Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
1991 eh? I'm a top tier Patreon'r but can never be arsed to download it early so I just wait till it pops up on pocketcasts. I didn't really want much extra for donating extra, just felt like the Al and the rest deserved a bit more cash for the enjoyment I get out of these podcasts.

DrGreggles

Not listened yet (fuck you, work!), but this would be one of the last shows of the Radio-1-DJs-as-presenters era.
TOTP had a big re-launch later that summer.

Epic Bisto

Don't spoil it for me, I'm just thinking out loud here, but why do I think that we might see Arnie & The Terminators or some other horrid novelty single a la Jive Bunny?

I can't exactly remember the state of the singles chart at the time - I did have Now 20 but I'm really wracking my brain trying to remember what was on there, apart from "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" - but album-wise there was some great stuff coming out: Loveless, Seamonsters, Hoodoo, Laughing Stock.  I can't wait for the fecker to drop.

Chriddof

1991 was a period where albums seemed to be a lot more important than singles - on top of what's already been mentioned, you had Bandwagonesque, Screamadelica, Foxbase Alpha and Nevermind later in the year. From what I recall the singles chart seemed to almost go into a weird kind of stasis for much of the middle third of '91, starting with a number 1 (which I won't mention by name as it'll most likely be featured in this episode) that hung around for about five weeks when it was the kind of single that should have only been at the top for just two weeks at the absolute maximum. And then afterwards there's that bloody film tie-in (again, won't mention the name) which is one of the longest-running Number 1s in the UK ever.

Chart wise the interesting stuff was happening with LPs (or CDs, by this point) - the only good singles I can really recall are the more commercial end of house / techno releases, and the odd bit of hip hop. And even with dance it could be a bit iffy as there were all those aforementioned novelty things as the first wave of rave culture started to exhaust itself - wonder if we'll see any of those remixes of kid's TV show themes?

DrGreggles

Just a quick note on Inspiral Carpets.
Tom isn't actually in an Inspiral Carpets tribute band. He plays with his own version of Inspiral Carpets*, but formed it with members of an Inspiral Carpets tribute band and can't legally use the Inspiral Carpets name.
Admittedly this isn't as funny.

*David van Day's Inspiral Carpets, if you prefer

Quote from: Chriddof on June 05, 2019, 07:03:43 PM
1991 was a period where albums seemed to be a lot more important than singles - on top of what's already been mentioned, you had Bandwagonesque, Screamadelica, Foxbase Alpha and Nevermind later in the year. From what I recall the singles chart seemed to almost go into a weird kind of stasis for much of the middle third of '91, starting with a number 1 (which I won't mention by name as it'll most likely be featured in this episode) that hung around for about five weeks when it was the kind of single that should have only been at the top for just two weeks at the absolute maximum. And then afterwards there's that bloody film tie-in (again, won't mention the name) which is one of the longest-running Number 1s in the UK ever.

Chart wise the interesting stuff was happening with LPs (or CDs, by this point) - the only good singles I can really recall are the more commercial end of house / techno releases, and the odd bit of hip hop. And even with dance it could be a bit iffy as there were all those aforementioned novelty things as the first wave of rave culture started to exhaust itself - wonder if we'll see any of those remixes of kid's TV show themes?

It was the start of singles being released purely to plug albums, thereby making TOTP merely an album plugger in large part, incongrously mixed with random house / techno hits that entered high then dropped straight out (reaching its height in the mid-90s).

Epic Bisto

Oh that tie-in.  My mum and step-dad had the cassingle of that.  Apparently it was their song because we moved into his house that year.  A bit weird because they both had better taste than to choose that.  God help us if it turns up on here.

I 'm sensing lack of enthusiasm for this episode. Over an hour of prelims before we get to the actual episode then some of the chat on the acts has only tangential musical relevance e.g. Simpsons.

Apart from the classic years up to 1982, I think it will be hard to get more than two episodes out of any year before there's nothing left to say about it. Some years are struggling to hold my attention at all to be honest. 1991, chart desert, who gives a fuck?

non capisco

I still enjoyed a few hours in their company as always but there's really fuck all that interesting anyone can say about that particular episode of Top Of The Pops and the likes of C+C Music Factory. I'd like to hear them do more 1979 and 1982 episodes as I think they're especially rich years at either end of the big 'em up/coat 'em down scale. Also, Al did mention they should do an episode of 'The Chart Show' so it seems he's aware they're starting to bump up against the current format's limitations.

Camp Tramp

There is still a huge amount of ground to cover. I've mildly disagreed with some of their opinions (I like Tears For Fears) but I want to have a proper argument over something.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 08, 2019, 09:59:35 PM
I 'm sensing lack of enthusiasm for this episode.

Nah, it was great.
I think the differing arrival days may stunt reaction posts somewhat.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 09, 2019, 02:08:09 AM
Nah, it was great.

So far every episode is a good episode. I always learn something new.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 09, 2019, 02:08:09 AM
Nah, it was great.

