Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

I think 79-81 was up there with 65-68 as the finest chart era we've ever had, so the podcasts have so much more to work with when covering those years.

One thing I would disagree with them in the latest edition is that in my opinion, The Beat were starting their decline with the Drowning single. I'd bought all the previous ones on release and loved them all but this was the first that I was a bit underwhelmed by and they never again got back to their previous quality.

The Roofdog

I listened again to that second album on the back of Simon Price raving about it but it really doesnt do much for me.

Jockice

Tell Her About It Is Great though. Even if it took me another three decades to do so. Thanks for your tips on which ones to listen to anyway. Me getting into a podcast eh? That's something I never thought would happen.

SteveDave

Quote from: The Roofdog on May 02, 2019, 01:28:58 AM
I listened again to that second album on the back of Simon Price raving about it but it really doesnt do much for me.

When one of the Beat died he tweeted that they were one of the best bands ever and I snorted. Derisively.

Price was 13-14 in 1981 so I think there's some nostalgia there, as with 'More Specials'.

I think the three Beat albums are best approached as like three different bands, and there seems to have been one eye on the American market which distorted how they fit into the UK scene. They were like a superior version of Fine Young Cannibals but could also revert to 1979 mode when performing live.

Dr Rock

I'm roughly the same age and The Beat seemed a really dull band compared to what else was going on. Wasn't into that two-tone mod revival stuff either. Never loved Weller. I later liked a lot of Specials stuff. But The Beat especially are charmless, plodding and lukewarm.

phantom_power

I think the Beat are actually musically more interesting than The Specials, certainly around 1981. They are already branching out into world music that it would take the Specials a while (and adding an AKA) to get round to. The songs and band identity might not be as strong but musically they weren't just ploughing the ska furrow

studpuppet

The only good thing about The Beat was being able to draw their logo in the back of your school exercise books relatively easily. Also true of Madness, but they outgrew their logo.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: SteveDave on May 02, 2019, 08:56:32 AM
When one of the Beat died he tweeted that they were one of the best bands ever and I snorted. Derisively.

They were though, cloth ears. Special Beat Service is the best Beat album btw

Uncle TechTip

That cunt flapping his bandy legs though. Makes me want to punch the screen any time FYC come on

Brundle-Fly

I'll take cunt flap legs over anything in the top 40 today.

Natnar

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 01, 2019, 11:21:21 PM
I'd say the pure pop of 1981 (and evidenced in the latest episode) is better than that of 1979 and 1980.
Great few years though.

I think 1981 is great for the more weirder songs hitting the charts (O Superman, Sat In Your Lap, Flowers Of Romance & Walking On Thin Ice for example)

Brundle-Fly

"More Pringles than a 24hour garage."

SteveDave

Last night I had a dream where DLT was singing "Let's Get It On" whilst wearing a (loose) white towelling dressing gown. I am officially disturbed.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on May 03, 2019, 08:57:25 AM
Last night I had a dream where DLT was singing "Let's Get It On" whilst wearing a (loose) white towelling dressing gown. I am officially disturbed.

Just been sick in my mouth...

Al just posted that a new episode is being furiously put together as we speak from an uncovered year and that "watching the episode was as much fun as looking at an unwiped arse for half an hour".

And also that the Q&A with Neil and Sarah is also being worked on.

dr beat

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 28, 2019, 05:00:17 PM
Al just posted that a new episode is being furiously put together as we speak from an uncovered year and that "watching the episode was as much fun as looking at an unwiped arse for half an hour".

I'm gonna hazard a guess it's some time between 1990-1993.

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on May 28, 2019, 05:20:33 PM
And also that the Q&A with Neil and Sarah is also being worked on.

2 episodes AND the Q&A!

non capisco

I've got tomorrow off work with no plans AND the sun's meant to be out so if you COULD get a wriggle on with that episode, Al, that'd be ideal!

Did anyone else listen to Sarah Bee's 'The Night's Hatewatch' podcast? You probably have to fall into the specific wheelhouse of thinking Game Of Thrones used to be great but that it turned into a right pile of dog eggs to get much out of it. I think both of those things so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

According to Simon on Twitter the new Patreon ep drops tomorrow.

Sorry, meant the new ep drops on Patreon tomorrow, not the Patreon exclusive. I read the tweet wrong.

non capisco

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 04, 2019, 04:47:57 PM
Sorry, meant the new ep drops on Patreon tomorrow, not the Patreon exclusive. I read the tweet wrong.

THANK FUCK!

DrGreggles

It has arrived. HOORAY!

dr beat

What year is it? I can see Gary Davies so I'm guessing late 80s/early 90s.

dr beat

Quote from: dr beat on May 28, 2019, 06:01:49 PM
I'm gonna hazard a guess it's some time between 1990-1993.

Ah, April 1991, called it.  Check out Mystic Meg over here.

At least it means the focus will be on acts not previously covered, so minimal repetition, but I had a sneak look at the chart and it's fucking grim. This is going to be a total kicking of every act as far as I can see.

Amazingly, Gary Davies keeps popping up as presenter of TOTP all the way up to the end of 1993 even though he was only doing weekends on Radio 1 and clearly the end was nigh for him, the Layla-playing cunt. Odd because I only associate him with the 80s and assumed his TOTP era ended much earlier.

Dr Rock

This is a day early for the top-tier patreon payers right, not us second-class Patreoners who have to wait until tomorrow?

dr beat

I have a 5 hour train journey this evening so that $5 Patreon has paid for perfect timing.

HAVANAGILA

Quote from: non capisco on May 29, 2019, 05:54:12 PM
Did anyone else listen to Sarah Bee's 'The Night's Hatewatch' podcast? You probably have to fall into the specific wheelhouse of thinking Game Of Thrones used to be great but that it turned into a right pile of dog eggs to get much out of it. I think both of those things so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jumping in to reply before the thread gets flooded with April 91 gubbins (I'm just an everyday Pop Crazed Youngster so I have to wait another day or so with everyone else). I gave the first episode a go, enjoyed it well enough, got a bit bored halfway through the second and didn't return until the final episode (which I enjoyed more than I expected). I think I found the initial premise difficult to get enthusiastic about - I'd agree GoT got worse as it went on but I don't feel the need to have two other people tell me that for TWO AND A HALF HOURS*, six weeks on the trot. A Cast Of Kings had a similar structure but took half the time, and felt more grounded in genuine fan disappointment (and occasional enthusiasm) rather than "let's set out to tear this down".

* I know the show lengths were minuscule compared to the average Chart Music, but my heart sank when I saw the running time for the first episode. At least TOTP has more space for childhood nostalgia, surreal tangents, potted histories of the acts on the show... 150 minutes on a single hour of plot driven narrative was heavy going.

Anyway, Chart Music...