Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

I really need to see that Alan Titchmarsh ad.

I like how he pretends to look out of the window near the end.

Durance Vile

Very much enjoyed that, time for a polish. Just imagine the smell of their sleeping bags. Status No!

Durance Vile

That episode was worth it alone for Taylor's "vibes" gag, which went under the radar a bit but is a highlight of the entire series.

Johnboy

I dunno, if I was selecting from 1984 I wouldn't pick any episode subsequent to Two Tribes' reign at number one

but hey, she's been on Chart Music more than I have

DrGreggles

Two previous episodes of CM from 1984 had Frankie at number 1 though.

I thought the chart she picked was being generous to 1984, because most weeks were much worse, but maybe her intention was to be kind to the year rather than stick the boot in?

Johnboy

Yep, fair enough - I just really like spring '84. Even though the rot started in '83 there were loads of good hits Jan-May '84

I'm being very harsh. There was glorious stuff around in May 1984 (see https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19840520/7501/) like 'Love Wars' by Womack and Womack, 'Groovin' by Style Council, 'Locomotion' by OMD, 'Each and Every One' by EBTG, 'Just Be Good To Me' by SOS Band, 'Ain't Nobody' by Rufus and Chaka Khan and 'Let's Hear It For The Boy' by Deniece Williams. I just can't get past Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones, who seemed to shoot their rancid spunk over the whole era.

Epic Bisto

I really hope that Limahl's bitter diatribe was the influence behind all the petty Steve McCombe stuff in I, Partridge.

Finally got round to listening to all of the latest one and Taylor's "Big Bird" explanation and reedy Neil Young impersonation to go with it had me giggling all the way down the street on the way to work.

dr beat

Some news from CMP towers, to summarize:

- They've signed up with the people who do stuff like Rule of Three, Smershpod etc
- Adverts will feature, but not in the Patreon subscribers versions
- Apparently they have had complaints that the episodes are too long (Whaaat!!!) so they will split up episodes into four parts to be released Monday-Thursday with a full version on Friday
- But $5 Patreons will get the full ad-free version on Monday
- 3$ Patreons get it Friday
- Possible merch, maybe some live stuff, who knows.

shiftwork2

Fair enough, so long as they don't run an ad for that ballbag razor that Al mentioned a few months back!  And by 'too long' I suspect they mean too big a file for mobile download rather than too much CMP, which isn't a thing.

SteveDave

STARTS CHANTING "LIVE SHOW! LIVE SHOW! LIVE SHOW!"

famethrowa

Honestly, is a 200mb download too much in this day and age?

Anyway, doesn't bother me cos I'm a high flying cunt or whatever they call it. But if Al has to read out the ads, especially using that hotpants commercial sting, I'll take a listen.

daf

Epic Bisto

Quote from: famethrowa on October 24, 2019, 01:03:14 PM
Honestly, is a 200mb download too much in this day and age?

Anyway, doesn't bother me cos I'm a high flying cunt or whatever they call it. But if Al has to read out the ads, especially using that hotpants commercial sting, I'll take a listen.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the splitting up the episodes thing, but we'll get the full episode later on in the week so all is well (I take it that we're all Patreon donors).  Also, we might get Murat Food Centre ads thrown in too.

Camp Tramp

As long as they don't run adverts for Blue Chew. The ads on American podcasts drive me crazy.

DrGreggles

It doesn't really affect the Patreons at all.

non capisco

So glad I ponied up to be a High Flying Cat. I can't imagine consuming Chart Music in bite sized chunks, I'm more of a long three hour walk gorging on the whole damn thing guy. Fair play if it brings in new listeners and helps to keep it going though.

Epic Bisto

I've done the same.  I'll be going through withdrawal symptoms if I can only get an hour a day.

Brundle-Fly

This is great news and will put them on the map.

DrGreggles

I'm guessing either '79 or '81 for Pricey.

Fucking ace. They're all good but I love a good Pricey episode and he's been away for a bit.

non capisco

Read Al's Patreon post about hooking up with Great Big Owl and it's so heartening to hear that the whole team seem to be determinately in it for the long haul. It's been such a consistently fantastic podcast throughout its run, but there's always been a nagging "is this too good/niche to be true?" thought in the back of my mind and a worry that something so firmly in my wheelhouse that I've come to completely adore could just fizzle out through lack of funds or interest. I would profoundly miss listening to this lot gabbing about old TOTP episodes if it all fell through. Great to hear that they have active intentions to keep us all perpetually pop crazed.

Back in July 2016, Price and Stubbs discussed TOTP on this episode of Bigmouth:

https://podyssey.fm/episode/id2438006-Ep-%2313%3A-Top-Of-The-Pops-from-beyond-the-grave%2C-Melody-Maker-babylon%2C-The-Avalanches-Bigmouth

This was 9 months before Price's Chart Music debut.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Really enjoyed that, Satchmo, thanks for sharing it.

Stubbsy strikes me as a slightly formidable character. Not in a nasty, aggressive way, but he appears to be utterly at ease with himself and his opinions. He's like the cool, confident dad of Chart Music. Amazing to think that he wrote Mr Agreeable, as there's no trace of that bile in his real life persona.

It can't all have been performative comedy rage, some of the stuff he wrote in that guise was so specific and observant it must've been an exaggerated expression of his actual feelings. Catharsis, I suppose.

Yes, and I think the Wing Commander was a way for Stubbs to try to get rid of all the racism buried in his subconscious, like an exorcism of his inner Farage. Having done that, he could then write about the nasty xenophobia of Euro 96 with a cleansed brain.