Yeah, I agree that has a big impact. I enjoyed it. Especially Sarah's Patty and Selma impression that threatened to tip over into full Jimmy Durante.

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 09, 2019, 02:30:25 AM
Sarah's Patty and Selma impression

Just me, or was that VERY sexy?

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 05, 2019, 11:33:36 AM
Amazingly, Gary Davies keeps popping up as presenter of TOTP all the way up to the end of 1993 even though he was only doing weekends on Radio 1 and clearly the end was nigh for him, the Layla-playing cunt. Odd because I only associate him with the 80s and assumed his TOTP era ended much earlier.

First DJ to promote Radiohead though. Not even Creep, he played Prove Yourself on his show.

sweeper

Quote from: Jockice on June 09, 2019, 10:48:54 AM
First DJ to promote Radiohead though. Not even Creep, he played Prove Yourself on his show.

Which makes sense, coz the first Radiohead album is basically big AOR nice car Gary Davies music. I bet he played it while 'tooling' around the lower alps one summer.

Jockice

Quote from: sweeper on June 09, 2019, 11:01:37 AM
Which makes sense, coz the first Radiohead album is basically big AOR nice car Gary Davies music. I bet he played it while 'tooling' around the lower alps one summer.

i met him once you know. He's pretty small.

Neomod

Quote from: non capisco on June 08, 2019, 10:26:26 PM
I still enjoyed a few hours in their company as always but there's really fuck all that interesting anyone can say about that particular episode.

This.

It does Illustrate how important the choice of episode is as I don't even think Taylor would have come up with much for this one. Especially as it's an episode a month podcast.

Highlight was hearing my old boss from the Brighton Virgin Megastore is a patreon. 

dr beat

Worth sticking with this for the details of the Chesney Hawkes weekend.

Neomod

Quote from: dr beat on June 09, 2019, 03:38:18 PM
Worth sticking with this for the details of the Chesney Hawkes weekend.

Breakfast in Bed
A Full English or Continental breakfast brought to your tent by Chesney Hawkes

non capisco

Pull the trigger on the Joy Sarney episode, Al, you know you want to.

HAVANAGILA

Quote from: Neomod on June 09, 2019, 02:33:54 PM
This.

It does Illustrate how important the choice of episode is as I don't even think Taylor would have come up with much for this one. Especially as it's an episode a month podcast.

Highlight was hearing my old boss from the Brighton Virgin Megastore is a patreon.

There's been a few episodes like the latest where I've found all the chat very amiable, and occasionally hilarious, and then been surprised at just how unenthusiastic Al and the contributors sound in the final summing up. It does make me wonder about the criteria Al uses to pick an episode? Surely there are plenty from 1990-1993 that would have got the guests (relatively) excited. Why pick one that looks rubbish and dull from the start?

phantom_power

An enjoyable episode but I disagreed with the opinions a fair bit. Can You Dig It is a reasonably decent song, and Caravan is pretty good as well. There's nowt wrong with Nik Kershaw either

Loads of mistakes by Gary Davies in the rundowns as well, though they slip my mind now. The only one I can remember is his "The Banderas" faux pas

Quote from: HAVANAGILA on June 09, 2019, 11:43:37 PM
Surely there are plenty from 1990-1993 that would have got the guests (relatively) excited. Why pick one that looks rubbish and dull from the start?

I'm thinking that maybe there's not really many 1990-1993 ToTP episodes available out there yet before they get repeated on BBC4, so you get what you're given, basically.

EOLAN

Personal highlight was Pricey talking about all the Beamish ads at the time. Maybe he did mean the beautiful Cork brewed stout rather than its more famous Dublin rival; but somehow I doubt it.

Did find the opening to the Sharkey song extremely creepy and made me blurt out laughing. Only know his solo for "A Good Heart".

gmoney

Quote from: EOLAN on June 10, 2019, 01:35:43 PM
Did find the opening to the Sharkey song extremely creepy and made me blurt out laughing. Only know his solo for "A Good Heart".

I found it excruciating, and I was surprised they all seemed to thing it was OK.

Quote from: gmoney on June 10, 2019, 01:49:24 PM
I found it excruciating, and I was surprised they all seemed to thing it was OK.

Yeah that song's horrible.  Sounds like Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight' to my ears.

Johnboy

I enjoyed this.  Simon and Sarah complement each other well.

boki

Quote from: EOLAN on June 10, 2019, 01:35:43 PM
Personal highlight was Pricey talking about all the Beamish ads at the time. Maybe he did mean the beautiful Cork brewed stout rather than its more famous Dublin rival; but somehow I doubt it.

I do seem to remember Guinness' rivals getting a bit of a push in the early-90s.  Beamish did turn up in a few boozers and I can definitely recall Murphy's stout having a prominent ad campaign, too.

I genuinely thought Pricey was talking about adverts for the Beamish museum in County Durham, and I was racking my brains trying to think of them.