Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 21, 2019, 11:34:46 PM
Yes, let's all forget about the appalling crimes of cunts from the past. What on earth are you talking about?

Nobody is forgetting anything, crimes were crimes (if indeed they were even, age of consent changes) but I'm taking about the self righteous way some people tut tut about how women or homosexuals or black people were treated or portrayed, comparing it to 2019 norms, rather than contemporary ones.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 22, 2019, 12:15:03 AM
Nobody is forgetting anything, crimes were crimes (if indeed they were even, age of consent changes) but I'm taking about the self righteous way some people tut tut about how women or homosexuals or black people were treated or portrayed, comparing it to 2019 norms, rather than contemporary ones.

There were plenty of contemporary voices condemning Love Thy Neighbour or Benny Hill at the time, and you can hear the contemporary reaction of Rolling Stone to TOTP on the podcast. Maybe they were following "elite liberal" norms rather than those of the average BBC or ITV viewer but it still means people had choices as to which norms to choose. You could educate yourself to be a compassionate human and not exploit girls and women.

Age of consent has not changed since 1971 as far as I'm aware except for gay sex. Below 16 was a crime then and now, and a worse crime the bigger the age gap.

And this wasn't confined to 1971. Bill Wyman was at it in the 80s and it's a scandal that he got a free pass, essentially (IIRC) because his underage partner was a seller for the tabloids, which themselves were pushing "barely legal" page 3 photos.

I love all of the contributors, but I've come the conclusion that Taylor is definitely my favourite. Every now and again he gets a little bit too eeyore-ish but his observations and insights are absolutely quality and his turn of phrase makes me remember why I loved his stuff when he wrote for the MM. If I'm laughing out loud while I'm walking down the road listening to CM, a lot of the time it'll be because of something he's said, someone give that man a job.

Neomod

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 22, 2019, 11:56:26 AM
I love all of the contributors, but I've come the conclusion that Taylor is definitely my favourite. Every now and again he gets a little bit too eeyore-ish but his observations and insights are absolutely quality and his turn of phrase makes me remember why I loved his stuff when he wrote for the MM. If I'm laughing out loud while I'm walking down the road listening to CM, a lot of the time it'll be because of something he's said, someone give that man a job.

Indeed. He needs a washing machine for gawd's sake.

daf

This may be worth a future pod -

Someone's uploaded the full un-broadcast pilot made during the 1980 strike :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZKtLX0woWxg-RS5k8qxbk7g2uZbx4DcK/view

(Warning : contains traces of BA Robertson)

gilbertharding

Note to Simon Price, if he's reading: Good spot that the car in the 'Henry Ford' video is not Bessie - but it's an actual Model T Ford  rather than a Siva Edwardian.

Crabwalk

I appreciated the download link to the full TOTP episode in the email today. Might get stuck into that tonight, having finished the podcast. Can the photos in the chart rundown live up to their descriptions though?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 22, 2019, 06:11:59 PM
Can the photos in the chart rundown live up to their descriptions though?

Not sure "Hank Marvin looks like he's just been told his balls have got a week to live" can ever be beaten though.

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 22, 2019, 06:11:59 PM
I appreciated the download link to the full TOTP episode in the email today. Might get stuck into that tonight, having finished the podcast. Can the photos in the chart rundown live up to their descriptions though?

Al's been tweeting screenshots. They really do.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 22, 2019, 11:56:26 AM

Yeah, he's going the funniest, most insightful and best prepared. Him and Simon are a great duo.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on March 22, 2019, 10:48:50 AM
There were plenty of contemporary voices condemning Love Thy Neighbour or Benny Hill at the time,

If we are talking mid-seventies I don't recall any backlash to these shows outside of the Mary Whitehouse brigade.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 25, 2019, 01:40:59 PM
If we are talking mid-seventies I don't recall any backlash to these shows outside of the Mary Whitehouse brigade.

But that was the old guard objecting on grounds of smut/swearing/permissiveness. Feminism/anti-racism was gathering pace, and plenty people on the left found these shows objectionable for more progressive reasons (in the case of Hill) or arguably well intentioned but unforgivably naive and badly executed (LtN).

jamiefairlie

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on March 26, 2019, 02:23:02 PM
But that was the old guard objecting on grounds of smut/swearing/permissiveness. Feminism/anti-racism was gathering pace, and plenty people on the left found these shows objectionable for more progressive reasons (in the case of Hill) or arguably well intentioned but unforgivably naive and badly executed (LtN).

There was the start of that but it was mostly limited to student/miltant left groups. It had not penetrated the mainstream in any way.

dr beat

God I love this podcast to bits, but Christ its got me weirdly obsessed with a lot of old shit.  I'm listening for the umpteenth time to their discussion of their Dooleys, and I'd be lying if I denied I've spent more than a few drunken evenings pouring over the likes of them, and Reggae Like It Used to Be, Two Man Sound et al, treating it all with a weird mix of disdain and fascination.

My similar weird obsession with the band Sailor actually pre-dates this, after I heard Danny Baker's anecdote about seeing a reconstituted Sailor as the turn at a function he was at, complete with an encore where they got a cardboard cut-out boat, stuck their hands through the 'port-holes' and made it 'sail'.  On Youtube its possible to trace the four seasons of Sailor, from their totp appearances, then seeing different line-ups in slightly reduced circumstances, through to their 2008 appearance on what appears to be the Bavarian equivalent of Summertime Special where they appeared to have recruited former Derby County, Liverpool and England defender Mark Wright as their lead singer.

Edit: That said, I have to thank them for Paul Davidson 'Midnight Rider'.

