Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I think I have a new favourite episode.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 05, 2019, 11:50:09 PM
I think I have a new favourite episode.

Yeah. Non-High Flying Cats, you are in for a total treat with this one.

Much as I love all the contributors I've just realised that all my three favourite episodes (which includes the latest) have been Taylor and Neil team ups.

DrGreggles

All the combos have their strengths, and also interact differently with Al, creating diverse experiences.

It's interesting that, although some of these acts have been on before (Lulu as recently as #38 in March) they still find something new and interesting to say about them. Lulu shagging Bowie, for example, is totally new to me. She was still married to Maurice Gibb at the time.

Phil_A

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 06, 2019, 11:28:40 AM
All the combos have their strengths, and also interact differently with Al, creating diverse experiences.

It's interesting that, although some of these acts have been on before (Lulu as recently as #38 in March) they still find something new and interesting to say about them. Lulu shagging Bowie, for example, is totally new to me. She was still married to Maurice Gibb at the time.

Lulu's got form, she apparently shagged Jason Orange during the time of the time of the Take That collab. And of course the Dame was a notoriously randy fucker. Filthy buggers, the pair of them.

Incidentally if wondered for years if Lulu does an uncredited backing vocal on We Are The Dead off Diamond Dogs? It really sounds like her and the timeframe would fit.

Epic Bisto

Another gem.  The Dave Dee stuff is a never-ending source of hilarity (Taylor is really on fire for this lot), and I'm surprised by the amount of interesting Love Affair and Eurovision '69 stuff they were able to dig up.  Top episode lads.

GEOFF SEX FOR THE CHART MUSIC TOP TEN!

The Roofdog

Bloody hell what an episode. Just podcast perfection really.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yep, thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. One of the many highlights was the perfect Chart Music circle of Dave Dee becoming the A&R man who discovered B.A. Cunterson.

At first I thought that Taylor's ire for the essentially harmless Dee was a bit harsh, even by his usual standards, but as that segment developed - complete with Al's dramatic reading of Dee's excruciating 'advice' for young ladies - I was fully on board with the relentless hilarity of it all. And at least they gave his band credit for releasing a couple of ace freakbeat bangers. They were an awful group for the most part, but their catalogue isn't entirely without merit.

Chriddof

Just got to the bit where they start to discuss the opening - I think they messed up when it came to the comments about colour TV having already started. Wasn't it Autumn '69 when it launched, not '68?

FAKE EDIT AFTER CHECKING: Colour British TV officially started in November 1969 when BBC1 and ITV began transmission on the UHF band (which was required for PAL to work). That came after a couple of years of occasional BBC2-only colour transmissions beginning in 1967, which was possible as that channel broadcast only in UHF. From what I understand, the odd thing was advertised as being in colour, but hardly anyone had a colour set at that point, and it seems that it wasn't considered to have fully launched until BBC1 and ITV started doing it.

The first ever colour programme broadcast by BBC2 in '67 was that year's Wimbledon championships. In November '69 it was London and parts of the ATV / Yorkshire / Granada regions that got the initial coverage. After that date, it took a couple of years for colour TV to properly roll out throughout the rest of the country, with the now-forgotten "colour strike" further complicating things in 1970 - 71.

I think throughout '68 the BBC and ITV started to make a number of programmes in colour, but of course they were all initially transmitted in B&W. So even if this was made internally on colour equipment (which is possible), it would have been transmitted on the old monochrome 405 line standard anyway by dint of being on BBC1, and they wouldn't have recorded any of it in colour because the BBC were such tight-arses. Case in point - check out this copy of the BBC's official recording of the first night of colour BBC1, you'll notice something's missing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T6HgurIIvs

Incidentally, the Channel Islands didn't get colour TV until 1976! I wonder what Major Benest's opinion on that was...

Natnar

I wonder what an episode with all 5 of the regulars (Taylor, Neil, Sarah, Simon & David) on would be like? Too much?

Natnar

Updated episode list by TOTP airdate

March 6th 1969 Episode #43 TP NK
February 5th 1970, Episode #10 NK TP
April 29th 1971 Episode #38 SP TP
June 22nd 1973 Episode #25 DS SP
November 15th 1973, Episode #3 TP SP
December 25th 1973 Episode #17 DS TP
April 11th 1974, Episode #9 SP DS
April 10th 1975 Episode #6 NK SP
January 22nd 1976 Episode #29 DS SB
April 29th 1976 Episode #18 TP SP
August 26th 1976 Episode #41 DS TP
December 25th 1976 Episode #35 TP SP
July 14th 1977 Episode #1 DS SB
October 6th 1977 Episode #23 NK TP
November 16th 1978 Episode #13 NK TP
February 1st 1979 Episode #20 TP SP
April 12th 1979 Episode #4 SP NK
October 11th 1979 Episode #36 DS TP
August 14th 1980 Episode #5 TP DS
September 4th 1980 Episode #15 SP DS
December 18th 1980 Episode #34 SP NK
May 21st 1981 Episode #39 TP NK
August 27th 1981 Episode #43 NK SP
September 24th 1981 Episode #8 TP SP
January 14th 1982 Episode #11 TP SP
May 6th 1982 Episode #27 SP TP
October 28th 1982 Episode #32 NK TP
August 11th 1983 Episode #31 SP TP
December 22nd 1983 Episode #16 NK SP
February 9th 1984 Episode #2 DS TP
August 9th 1984 Episode #26 TP NK
July 4th 1985 Episode #22 NK SP
August 22nd 1985 Episode #7 TP NK
July 31st 1986 Episode #24 SB TP
September 24th 1987 Episode #14 TP SB
June 15th 1989 Episode #19 SB NK
November 23rd 1989 Episode #30 SP TP
April 4th 1991 Episode #40 SB SP
March 16th 1994 Episode #12 NK SP
May 11th 1995 Episode #21 DS TP
August 31st 1995 Episode #28 SB SP
February 8th 1996 Episode #33 SB NK
August 11th 2000 Episode #37 SB NK

Considering how shit they say 1976 is it's still the only year to have more than 3 episodes featured in it.

