Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 24, 2019, 05:47:19 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the comprehensive lambasting of DLT as is now CM tradition.

Somehow, they still haven't run out of amusing and creative ways to describe how much of a cunt he is.

DrGreggles

Simon Bates wanking off livestock is another.

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 24, 2019, 03:46:13 PM
I think everyone* has got off more lightly than Miss Wilcox so far.

*apart from B.A. Cunterson, obviously

I relistened to the World Cup episode and heard Taylor actually say he wanted to go back in time and bash baby Cunterson's head against a sink.

I was interested in the detail that Toyah may have been spoiled as a kid when she acted out, and thus never learned humility, moderation or empathy. I'm not sure what Fripp sees in her.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 24, 2019, 06:22:59 PM
I relistened to the World Cup episode and heard Taylor actually say he wanted to go back in time and bash baby Cunterson's head against a sink.

That is the most cunty TOTP performance ever though. By some distance.

daf

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 24, 2019, 06:22:59 PM
I'm not sure what Fripp sees in her.

Somebody to feed the cats? Looks like he's permanently on tour

buzby

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 23, 2019, 09:12:22 PM
He later in the podcast calls Hazel O'Connor a 10th rate Hazel O'Connor.
having how heard the second half, he describes Hazel O'Connor as a fifth-rate Hazel O'Connor, which is still five better than Toyah....

Having a soft spot for the film Breaking Glass and read a bit about it's production, Toyah actually auditioned for the role of Kate, but lost out to Ms O'Connor (who was actually a singer and songwriter with a band at the time, rather than an actress). I do wonder if Toyah's sudden interest in music was to help land the part in the film, or as a spiteful reaction to not getting the part.

The video for Kim Wilde's Chequered Love was not shot on NTSC video, it was shot by Brian Grant in London (who had previously directed the video for Kids In America) on Sony U-Matic  semi-pro video equipment (most videos at this time were still being shot on film), hence the distinct 'video' look (he was an ex-ATV cameraman). Shortly afterwards he reused the look and feel of Kim's video for his video for Olivia Newton-John's Physical (which was shot in LA on film as part of the 'Physical' video album/TV special).

I can't believe Neil doesn't know Is Vic There?...

Gerald Fjord

I'm deeply grateful to this month's ep for putting me onto Smokey Robsinon's "U Really got a Hold on Me" and Stevie Wonder playing Superstition on Sesame Street. The latter in particular is one of the best live performances I've ever heard, and I genuinely thought I'd heard that song to many times on shit nights out to still enjoy it.

batwings

Quote from: non capisco on April 23, 2019, 11:04:39 AM
Looking forward to the video playlist for this one if it features the Toyah documentary that so sparked their loathing.

I can't see it in the playlist or find it on youtube. Anyone got a link?

Neomod

I must have been an enigma*  in May 81 as although I was an Oi listening skinhead I bought both Stray Cat Strut and Treason. Taylor's right, Tiny Children is superb.

I -ahem- also bought Strength Thru Oi! that month.

*real pop kid at heart

DrGreggles

Al's been posting the photos from that DLT book on Twitter.

Jesus...

DrGreggles

batwings

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 25, 2019, 03:37:30 PM
https://vimeo.com/332188470

Thanks!

This is one of the better CM podcasts, I think. Taylor is especially hilarious in his vitriol towards Toyah.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 25, 2019, 03:35:49 PM
Al's been posting the photos from that DLT book on Twitter.

Jesus...

Indeed.  Who thought it would be a great idea to publish DLT's wank fantasies?  He also seems to resemble a hairier and smugger Jamie Gillis on that cover too, but those videos of Gillis shitting on crack whores are starting to look more morally acceptable after seeing some of DLT's snaps.

Also, DLT's speech at the cigar awards was disgustingly Freudian.

Pauline Walnuts

Twitter is a truly terrible place isn't it?

:popcorn:

Watching some of that doc (it's difficult to watch more than a few minutes at a time as it's so excruciating) I feel Taylor's venom was more than justified. Not really remembering Toyah or having much exposure to her beyond dreary afternoon TV, it initially seemed rather harsh that they were piling onto this slightly naff singer so severely but she really is/was unbearable.

If anything she got off lightly merely being compared to Stalin & Hitler.

I can't agree with Taylor that there's no comedy value there though as the video (no idea of the song but there was lots of womb/tomb rhyming) they show at the start of that doc had me howling with laughter, particularly the bits where she goes all primal therapy and starts enacting her inner torment in the hammiest, lamest way imaginable. The terrible attempt at a punkish 'blank' thousand-yard stare too, I cracked up at that.

Awful, awful stuff.

DrGreggles

I've just remembered Taylor opining that Toyah's acting was so bad that "even Andy Warhol would have shouted 'cut'." and giggled on the bus.

