Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:42:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I like a lot of The Faces stuff, but the album slot was a shit idea for TOTP - and Richmond was a shit choice of song to perform.
This was essentially an OGWT performance by them on a different show.

gilbertharding

Perhaps they should have done Maybe I'm Amazed instead - which had been a non-charting single a few months earlier.

Trying to see who else was chosen for the Album Slot in other weeks. Neil Diamond (who had the 63rd, 78th and 88th best selling singles of 1971), Badfinger (62nd), Elton John (87th), Buffy Sainte-Marie (43)... perhaps the Album Slot was an attempt to leaven the stodge of Dawn (number 1), New Seekers (9th), and Judy Collins (10th).

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1971.shtml

I admit there is an archetypal OGWT band, but it's NOT a binary split between them and TotP. It's obvious that the singles chart was in a bit of a fallow period at the time - and very few of the Top 100 UK singles for the year would have been interesting to actual young people at the time.

I still think they're looking at it from here, not there.

DrGreggles

2 songs in a row though?

gilbertharding

Looking at the listings, The Album Section (what is it called?) sometimes had three songs, sometimes by three different artists, but often had two songs by the same people. 

OK - I won't try to defend Richmond, or the fact that they had two songs on. But come on: McGuinness Flint and Tony Christie were singles acts in 1971.

Durance Vile

Never mind what Pricey and Taylor said, and I like the Faces as well, but "Richmond" was fucking awful whatever way you slice it. There's a thin line between refreshingly harmless arsing about (which was the Faces' forte) and wasting ten minutes of valuable ToTP time smelling your own farts on something which you hadn't even practised, which was what they were doing there.

We must be due a new one (26 days since the last) although I see that one every month has become the pattern (usually the last week)

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 16, 2019, 08:59:20 PM
We must be due a new one (26 days since the last) although I see that one every month has become the pattern (usually the last week)

I think the Q&A pod has just been recorded too, so Al's probably on an edit-a-thon.

justin_bennett

New one up on Patreon - 4 hours 45 fucking mins.

Just coming to post about that. They dropped a surprise one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Oh man, what a bank holiday treat!

DrGreggles

It's moments like this that make being one of Simon Bates' High-Flying Cats worthwhile.
My Horrible Histories marathon will just have to wait.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 22, 2019, 11:29:40 AM
It's moments like this that make being one of Simon Bates' High-Flying Cats worthwhile.
My Horrible Histories marathon will just have to wait.

I was planning on going for a walk in the sunshine, but sod that. Gorging on an almost five-hour episode of CM is a far healthier pursuit. I'll open some windows and stroll around the house while listening. Voila, the best of both worlds.

It's the greatest ever chart year IMHO so a double treat.

DrGreggles

Ooh, Taylor's about to talk about Toyah.

*fetches large drink and plumps cushion*

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 22, 2019, 11:41:36 AM
I was planning on going for a walk in the sunshine, but sod that. Gorging on an almost five-hour episode of CM is a far healthier pursuit. I'll open some windows and stroll around the house while listening. Voila, the best of both worlds.

Can't you just record it to cassette, pop it in your walkman and combine the two?

I only own one cassette, a Toyah album, and there's no way I'm taping over that.

DrGreggles

Fantastic episode.
4 hours and 45 minutes flew by.

dr beat

non capisco

"You couldn't even walk to the shops without getting a punch in the face...by the Weetabix."

Top episode. Looking forward to the video playlist for this one if it features the Toyah documentary that so sparked their loathing.

Jockice

What do they say about The Undertones then? Just out of interest.

dr beat

Undertones as a whole get a lot of praise, although Feargal Sharkey (and his solo career) gets a wee kicking.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Jockice on April 23, 2019, 01:41:23 PM
What do they say about The Undertones then? Just out of interest.

They suck them off.

The Podcast is available to listen to now, even for us tighter than a gnat's chuff cheapskates.

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/2019/04/23/39-may-21st-1981-grill-equals-fanny/

Quote from: non capisco on April 23, 2019, 11:04:39 AM
"You couldn't even walk to the shops without getting a punch in the face...by the Weetabix."

Top episode. Looking forward to the video playlist for this one if it features the Toyah documentary that so sparked their loathing.

Yep, it's on there.

Jockice

Pauline Walnuts

Well, quite, just so long as they didn't try to slip in 'The Sin of Pride' as well when we were gobblin' em off.

Epic Bisto

Christ, that TOTP episode was packed with some great stuff wasn't it (and also Toyah)?  I had to stop it when it got to Toyah just so I could fully immerse myself in the pure and justified hate on the way home from work.  They literally stopped when I was only a few doors away.

Also: "DLT should comb his face with a bullet."

The Toyah documentary is every bit as excruciating as they described. I sort of feel like cutting her some slack on account of her being a young person spouting pretentious, self-involved bullshit, which is what young people do, but she doesn't come across as endearingly gauche or anything like that. She's a blatant phony, an abject careerist. That wouldn't really matter if she had anything to back it up with, but her music was utter shite.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 23, 2019, 05:25:18 PM
The Toyah documentary is every bit as excruciating as they described. I sort of feel like cutting her some slack on account of her being a young person spouting pretentious, self-involved bullshit, which is what young people do, but she doesn't come across as endearingly gauche or anything like that. She's a blatant phony, an abject careerist. That wouldn't really matter if she had anything to back it up with, but her music was utter shite.

I know she'd stunk out Derek Jarman's Jubilee by the time she had a pop career, but had she stunk out Quadrophenia by then, or not?

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 23, 2019, 05:25:18 PM

She is also a real snotty little cow to interview. Not my words, a former colleague of mine. We both interviewed her at different times for different reasons (and he was a very 'showbizzy' type whereas I'm not) and came to the same conclusion.