out a delivered a grave pronouncement:  'woooooo, what's up Reading?  We love you guys!'  That cunt should have been bottled off - commit to your schtick or fuck off.

DrGreggles

I was at Glastonbury when loads of people were pelting the singer from Cast with mud.
Most of it was missing him, causing him to say "At least I'm good at writing songs, you lot are shit at throwing mud".
At which point some mud splatted straight into his bollocks.
He was wearing white jeans.

To be fair, it did at least cause them to finish their set sooner.

gilbertharding

Bit tired of the Melody Maker stuff. As someone who decided in 1988 I was an NME reader - only buying Melody Maker occasionally if I had some unexpected time to kill (in the launderette or somewhere), I found its sense of humour impenetrable (Cretinous Useless Negligable Tosser of the Week! Ah ha ha ha!!), and the 'muso' stuff in the back pages symbolically boring.

When it 'went shit' after the mid 90s, trying too hard to make Romo happen I went off it... mind you, by then I'd also mainly abandoned the NME (what was supposed to have happened to The Vines?) - but at least they never became a NuMetal fanzine, and the NME had Destiny's Child on the cover in 2001, unironically.

Na - I know they worked there but MM was bad before Mark Sutherland took it down.

Chollis

Why is this Neil chap shouting? Does he understand how microphones work?

DrGreggles

Recording the next episode today, according to Pricey.

Finally got to listen to the latest episode and it's the first one that I've given up on halfway through. After nearly 2 hours we'd only got to the first song and I was just sick of hearing about the demise of the MM.

Rolf Lundgren

I quite liked a lot of the MM chat which felt particularly cathartic for Neil but they did keep looking through a Melody Maker shaped prism for the rest of the episode. I hope they do more 'newer' ones. It was a nice change with acts they'd never talked about before.

Custard

I imagine/hope the next one is Taylor and Pricey

The only one I don't really like is Dave Stubbs. He's a bit bland and boring to listen to, and sounds like Andrew Collins, who I also don't like

DrGreggles

I like Stubbsy. He's a lot dryer than the others, so I've only picked up on some of his best lines on 2nd listen.
They're all great though.

non capisco

Yeah, Stubbsy's great. "Don't have a cheepy", the stripper story and OF COURSE "Seven days jankers!" to name but three. Come on, Chart Music gold! I'm happy with any combination of any of the regulars these days.

phantom_power

His book on Krautrock is great as well

Chollis

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 13, 2019, 08:38:25 PM
I hope they do more 'newer' ones.

Same. Although a lot of the music is pap, 2000 for example was very much a time when young Chollis would've been watching Top of the Pops and aware of the Top40. The stuff from the 70s is mostly lost on me.

SteveDave

And you a) won't get so many "repeats" of bands and b) in some cases they'll be listening to music without any prejudices against the act.

There's a danger of a lot more Robbie Williams though.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on March 14, 2019, 02:08:10 PM
There's a danger of a lot more Robbie Williams though.

I'll take Williams over Keating any day.

The problem is finding later TOTP episodes.  They only found the last one from the mate of one of the performers who had it on VHS.  Guess we have to have a lot of pre-1988 Chart Musics before BBC4 catches up.  Not really complaining like, the podcast's great.

Epic Bisto

Anything from 1990-1993 would a good choice.  You never know, they might end up with the infamous Wedding Present "Kennedy" episode.

Rolf Lundgren

When Neil said that watching the one from 2000 was like watching the music of now I understood the point because there are many more similarities between 1999 and 2019 than there were between say 1979 and 1999 but if a 25 year old was reviewing it, it would have seemed much more dated.

More episodes from this era might emphasise that point but yeah can't imagine there were too many people recording TOTP on a Friday night in the early 2000's.

Well Al has said the next episode will be another year they haven't done before so could be another newer episode.

Jockice

Quote from: Epic Bisto on March 14, 2019, 06:14:36 PM
Anything from 1990-1993 would a good choice.  You never know, they might end up with the infamous Wedding Present "Kennedy" episode.

Brassneck surely.

Epic Bisto

I've been complaining to him about the lack of 1971-72 episodes but I might be a lone voice.

It does seem wrong to me though given that those years were formative of the future TOTP template and were an era to themselves - debuts of Rod, Elton, Bowie, Roxy, and before glam became taken over by brickies using make-up to get laid.

non capisco

^ They're mostly all wiped/lost, aren't they?

Mostly but the surviving ones have been listed upthread and there are a few that CM could do.