Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Checking out some of the B&W episodes, I'd love to hear the CMP reaction to what happens 30 seconds into this episode (with an appropriate burst of hellfire afterwards):

https://youtu.be/-dXgKa1PUAs?t=25

'kin hell!

non capisco

^ There's one b&w episode I saw where the audio only survives for the acts and Savile's links play out in silence. In one of them he's wearing a full face balaclava and makes a lunging motion at a female audience member. Not pleasant.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 13, 2019, 08:38:25 PM
I quite liked a lot of the MM chat which felt particularly cathartic for Neil but they did keep looking through a Melody Maker shaped prism for the rest of the episode.
I concur. It was food for thought when they were discussing the way Craig David was treated at the time (and a mild shock to find out he was still only a teenager at the time) but then they just kept making the same points for the rest of the episode.

This was the first episode I've listened to and, considering the absurd length of it and the fact that I only tuned in for the chat about Mansun, it held my attention very well. Speaking of whom; it was nice to hear them get a positive response, but I was a bit surprised at how little the hosts seemed to know about them. I know they weren't massive, especially after Six, but I got in to the band purely through mainstream radio and telly, so they can't have been completely obscure.

Rev+

Quote from: famethrowa on March 16, 2019, 08:16:39 AM
Checking out some of the B&W episodes, I'd love to hear the CMP reaction to what happens 30 seconds into this episode (with an appropriate burst of hellfire afterwards):

'kin hell!

Immediately followed by the chart run-down, with notable entries at 26 and 2.  It's like a lost broadcast from hell's own channel.

Pauline Walnuts

Yeah, but Blodwyn Pig? Progtastic!

DrGreggles

#38 coming on Tuesday for the PCYs!

Al:

"As it will be too big to upload here In one go, you'll probably be given the option to download a two-part version directly from here, or download the full version via WeTransfer. Sit tight, listen keenly, and stay Pop-Crazed."

DrGreggles

Doesn't really affect me this time (as I'll be saving it up for in-flight entertainment later in the week), but WeTransfer worked fine last time.

Chriddof

Quote from: famethrowa on March 16, 2019, 08:16:39 AM

'kin hell!

Watching that was basically experiencing the worst jump scare imaginable. Savile and scary old 16mm cutout animation, together at last...

famethrowa

Quote from: Chriddof on March 17, 2019, 04:05:29 PM
Watching that was basically experiencing the worst jump scare imaginable. Savile and scary old 16mm cutout animation, together at last...

It makes me think of those fake fire flames in the Devo Beautiful World video. The whole intro is a nightmare of zombie dancers, Brakhage flashes and weird cuts. I'm scared

non capisco

They also did this visual effect in the 1970 episodes where the presenter would fade up and materialise out of nowhere for their links, which is fucking disquieting when it's Jimmy Savile. Less of a groovy new visual effect and more the astral travels of an inescapable omnipresent nightmare lord.

dr beat

New un up for the super keen PCYs.  It's a dark one, apparently.

non capisco

Quote from: dr beat on March 19, 2019, 01:24:14 PM
New un up for the super keen PCYs.  It's a dark one, apparently.

I'm guessing from Al's brief description and lack of presenter in the accompanying photo that the stinking, jangling white-haired elephant in the room is being addressed.

sweeper

Amazing episode! Can't believe it's the last one ever.

iamcoop

Quote from: non capisco on March 19, 2019, 01:36:49 PM
I'm guessing from Al's brief description and lack of presenter in the accompanying photo that the stinking, jangling white-haired elephant in the room is being addressed.

It's a Blackburn fronted one. I'm only an hour in so yet to see whether Savile will make an appearance but there is a lot of talk about general sexual conduct at the BBC in the late 60s/early 70s which gets pretty rank.

Soup Dogg

Only about 45 mins into this one but so far it has taken a turn for the grim and the ghost of Saville does loom over the last 10 mins or so of chat I've heard.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the way they've handled the question at hand so far. I really do think if they're gonna tackle this stuff going forward they should have Sarah on the pod. Tokenism or no, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a woman weighing in on this shit. Certainly Pricey saying that, and I paraphrase, and "it was a different time, not just for the men but the girls too" seems pretty off. The implication that girls in the seventies were more precocious? That girls in later decades who end up fucking DJs or popstars somehow don't have the same misguided belief that they are mature enough?

I dunno. Quite pissed and posting from my phone so I can't really elaborate. Hope the rest of the episode can approach this in a less uncomfortable manner.

It's an uncomfortable reading of a long Rolling Stone piece followed by inadequate analysis of the case of the girl who committed suicide. It's trying to convey empathy for the girl but fails because the three men aged 47-51 are not able to imagine walking in her shoes.

I agree that a Bee/Kulkarni combination would have handled it better.