Still no 1972, which is a shame. 1976 has been a treat, surprisingly, because the acts are so random due to pop having no real direction (not unlike this 1969 one).

Natnar

Still no 1988 either. It would be interesting if Al covered one of the current 1988 episodes being (or about to be) aired and then timed the podcast to be released around it being repeated on BBC4.

Episodes per person:

TP 26
NK 18
SP 22
SB 9
DS 11

There has never been a Stubbs/Kulkarni episode

sweeper

How is it possible to like Abba, but not like the Bee Gees? These people are just wilfully perverse.

On that note, RE: Beatles vs. Stones - apology accepted.

DrGreggles

Quote from: sweeper on September 08, 2019, 11:27:17 AM
How is it possible to like Abba, but not like the Bee Gees?

I think it was just 60s-era Bee Gees that didn't float their boats. The SNF stuff got pretty much universal love.

Not sure there's an Abba/Bee Gees comparison that can be made in general, outside of the former's few late 70s disco songs.

sweeper

Could just be me, but they both seem to exist in a kind of vacuum sealed, music as perfume, engineered vision of pop - except for those final Abba records, where something odder starts to emerge. But mainly highly crafted, and slightly inconsequential, though impressive ideas of music. They're natural comrades to my mind. Chic are in the same box as well.

In any case, mk. 1 Bee Gees - To Love Somebody and I Started a Joke at least are huge tunes.   

DrGreggles

There's definitely some gold in mk. 1 Bee Gees (Holiday is a favourite of mine), but I personally find a lot of it uninspiring.
You could probably make one great album from all their 60s output.

Abba and the Bee Gees were both strongly influenced by The Beatles and Beach Boys, but so were most vocal harmony groups.

Durance Vile

I'm a sucker for Mk I Bee Gees, and even Mk 0 when they were still in Australia - there's all sorts of weirdness going on there - but I can get why they leave some people cold. Barry Gibb was a calculating writer - he wrote songs as exercises - but there haven't been many people better at it than him, and he couldn't half hit the jackpot occasionally.

"Hey Baz, can you knock one out for Otis Redding?"
"Sure, here's To Love Somebody, will that do?"

I'm a bit biased because Massachussetts was number 1 when I was born, but I genuinely think there's a lot more to Mk 1 than the boys gave them credit for, precisely because they were so strange. But hey, they've been on Chart Music more than we have.

I love this podcast, though. Neil and Taylor tag-teaming Sarstedt was a joy.

Quote from: Natnar on September 07, 2019, 11:57:57 AM
I wonder what an episode with all 5 of the regulars (Taylor, Neil, Sarah, Simon & David) on would be like? Too much?

Yes, I think at least one voice would be crowded out or Al would have to keep each person's comments very short.

QuoteStill no 1988 either. It would be interesting if Al covered one of the current 1988 episodes being (or about to be) aired and then timed the podcast to be released around it being repeated on BBC4.

I feel we've reached the point where the charts were too dull to be able to sustain a discussion.

SteveDave

That TOTP version of "I Don't Know Why" is a million times better than the properly recorded one.

Johnboy

I can't hear the sneering or sleaziness in Where Do you Go to mY Lovely, seems to be just yearning and monotonous listing of stuff and he throws in the scars line just for a bit of colour

Neil likens it to Seasons in the Sun  - I would liken it to No Charge for the never ending dreariness

sweeper

I'd always assumed it had a sense of its own crapness, but then I did discover it around the same time that Coogan did Tony Ferrino. I think the two things merged in my head over time.

studpuppet

Well miffed that there was no mention of Stanley Baxter.

Rizla

This month's episode gives good Parkes, but I relistened to episode 24 the other day and that contains my favourite bit of Taylor ever, when he and Sarah are being challenged by Al as to which pop star said what about the royal wedding in Smash Hits, and Sarah accuses Taylor of cheating by going to his cupboard to go through old issues. "Yeah, the cupboard in my mind." perfect pause, "It's dark".

Epic Bisto

I'd like to hear another Bee/Parkes episode.  They seem to be quite tetchy with each other at times, but the '86 and '87 shows they covered are probably some of my all-time favourite episodes (Parkes talking about trying to be a teenage chain-smoking bohemian in a BHS cafe, the German exchange student story, Sarah's mate spotting Chris De Burgh walking around town in red leather trousers, her wonderful cry of "FUCK OFF.  FUCK. OFF.", etc).  The '87 episode in particular is perfect and it was probably the worst TOTP episode that Chart Music has ever covered.

Talking of which, where is the infamous 'Granny music' episode from 1970 at?  It's not on Youtube and I'm quite tempted to watch it.

non capisco