Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast

Started by DrGreggles, September 05, 2017, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chriddof

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on March 10, 2020, 08:16:31 PM
NME had the prophet of woke writing for them, who died fairly recently

Do you mean Steven Wells? He died in 2009.

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on March 10, 2020, 08:16:31 PM
On the other hand, it's a bit like Multicoloured Swap Shop vs. TISWAS to me.  With hindsight, you get these people who firmly nailed their colours to one mast or another but everybody I knew used to flick from one to he other, depending on what was on at any given moment.  I certainly had no loyalty to either, and I didn't with NME or MM either, they both got bought every week.

That was certainly the case with me also. Looking back, I enjoyed the writing in MM much more than the output of pretty much everyone else at the NME at that time, with the exception of Sylvia Patterson. (I can strongly recommend her book "I'm Not With The Band", if no one here's read it).

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Chriddof on March 11, 2020, 08:29:42 PM
Do you mean Steven Wells? He died in 2009.

That was certainly the case with me also. Looking back, I enjoyed the writing in MM much more than the output of pretty much everyone else at the NME at that time, with the exception of Sylvia Patterson. (I can strongly recommend her book "I'm Not With The Band", if no one here's read it).

I do mean Swells, yes.  And 2009 still seems like some point in the future to me...

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 11, 2020, 01:19:17 PM
Who was it that Paul Moody was always championing? Was it Blur? Regular Fries, obv.

I saw Regular Fries in a tent at some festival when absolutely blasted and having lost everyone I went with. I thought they were brilliant, although given the state I was in I'd probably have applauded a bag of chips on the stage. Never heard anything by them since though. Nor have I wanted to.

jamiefairlie

NME in the eighventies was a great read. The Morley/Penman axis was assuredly pretentious but they challenged and stretched your abilities as readers and it was very in tune with the serious/intense post-punk scene of the time . I lost interest during the whole 'hip-hop wars' era, couldn't be arsed with all that and they lost their way badly.

Neomod

Quote from: Jockice on March 11, 2020, 08:34:36 PM
I saw Regular Fries in a tent at some festival when absolutely blasted and having lost everyone I went with. I thought they were brilliant, although given the state I was in I'd probably have applauded a bag of chips on the stage. Never heard anything by them since though. Nor have I wanted to.

My mate Pat was in 'ver Fries'. I don't think he remembers it as a particularly enjoyable experience.

phantom_power

I am enjoying the Giddy Carousel of Pop podcast as a bit of Chart Music Lite in between marathon 4 hour sessions. It is much more gentle and less in-depth but still fun. A recent episode had David Hepworth on it, someone who I find to be incredibly dull. For someone who has had such an interesting life and met some amazing people, he can't half drone on and kill any anecdotes with a sort of smug drollness that sucks all the fun out of it

Johnboy

I went from Smash Hits to NME in 84 and rarely strayed into Melody Maker, maybe if one of my favourites was on the cover

stuck with it on and off through the hip hop wars but looking back at that 87-90 period it seems Melody Maker were ahead of the curve

I've since acquired a load of MMs from that era and there's great stuff in there but I'm fairly obsessed anyway with any magazines from the '80s, even the confused NMEs guitar vs house era are fascinating documents

what I'd really like to have a look at are Sounds from the 80s, they weren't trying to be cool, they just covered what they liked

DrGreggles

I was a Smash Hits kid 85-88, then Sounds and NME (88-91), then NME and MM (91-94), then just MM (94-96).
Then THE INTERNET!

MM was definitely funnier in the mid-90s.

There was a specific reason why I stopped reading the NME when I did, but I'm fucked if I can remember what it was.
They must have slagged off 'Regulate' or something...

easytarget

Quote from: phantom_power on March 12, 2020, 09:51:09 AM
I am enjoying the Giddy Carousel of Pop podcast as a bit of Chart Music Lite in between marathon 4 hour sessions. It is much more gentle and less in-depth but still fun. A recent episode had David Hepworth on it, someone who I find to be incredibly dull. For someone who has had such an interesting life and met some amazing people, he can't half drone on and kill any anecdotes with a sort of smug drollness that sucks all the fun out of it

Right?
I quite like the Word Podcast which Hepworth hosts and he's very interesting on that, but this double ep was a bit of a dud.

Panbaams

Aww, I rather like David Hepworth. Perhaps when he's with Mark Ellen there's an Eeyore/Tigger thing where they balance each other out and makes him easier to listen to.

His episode of The Giddy Carousel of Pop must be about the fourth time I've heard David Hepworth express amazement at the palaver of Smash Hits readers taking out their notepaper, writing a letter, posting it and so on, compared with people nowadays who unthinkingly fire off a tweet. I don't begrudge him having a "bit" to fall back on in interviews, but he always calls it Friends Forever notepaper, not Forever Friends!

non capisco

Al's just posted on the Patreon page that there's a new episode incoming shortly. If ever I needed a lovely long episode of this it's now.

DrGreggles

10 hours minimum please!

AYYYYYUP,  you Pop-Crazed Youngsters,

Again, apologies for leaving you hanging, but rest assured that;

1) We're all good

2) We're watching Stranglers videos, to ensure we're washing our hands on a regular basis

3) The next episode has been recorded and is currently being edited

4) We're having a think about what we can do to KICK THE TRUTH TO THE POP-CRAZED YOUTH while we're all on lockdown and can't do our usual jobs of work

5) We're really, really, REALLY appreciating your patronage right about now.

Sit tight and listen keenly, while we drop you a brand new musical commentary biscuit.

- Al

PS: https://youtu.be/SSjWbO89d6o

Crabwalk

Featuring the new single 'Aaah shat thur bed laaast naaaght'

dr beat

Some tentative indications on social media of new CMP incoming - 8pm tonight?

Funcrusher

This has become the equivalent of the Brucie threads for me - every time there's a new post I think it might be a new episode.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: dr beat on March 26, 2020, 02:59:12 PM
Some tentative indications on social media of new CMP incoming - 8pm tonight?

I don't think it is. I think it is in support of the NHS clap tonight at 8pm.

non capisco

New one on the Patreon! 1982, Sarah and Neil.

dr beat

Excellent, I was thinking earlier today it was Neil and Sarah's turn.

"Slip some coin down that groin"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

We need this glorious podcast now more than ever. Cheers, Al and co!

Schnapple

Cool. Neil and Sarah the most upbeat combo, too!

badaids

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 19, 2020, 01:19:11 PM
Some good egg has done an A to Z of Chart Music

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17nHuE5PtP4OaYbq76yT0B00ZZ5hv3ismr-26idmmKo0/mobilebasic

Thanks for posting this.  It made me realise that I need to start listening to Chart Music again from the beginning. Again. For the second time this year.

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2020, 07:55:54 PM
We need this glorious podcast now more than ever. Cheers, Al and co!

Hear hear!

dr beat

First 20 minutes - absolute tonic. Hoorah!

shiftwork2

Fuck, if this isn't currently welcome.  Cheers Al.

dr beat

Loving the dissection of the Bat Out of Hell video.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Dead Ringer for Love?

I love it whenever the gang have an enthusiastic discussion about something which, in a more cynical podcast, would be lazily sneered at. Dead Ringer for Love is great, for all the reasons described by Sarah, Neil and Al. It's an awesome tune, the video is fun, there's just so much to like about it.

Meat Loaf has curled out some malodorous shite in his time - and don't get me started on his records, eh readers?! - but Dead Ringer is a joyous banger.

As much as I love a good, funny, justified CM coat-down, you can't beat those moments where they just go, "Yeah, this is mint, isn't it? And here's why..."