Author Topic: Chart Music Podcast  (Read 98001 times)

Re: Chart Music Podcast
« Reply #1860 on: April 03, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »
I like a lot of The Faces stuff, but the album slot was a shit idea for TOTP - and Richmond was a shit choice of song to perform.
This was essentially an OGWT performance by them on a different show.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1861 on: April 03, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
Perhaps they should have done Maybe I'm Amazed instead - which had been a non-charting single a few months earlier.

Trying to see who else was chosen for the Album Slot in other weeks. Neil Diamond (who had the 63rd, 78th and 88th best selling singles of 1971), Badfinger (62nd), Elton John (87th), Buffy Sainte-Marie (43)... perhaps the Album Slot was an attempt to leaven the stodge of Dawn (number 1), New Seekers (9th), and Judy Collins (10th).

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1971.shtml

I admit there is an archetypal OGWT band, but it's NOT a binary split between them and TotP. It's obvious that the singles chart was in a bit of a fallow period at the time - and very few of the Top 100 UK singles for the year would have been interesting to actual young people at the time.

I still think they're looking at it from here, not there.

« Reply #1862 on: April 03, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »
2 songs in a row though?

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1863 on: April 03, 2019, 01:27:37 PM »
Looking at the listings, The Album Section (what is it called?) sometimes had three songs, sometimes by three different artists, but often had two songs by the same people. 

OK - I won't try to defend Richmond, or the fact that they had two songs on. But come on: McGuinness Flint and Tony Christie were singles acts in 1971.

« Reply #1864 on: April 03, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
Never mind what Pricey and Taylor said, and I like the Faces as well, but "Richmond" was fucking awful whatever way you slice it. There's a thin line between refreshingly harmless arsing about (which was the Faces' forte) and wasting ten minutes of valuable ToTP time smelling your own farts on something which you hadn't even practised, which was what they were doing there.

« Reply #1865 on: April 16, 2019, 08:59:20 PM »
We must be due a new one (26 days since the last) although I see that one every month has become the pattern (usually the last week)

« Reply #1866 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »
We must be due a new one (26 days since the last) although I see that one every month has become the pattern (usually the last week)

I think the Q&A pod has just been recorded too, so Al's probably on an edit-a-thon.