You could reasonably argue that the pop and fashion industry of that time was trying to convert 14 year olds into adults so it could sell stuff to them (ergo capitalism) and that this combined in a toxic way with the sexual revolution to create sexualized under-16s. Parents were too busy in their private cocoons to notice what their daughters were fantasizing about. TOTP was definitely at the centre of that and guilty as charged IMHO. Blackburn is just odd because he seems less cynical, more idealistic, than the truly predatory characters of the era but if he was having as much sex as he claims, it's hard to believe that he was able to check dates of birth in all cases.

It's also false to isolate the predators and give the rest a free pass because one reason why Savile was able to hide in plain sight is the the non-predators were enjoying the sexual opportunities the predators were creating so would not have wanted a clampdown. Blackburn was part of that opportunism and would have turned a blind eye to Savile if the alternative was a new puritanism.

On the suicide, how was Blackburn able to just keep going after that? It's like how Noel Edmonds just kept going after a guy died rehearsing a stunt for his show, or John Landis just keeping going after an actor two kids were killed on the Twilight Zone set. Egoism and lack of legal liability prevented true self-reflection about how their overall approaches were toxic.

I think because her case was written off as being a fantasy wasn't it? The medical examiner had written she'd died a virgin therefore they were able to say all the claims about stars in her diary were untrue. Which is dangerous territory but it's probably how Blackburn was able to continue unaffected.

I don't think Simon meant that girls were feeling that way then and aren't now, I think he meant that the changing culture that took place in the 60s really took hold in the 70s and girls were feeling that way when they hadn't to such an extent before and there was less awareness of predators. That's how I took it anyway.

On reflection, I retract much of the above. Al has explained why he took this approach and I'm happy with his explanation. It was impossible to discuss this episode without covering the girl's suicide in depth because the aftermath haunts the whole episode, such as Blackburn often only doing the links as voiceover not in shot. Simon's comments about these being the times aren't meant to imply that people behaved worse or more naively then, simply that girls were hitting 14 at a time in history when sex and celebrity were becoming commodified in a new way and this created space for predators to exploit under the cult of celebrity.

Soup Dogg

I'm afraid it's too late for that and everyone involved in this episode has already been cancelled.

DrGreggles

No problems with the episode or how the issues raised by it were dealt with.
A lot of people have been asking why they haven't dealt with any of the 'problem' episodes, well now they have.

Still, Hot Rex eh?

They sort of had before because they've covered Glitter. I'm kind of glad Sarah wasn't there for this one, tbh. While I really like Sarah I think it would be unfair to her if they saved every conversation about this kind of thing for when she's on the podcast. It pushes her into a certain role that I doubt she would want.

Johnboy

I would like to hear Sarah's views on Leaving Neverland

In fact I'd like to hear all five of them discussing Leaving Neverland, ..for hours....with loads of swearing.

Epic Bisto

I thought the whole sordid affair was handled well, especially when you consider that this episode contained a lot of Nonce Sense that just couldn't be dodged (Jacko and that old fatso who used to post on here).

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2019, 02:43:07 PMStill, Hot Rex eh?

Hot Rex.  For fuck's sake.

Stellar #1 though.  Also, the East Of Eden slagging is gonna upset some of the prog heads on here.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 21, 2019, 04:36:36 PM
They sort of had before because they've covered Glitter. I'm kind of glad Sarah wasn't there for this one, tbh. While I really like Sarah I think it would be unfair to her if they saved every conversation about this kind of thing for when she's on the podcast. It pushes her into a certain role that I doubt she would want.

Yeah true, it's really patronizing to treat her like some form of community spokesperson for women and also she is that much younger and so is even further away from knowing the zeitgeist of the day.

In general I find the current preoccupation of younger people today exhuming the corpses of previous times and judging them guilty of all sorts of crimes rather unedifying. It exposes a real smug arrogance that is stomach turning.

Soup Dogg

These aren't exactly invented crimes we're talking about, or a case of "nobody knew better back then".

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Soup Dogg on March 21, 2019, 09:53:09 PM
These aren't exactly invented crimes we're talking about, or a case of "nobody knew better back then".

Right so what's the point of judging from this distance? People weren't more evil then, just different societal norms.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 21, 2019, 11:09:11 PM
Right so what's the point of judging from this distance? People weren't more evil then, just different societal norms.

Yes, let's all forget about the appalling crimes of cunts from the past. What on earth are you talking about?

I think class was important. Not enough people cared about 14 year old working class girls being exploited and abused. I'm not sure they would now either. But that doesn't mean we excuse the nonces who took advantage of these systemic failings.

Savile was evil, no question, but he wasn't alone (Stuart Hall, Cyril Smith...).

Custard

"I'd rather listen to the muffled voices of doctors saying "No, he's gone" - Taylor

Probably the most I've laughed at CM, and that's saying something