DrGreggles

Quote from: dr beat on March 27, 2019, 10:10:39 AM
God I love this podcast to bits, but Christ its got me weirdly obsessed with a lot of old shit.  I'm listening for the umpteenth time to their discussion of their Dooleys, and I'd be lying if I denied I've spent more than a few drunken evenings pouring over the likes of them, and Reggae Like It Used to Be, Two Man Sound et al, treating it all with a weird mix of disdain and fascination.

I think I've watched that at least once a week since that episode came out.

dr beat

Yes, to be fair Que Tal America is the gift that keeps on giving

famethrowa

Quote from: dr beat on March 27, 2019, 11:38:31 AM

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 27, 2019, 10:15:03 AM

I really don't get the Two Man Sound thing. Sure, Pipou is gormless and shambolically funny, but the best thing out of all the CMP episodes, really? It's just cheesy cabaret crap. I think I'm missing some kind of culture gene.

DrGreggles

Quote from: famethrowa on March 27, 2019, 12:40:47 PM
I really don't get the Two Man Sound thing. Sure, Pipou is gormless and shambolically funny, but the best thing out of all the CMP episodes, really? It's just cheesy cabaret crap. I think I'm missing some kind of culture gene.

It's not the best thing from the pod, but it's an amazing TOTP performance that I'd never seen before.

It's surely an example of why the podcast was created - to uncover oddball performances lost to history. You could argue that you personally prefer songs that CM gave serious musical analysis, such as "Too Nice To Talk To" by The Beat, or serious discussions of Jacko, Jonathan King or Melody Maker, but there's room for all these elements. Do they always make a coherent whole? No, I think it's a lucky dip rather than a format where everything fits like a jigsaw puzzle, and I fear repetition is imminent, but even if they stopped now they'd have posted around 100 hours of treasure.

Neomod

Can someone who's watched the episode confirm that the theme to Get Carter was indeed played in the link before Rod and the Faces?

The film came out in 71 but it still feels like two worlds colliding

Crabwalk

Durance Vile

The highlight of this episode for me was Al's description of the hapless Mixtures as "Shakin' Mungo". That's desolation, right there, that is.

Having said that, it's still taken me 48 years to realise that the Pushbike Song wasn't actually by Mungo Jerry. But that makes it even worse.

Johnboy

what about the Shirley Bassey songs mentioned in Popscene for this episode?  https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/popscene/1971-t8674.html

I'm not getting as much of a whack out of it anymore, but I think it's me not them.  Found the recitation of contemporary press a bit tedious

famethrowa

Quote from: Durance Vile on March 28, 2019, 08:33:27 PM
The highlight of this episode for me was Al's description of the hapless Mixtures as "Shakin' Mungo". That's desolation, right there, that is.

Having said that, it's still taken me 48 years to realise that the Pushbike Song wasn't actually by Mungo Jerry. But that makes it even worse.

Now I don't wanna toot my plastic trumpet here, but I know the drummer who played on The Pushbike Song and the bass player from Shaddap Your Face. What a life

Durance Vile

I'm seeing a very strong resemblance here between Gerry Monroe and Kinky John Fowler from "The Club".

Epic Bisto

Quote from: Durance Vile on March 29, 2019, 09:12:07 PM
I'm seeing a very strong resemblance here between Gerry Monroe and Kinky John Fowler from "The Club".

HAHA!!!  The description of The Fantastics' picture ("If ISIS had a sense of humour") was another laugh out loud moment.

Regarding what Dr Beat said on the previous page, this podcast has really infected my brain.  At work today, I had to stop myself from laughing out loud when going through paperwork and seeing someone had the surname 'Peebles' (cue the instant mental image of Paul Bearer or Mike from Spaced).  Also, I've made it my quest to use the phrase "Hold on, here comes jism" whenever giving positive feedback.

Durance Vile

"Whittaker's World Of Music" is a good reminder of the sort of people who were never off the fucking telly when I was a kid in the early 70s, and then quietly dropped off the radar: Whittaker himself, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones (although he reappeared 20-odd years later), Lulu, Anita Harris, Hank Marvin, Joe Brown. There was whole gang of them.

When I came to Germany in the early 90s, I was surprised to find that Whittaker was a massive star here because they still did (and even today still do) the kind of Saturday night variety show where that lot prospered. You could see Smokie every Saturday on prime-time TV every week, and as far as I know you still can.

Quote from: Johnboy on March 28, 2019, 11:15:13 PM
what about the Shirley Bassey songs mentioned in Popscene for this episode?  https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/popscene/1971-t8674.html

Blackburn's link clearly goes straight from Jackson 5 to Ringo so maybe Shirley was edited out? They already had two Faces album tracks in the episode.

This site omits the Bassey tracks:

http://totp1970-1975.blogspot.com/2015/02/29th-april-1971.html

OTOH her 'Breakfast In Bed' performance was shown on TOTP2.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

gilbertharding

Little bit aggrieved with the general reaction to The Faces being on there. OK, perhaps 'the Album Slot' is a misguided direction for TotP to be going down. And perhaps Richmond is a bit of a downer... and perhaps there were one or two deserving singles which were passed over...

But painting The Faces as Boring Old Farts, for old men and students who should be settling for the Old Grey Whistle Test is a travesty.

I don't know what else there was in this particular chart, but the best selling singles of 1971 are a massive spread of artists (Benny Hill, Clive Dunn, Perry Como, Bay City Rollers) with Rod Stewart at Number 2, George Harrison is at 4 and the Rolling Stones are 21... I think he's confused what the audience for these artists is now, with what it was then - when Ronnie Lane was 25 years old. Same age as Noddy Holder, a year older than Marc Bolan.