Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: boki on June 10, 2019, 04:16:49 PM
I do seem to remember Guinness' rivals getting a bit of a push in the early-90s.  Beamish did turn up in a few boozers and I can definitely recall Murphy's stout having a prominent ad campaign, too.

Yep - there was a whole load of Irish Theme Pubs which sprung up in provincial England in the years leading up to the Good Friday Agreement (you would know them by the rusting bicycles nailed to the ceiling) flogging all kinds of black beer.

"Like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter" was a catchphrase, uttered by a pale young man with an improbably full barnet and MENTAL eyebrows as he watched a horse walk through a council estate.

Oh, and Caffrey's. They're on youtube - watch them: you'd never believe it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: gmoney on June 10, 2019, 01:49:24 PM
I found it excruciating, and I was surprised they all seemed to thing it was OK.

I found it shocking that he was still having hits in 1991.
But then I remembered what BBC1 was still showing on Saturday night TV at that time....

Brundle-Fly

I know every cunt has done this on their podcasts but playing CM at half speed is hysterical. Pricey sounds like he's completely off his face on mescaline.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: dr beat on June 09, 2019, 03:38:18 PM
Worth sticking with this for the details of the Chesney Hawkes weekend.

Do you reckon he wakes up screaming when he remembers this little obligation?  It's so fucking bleak - bleaker than the recent Dinosaur Jr camping weekend thing (just for the fact that Lou Barlow will have a captivated audience all weekend for his non-stop passive aggressive Mascis bashing).

Also, I bought the "Caravan" cassingle, but that was down to seeing the video on The Chart Show.  The B-side ("Skidoo") is really good too.

dr beat

Quote from: Epic Bisto on June 11, 2019, 08:12:15 PM
Do you reckon he wakes up screaming when he remembers this little obligation? 

The highest-priced ticket for that weekend was £985.  I dread to think what you could get Chesney Hawkes to do for that price.

dr beat

non capisco

I would be delighted if all Neil's questions are just about crisps.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: dr beat on June 12, 2019, 12:13:49 AM
The highest-priced ticket for that weekend was £985.  I dread to think what you could get Chesney Hawkes to do for that price.

Well I'm sure that's the main thing that crops up in his nightmares.  I bet it all takes place in a bespoke yurt with his face on it.

Maybe Al should follow through with his threat and send Taylor there with all that Patreon dosh.

You had to pay 985 quid for him not to sing while you were enjoying your Full English.

boki

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 12, 2019, 10:30:34 AM
You had to pay 985 quid for him not to sing while you were enjoying your Full English.
"I am the one-egg omelette..."

SteveDave

My question was asked and made Neil slightly angry.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It did, but at least he wasn't narked at you. Your question acted as a trigger.

EDIT: This is a CaB summer special so far! The first three questions are from you, DrGreggles and dr beat!

Epic Bisto

That bit where Neil almost got duffed up by The Enemy's manager was very funny.  Also, Hong Kong Ian.

I did a big old laugh when Sarah mentioned that the world's strongest man is in Game of Thrones, causing Al to respond, "What, Geoff Capes?!"

DrGreggles

That Q&A flew by!

Really want some crisps now though.

Epic Bisto

The crisp chat was wonderful, and even included a Murat Food Centre shout-out too!

I enjoyed Al and Neil coating down New Order, not because they hate them, but because they're a fucking boring band who are, at best, alright.

DrGreggles

I like New Order (up to about 1993 anyway), but I can completely understand why people wouldn't.
And Al was right about them sounding shit live.

DrGreggles

dr beat

Good to hear them mention Bang! magazine, I thought that was a decent read but it didn't seem to last long.

boki

Quote from: Epic Bisto on June 13, 2019, 08:54:26 PM
The crisp chat was wonderful, and even included a Murat Food Centre shout-out too!
And quite rightly so.  No visit to Sneinton is complete without procuring a nice big bag of some slightly exotic snack.  If Brexit ruins this, I'll go postal.

sweeper

I suppose they feel about the New Order the way I feel about Radiohead now. There's an immense weight of critical consensus that says that this thing is important, and you should engage with it, and there's a great freedom in being able to reject that, and reject that implied cultural value.