Crabwalk

When I was about 12 my school took us on a trip to the theatre in Ipswich. The treat in store for us?

An ecological play about some trapped whales starring Toyah.

Chart Music let her off too easily.

Nelson

The discussion of 'Stand and Deliver' struck some huge chords with me, being of similar age to Neil and Taylor.  I watched the video a few times over the weekend in the light of what they said. Such a joy. A preposterous little bit of make-believe. Pop stars dressing up like mad but no horribly objectified, sexualized young bodies. A riot.

I showed it to my daughter who reminded me of the Horrible Histories Dick Turpin song based on it, which is great

DrGreggles

Quote from: Nelson on April 29, 2019, 07:51:25 PM
I showed it to my daughter who reminded me of the Horrible Histories Dick Turpin song based on it, which is great

I believe that Stand and Deliver re-entered or nearly re-entered the charts after that episode of HH was first shown. Possibly purely down to parents showing Adam's version to their kids.

Nelson

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 29, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
I believe that Stand and Deliver re-entered or nearly re-entered the charts after that episode of HH was first shown. Possibly purely down to parents showing Adam's version to their kids.
Ha! That's lovely.

Jockice

Right, I've listened to it all the way through. The first podcast I've ever listened to in my life. And very entertaining it was too. They got a few things about The Undertones wrong but then they are probably my Mastermind subject so can be forgiven for that.

I'm tempted to go and listen to some others now. Obviously I won't be able to do them all at once, so any recommendations?

The episodes featuring Taylor Parkes are always the funniest, this one being a case in point.

https://chartmusiccouk.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/20-february-1st-1979-not-my-favourite-dj-of-all-times/

Their discussion of that astonishing Two Man Sound performance never fails to make me laugh out loud, it's joyous.

thraxx

Quote from: Jockice on April 30, 2019, 09:37:15 PM
Right, I've listened to it all the way through. The first podcast I've ever listened to in my life. And very entertaining it was too. They got a few things about The Undertones wrong but then they are probably my Mastermind subject so can be forgiven for that.

I'm tempted to go and listen to some others now. Obviously I won't be able to do them all at once, so any recommendations?

The Geldof and Elton John ones, simply because they are so on the nose in their coat downs of them. 

The two that really made me love this podcast was the one with Alvin Stardust, and the Mott The Hoople one.  They had me at 'Ian Hunter is what Robert Plant looks like to a dog'.

Sadly can't remember which episodes they are.  Soz.

Quote from: thraxx on April 30, 2019, 09:53:17 PMThey had me at 'Ian Hunter is what Robert Plant looks like to a dog'.

I went to see Mott the Hoople recently - they were great - but that line popped into my head several times throughout the performance. Giggles ensued.

thraxx

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 30, 2019, 10:03:35 PM
I went to see Mott the Hoople recently - they were great - but that line popped into my head several times throughout the performance. Giggles ensued.

Was Ian Hunter in the line up.

Before Chart Music, Mott the Hoople were just the band that did All the Young Dudes and hence could be passed over.  Thanks to Chart Music I have discovered with my daughter what an incredible band they were.

One more reason to love the podcast. 

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on April 30, 2019, 09:37:15 PM

Skip #1 and start with #2.
The Price/Parkes debut episode.

Quote from: thraxx on April 30, 2019, 10:21:08 PM
Was Ian Hunter in the line up.

Before Chart Music, Mott the Hoople were just the band that did All the Young Dudes and hence could be passed over.  Thanks to Chart Music I have discovered with my daughter what an incredible band they were.

Yep, Ian Hunter and Ariel Bender (not his real name) are in the current line-up. Mott without Hunter would be pointless. An incredible band, as you say.

Any combo of Parkes, Price and Kulkarni is best to be going on with. Sarah Bee is lovely but neither as knowledgeable or as entertaining as the rest. Probably makes me sound like a sexist pig but I call it as I hear  it.

non capisco

Quote from: thraxx on April 30, 2019, 10:21:08 PM
Thanks to Chart Music I have discovered with my daughter what an incredible band they were.

Absolutely, if Chart Music was merely just the exquisitely worded vitriol we know and love it wouldn't be half the podcast it actually is. I got heavily into The Beat and New Muzik through Pricey's passionate recommendations. I was reminded what a colossal banger 'Serious' by Donna Allen is thanks to Al's rhapsodising about it. When the CM crew wax effusive it's infectious.

Jockice, you will end up listening to them all once you're hooked so you may as well work through them from the start but if you're after laughs in my opinion the funniest two are Ep 23: Soul Rail Replacement Service and Ep 32: Come To The Sabbat, Simon's There (both Neil and Taylor episodes), the latter of which deals with Simon Bates' ridiculous 1982 Hallowe'en presentation. Enjoy!