Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic Bisto

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 23, 2019, 05:28:30 PM
I know she'd stunk out Derek Jarman's Jubilee by the time she had a pop career, but had she stunk out Quadrophenia by then, or not?

At least Jenny Runacre punched Toyah in the face.  Sadly only in Jubilee and not in real life.

Jockice

She did one of those newspaper questionnaires a few weeks ago (may have been in the Guardian but I can't be bothered to check) and her answer to the 'how do you relax?' question was along the lines of 'I don't even know what the word means! I never relax! Too busy working! All the time!'''

of course those who give that sort of answer are the very worst type of people on earth. Worse than Hitler.

Pauline Walnuts

Toyah's a perfectly ok pop starlette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ASpt_bwaM

Totally hollow, rather drama school and err..  ambitious. Not quite sure why this combination, which is hardly rare, is apparently so terrible in her case.

Just because the kwel kidz said something doesn't mean it's necessary true.

Jockice

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 23, 2019, 06:35:45 PM

Totally hollow, rather drama school and err..  ambitious. Not quite sure why this combination, which is hardly rare, is apparently so terrible in her case.

Because her music was utterly shit, that's why. Apart from Thunder In The Mountains, which I have a strange (but not enormous) affection for.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Her music is awful, though. Utterly awful. No one is taking a 'cool' stance against her, she was always shite.

Loads of hollow, canny, opportunistic people have been responsible for the creation of great pop music. I love bubblegum and ersatz whatnot if it's really good fun. In this particular instance, the artist under review didn't achieve that.

Pauline Walnuts

And being combined with not being very good (Subjective) is also very, very common. Personally I find her disposable Post-punk-pop harmless.

Yes it's punk written by Gyles Brandreth but I don't think she's worthy of being singled out as being the worst thing eva.

gmoney

She should be singled out for Barmy Aunt Boomerang though.

Pauline Walnuts

Oh okey, I admit it, I only fancy her fat arse.

HAPPY NOW?

Johnboy

oh good, it's Neil and Taylor

I think I have a preference for Taylor now out of all of them not least because he's the least inclined to post his every thought on social media

Chart Music: bringing lovebirds together since 2017.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 23, 2019, 07:16:18 PM
And being combined with not being very good (Subjective) is also very, very common. Personally I find her disposable Post-punk-pop harmless.

Yes it's punk written by Gyles Brandreth but I don't think she's worthy of being singled out as being the worst thing eva.

I thought "It's A Mythtewee" was actually ok, typical kind of superior pop hit of the time. The rest is shit though.

Pop starlets aren't usually convinced that they're in the same league as Siouxsie. 

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 23, 2019, 05:35:22 PM
She is also a real snotty little cow to interview. Not my words, a former colleague of mine. We both interviewed her at different times for different reasons (and he was a very 'showbizzy' type whereas I'm not) and came to the same conclusion.

Just listening to the podcast now. It's good. And someone's just referred to the 'snottiness' of her music. So I and my colleague are not alone in thinking she's snotty. Hurrah!

buzby

Ragarding Toyah, it was nice to see Taylor describe her as a 'tenth-rate Hazel O'Connor', even if it was a backhanded compliment, after Stubbs, Price and Al's dismissal of O'Connor in episode 16 (from page 52 of this thread):
Quote from: buzby on January 01, 2019, 09:10:59 PM
I listened to episode 15 again the other day, and the backhanded dismissal of Hazel O'Connor still riles me. I'm not even a particular fan of her music, but the attitude of Al, Stubbs and Price towards her in that episode whiffs of the usual music journalist snobbery and dismissal that used to regularly crop up when I read the NME and Record Mirror back in the 80s and 90s.

The 'Shakin Willcox' gag doesn't even work, as the song they are talking about in the episode beat Toyah's first charting single and top 10 hit (It's a Mystery) into the charts by 6 months.

The comments from Neil and Al during the Teardrop Explodes discussion has reinforced my anti-Patreon donation stance, I'm afraid.

Gary Numan first pressed down the key of a MiniMoog Model D (in the control room of Spaceward Studios during the recording of the Tubeway Army album) , not an EDP Wasp, Taylor.

DrGreggles

Quote from: buzby on April 23, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
The comments from Neil and Al during the Teardrop Explodes discussion has reinforced my anti-Patreon donation stance, I'm afraid.

Yeah, but they've been on Chart Music more than you have.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on April 23, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
Ragarding Toyah, it was nice to see Taylor describe her as a 'tenth-rate Hazel O'Connor', even if it was a backhanded compliment, after Stubbs, Price and Al's dismissal of O'Connor in episode 16 (from page 52 of this thread):

He later in the podcast calls Hazel O'Connor a 10th rate Hazel O'Connor.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 23, 2019, 08:56:09 PM
Just listening to the podcast now. It's good. And someone's just referred to the 'snottiness' of her music. So I and my colleague are not alone in thinking she's snotty. Hurrah!

And now 'cow.' We were ahead of our time.

non capisco

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 23, 2019, 04:10:11 PM
Yep, it's on there.

GET IN! I'm also hoping the horrifying "woman ripping her face off to reveal it's Smokey the Bear" PIF is included.

non capisco

Ha ha, good lord!

Reminded me a bit of the BBC 'Science Fiction Season' advert from around ten years ago that they quickly modified because people were soiling themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XnwUfotamg&frags=pl%2Cwn

Neomod

Kin' ell. Even the paedos got off more lightly than Miss Wilcox.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Neomod on April 24, 2019, 03:29:51 PM
Kin' ell. Even the paedos got off more lightly than Miss Wilcox.

I think everyone* has got off more lightly than Miss Wilcox so far.

*apart from B.A. Cunterson, obviously

Dr Rock

Amazing TOTPs show. Was worried they were going to coat down Kim Wilde, but did not.

I can't get that arsed about Toyah, her rubbishness has never been in question.

Phil_A

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 23, 2019, 05:25:18 PM
The Toyah documentary is every bit as excruciating as they described. I sort of feel like cutting her some slack on account of her being a young person spouting pretentious, self-involved bullshit, which is what young people do, but she doesn't come across as endearingly gauche or anything like that. She's a blatant phony, an abject careerist. That wouldn't really matter if she had anything to back it up with, but her music was utter shite.

She's always struck me as being like a theatre workshop version of a punk but without any conviction behind it, just very contrived. "My character's a singer with big hair and she's called TOYAH and she's really angry about stuff! Grrr!"

DrGreggles

I started watching that Toyah documentary, but didn't last more 10 minutes due to her insufferable cuntiness.
By comparison, I lasted 12 minutes into the 1980 Little & Large Christmas show.

studpuppet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 23, 2019, 05:25:18 PM
The Toyah documentary is every bit as excruciating as they described.

But still not as excruciating as her role as 'Mrs. Robert Fripp':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VGyoIyBgc

I thoroughly enjoyed the comprehensive lambasting of DLT as is now CM tradition.