Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I quite like Knocked It Off as well but BA Cunterson really is a cunt. You only have to look at this interview with Annabelle Lwin to see that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDK1dMNAJno

Wheeltappers and Cunters son

non capisco

He sounds like he's doing an impression of Rod Hull in the chorus to Knocked It Off.

Brundle-Fly

I had B.A. Cunterson's album, Mental Notes. Fuck. Forty years old, that.

I can't quite share the cartoon incandescent ire the CMP lot has for him. They make him sound like Albert Fish rather than just a smarmy songwriter cunt.  They forgot his crowning moment. This tune  from 2.04 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUi-Qx4UUw

non capisco

Also The La's ripped off Bang Bang and retitled it There She Goes.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on November 15, 2019, 11:44:29 PM
Also The La's ripped off Bang Bang and retitled it There She Goes.

Yes!

Brundle-Fly

The thing that is never said about him by the CMP lads is that he is actually, Shakin' Dury.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 15, 2019, 11:28:44 PM
They forgot his crowning moment. This tune  from 2.04 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUi-Qx4UUw

That's one of his, is it? That for me will always be the music that accompanied a coked up Nicolas Cage doing a roly poly and then chucking money at some cameramen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnfzOM5OjM

jamiefairlie

I think it's more him being part of the old school network of record biz types and DJs. I remember his assent well from the time and he really did just seem to appear from nowhere and be everywhere overnight. There was a huge stench of him being an establishment approved place man who'd been positioned as being slightly new-wavy but not really. Like those punk bands you see in Quincy and the like. He just seemed really dodgy.

jamiefairlie

I really do love this show, definitely the highlight of whatever grey day I'm having when it's released.

One thing I noticed in this episode is that there's a kind of group think peer pressure thing that's been going on for a while, with maybe Simon being the biggest exponent if it. For instance, when he's going on about how great that insipid Korgis song is, Neil sounded almost apologetic the he didn't like it and then said something along the lines of 'maybe I need to give it a bit more time'. No, it's fine to say that it's a shit song, you don't need to agree on an agreed blessed canon all the time. Simon also had a go at David Stubbs for having the audacity to not fall for the whole 'ABBA are the most important band ever' nonsense that being peddled.

dr beat

I see what you mean but I do think Sarah in particular is good at challenging any kind of assumed consensus.

Rizla

I once answered the phone to Cunterson. He said "tell (person whose phone it was) that B.A. rang". I should have said "rang rang?" but I didn't.

The Roofdog

I would have been sorely tempted to pity the fool.

Johnboy

i'll take bang bang over sham's tuneless racket any day

and terry hall was 20 and a half not nineteen

and madonna was 21(almost)

and neil's a bit loud

apart from that best podcast out there, soon every podcast will be people saying exactly what they think, no holds barred, tv radio dead

Phil_A

Saw an old documentary a while about the infamous record sales rigging scandal of the late seventies/early eighties, where record companies would basically bribe record shop owners to falsify sales figures of specific artists(back when it was all hand written in sales ledgers). And apparently one specific artist who benefited hugely from this was B.A. Robertson. That's how the cunt kept having all those hits!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Phil_A on November 24, 2019, 10:46:29 AM
Saw an old documentary a while about the infamous record sales rigging scandal of the late seventies/early eighties, where record companies would basically bribe record shop owners to falsify sales figures of specific artists(back when it was all hand written in sales ledgers). And apparently one specific artist who benefited hugely from this was B.A. Robertson. That's how the cunt kept having all those hits!

That documentary is on one of the CM YouTube playlists.

Nelson

Taylor's review of Bournemouth 0 Nowich City 0 in this month's WSC is the best writing I've seen in ages.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Reached out to Al a couple of times on social media recently, and without embarrassing him by publishing the details I gotta say he's a top fucking bloke. Mad respect.

DrGreggles

Always found him very responsive too.
The best thing is that you can hear his voice when you read his replies.

Panbaams

Chart Music fans may enjoy a new podcast, The Giddy Carousel of Pop, which reviews issues of Smash Hits.

dr beat

Watch out for Bates on a broomstick, looks like new CMP incoming, hopefully next Monday according to Al.

Johnboy

Quote from: Panbaams on December 05, 2019, 08:22:24 PM
Chart Music fans may enjoy a new podcast, The Giddy Carousel of Pop, which reviews issues of Smash Hits.

I gave the first episode of this a listen (late 85)- yeh it's good enough, not much swearing though

they say they'll be mainly sticking to the 80s and the two presenters seem alright

Campbell Soupe

Ooh it's Pogues vs Pet Shop Boys...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Not gonna lie, lads, when I saw there was a new episode of CM available, I almost shed a tear of joy.

A pop-crazed hand in the darkness.

SteveDave

Not exactly the two most dynamic guests to introduce a potential new crowd to. I would've gone for Taylor and Simon.

I find it hard to pay attention to David because his voice has a low modulations; just a bit too dry for this.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on December 16, 2019, 02:21:05 PM
Not exactly the two most dynamic guests to introduce a potential new crowd to. I would've gone for Taylor and Simon.

If people like this sample, they'll stick with it.

Also worth noting that David and Sarah did the first ever episode and it didn't stop it taking off.

shiftwork2

Not let down by CMP's interest in Christmas TOTP.  Sarah Bee's the right one for this one.

Anyone know if there is a way to import the wetransfer download into Apple Podcasts?  There's an option to 'add show by URL...' but it's looking for a feed I think.  Not a massive deal admittedly.

Neomod

Quote from: SteveDave on December 16, 2019, 02:21:05 PM

Is CM actually being pushed by Goredale Media* then?

* or whoever they are affiliated with now.