The problem with that is that you're judging an artist by the context that accrues around them, not by the work they do. It's like you're disagreeing with someone else's opinion, rather than having an opinion of your own. I suppose if the artist doesn't generate enough interest for you to have a valid opinion then I guess that's all fine, but surely any music lover is going to find something they enjoy in there, somewhere. You just have to let it sneak up on you.

In any case, New Order wrote Bizarre Love Triangle, which is like a handful of serotonin being shoved up your arse, and I feel genuine sorrow for anyone who can't get behind that.

jamiefairlie

Were they slagging Joy Division too?

iamcoop

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 14, 2019, 10:57:56 PM
Were they slagging Joy Division too?

Not really. Al mentioned he didn't much care for them but there was no major coating down.

DenzilHolles

Not sure how to do spoiler tags so I won't post it , but Al's comment on Manchester bands in general had me howling.

daf

Quote from: DenzilHolles on June 15, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
Not sure how to do spoiler tags

bit of a fiddle, but you can make the text invisible by highlighting it with a colour like red  but change the 'red' to 'transparent' - like this :

DenzilHolles secret spoiler goodies!!! 

the way to see the hidden text above ^ is by hitting the 'quote' button on the post.

buzby

Quote from: sweeper on June 14, 2019, 11:47:08 AM
I suppose they feel about the New Order the way I feel about Radiohead now. There's an immense weight of critical consensus that says that this thing is important, and you should engage with it, and there's a great freedom in being able to reject that, and reject that implied cultural value.

The problem with that is that you're judging an artist by the context that accrues around them, not by the work they do. It's like you're disagreeing with someone else's opinion, rather than having an opinion of your own. I suppose if the artist doesn't generate enough interest for you to have a valid opinion then I guess that's all fine, but surely any music lover is going to find something they enjoy in there, somewhere. You just have to let it sneak up on you.

In any case, New Order wrote Bizarre Love Triangle, which is like a handful of serotonin being shoved up your arse, and I feel genuine sorrow for anyone who can't get behind that.

I do wonder if some of it comes from the rather fractious relationship they had with the music press (very few interviews, and when they did the journos were usually treated with indifference) at least prior to the 1993 reformation.

i'm sorry, but I can't take the 'they were shit live' comment either. They were incredibly inconsistent live, and what type of show you got depended on how off his face or pissed off Bernard was, and what technical failures would happen with their gear. Unlike their contemporaries like The Human League, OMD, Depeche Mode etc. they had their synths and drum machines running live, rather than using backing tapes (at least until 88/89, when they started using banks of Akai S1000 samplers to play synth parts sampled off the multitracks). and a lot of it was not particularly road-worthy.

By 1987-88 the technical side was no longer really an issue, and if Bernard was in a good mood you could get a great gig, as this performance of Dream Attack from the Shoreline date of their 89 US Tour shows, as does the 'SECCstacy' bootleg of the 1989 Glasgow show. I went to the 1993 Reading Festival show to see what was widely believed to be their last ever show and it was brilliant - the bootleg of that performance (it was broadcast live on Radio 1 as well) is better than all of their officially-released live material.

Still, at least i haven't paid to hear them slag off one of my favourite bands.

shiftwork2

For some oddball reason I've only recently discovered this and by fuck what a month it's been.  I'm up to #25 which means around 2 hours a day.  No exaggeration to say this podcast and the youtube playlists have reframed the recent past for me.  The xmas '73 episode was a highlight and quite emotional.  I'm hoping the remaining episodes keep the balance that makes 3h seem like no time at all.

Carry on you seasoned pop crazed youngsters.